God and Hockey (long, and unusual)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God and Hockey (long, and unusual)

I need to preface this by saying that I believe that God has no particular care for sporting results per se. Assertions by athletes that a victory is a result of prayer or being spiritual are not Biblically based, and it's not a result of one fanbase praying more than another, either. God doesn't work that way--He is concerned with individual people.

That said, I knew Michigan would be here today.

I've been a Michigan hockey fan for many years, but in 2004 my life changed as I developed a passion for Jesus Christ and my family moved to California to go to Bible College. I figured I wouldn't get to see Michigan play hockey much anymore. I caught games when I could, got every score, even used player names on my church planting projects (I named a hypothetical Sunday School teacher after an exciting new freshman named Carl Hagelin several years ago). I was okay with this--God has given us so much--but it was hard looking at what it would take to see Michigan play in Denver and seeing it was just too much.

But God brought us back to Duluth, and I got to go to Michigan's showcase game against Minnie at Yost last season. People care about college hockey here. And after I couldn't go to Michigan's game at Mariucci this fall, I got the bizarre impression that if God wanted me to go to a Michigan game this year, it would be in St. Paul. What was really weird about it is that I knew I couldn't go to the semis--I lead a recovery group Thursday evening. I felt this even after the Miami series, and very strongly after the idea of going to Marquette for the NMU series proved unworkable. And I don't believe in extra-biblical revelation (God communicating audibly to us).

It doesn't make any sense. God doesn't care about sports, He cares about people. And this is, in the greater scheme of things, frankly a pretty small. And I'm no more important than any other person on this board, in Duluth, or in Michigan. I can't explain why I would get to go to a hockey game, except that God is good. And that serving Him is worth it.

I gave up going to Michigan Hockey games to serve God. And now He's brought them to me. I'm going to Saint Paul!

Disclaimer: This does not in any way guarantee results. I firmly believe God did something similar for me in California, when after giving up attending Michigan football games, I got to go to a Rose Bowl. I had a great time, but Michigan got smoked by USC. And sporting results are not based on how spiritual fans or players are. Good thing, too--Michigan fans are outnumbered by UMD fans at my church by at least 80-to-1.
    Jesus Saves

Re: God and Hockey (long, and unusual)

I had my "experience" in 2004 as well. Jesus saves my friend.....

Comment

If God doesn't care about people, then explain Tech and their past 3 years? No mortals should have to go thru that kind of suffering.
      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

It's been a lot longer than 3 years of pain for Tech.

Side note to illustrate God's lack of interest in sports results: On Super Bowl Sunday, my Pastor encouraged people to come to the Sunday Evening service as he always does, and since a good percentage of our congregation are Packers fans, he jokingly suggested that if they came the Packers might do better in the game. I'm loathe to publicly contradict him, but at my usual time for announcements I was compelled to say this:

"Pastor, I agree that the Sunday Evening service will be great, but I have to say that I cannot guarantee football results for coming. I'm a Lions fan, and I've come to Sunday evening services for years, and it hasn't worked."
        Jesus Saves

Comment

It's great to know there are other brothers in Christ out there with my passion for college hockey! I'm an avid Fighting Sioux fan, when I pray for the team, it's usually to be a little humorous for my family, but my earnest prayer each time is that no matter the outcome, God gets the glory. I happen to know there are several believers on the Sioux team, and I pray for them to be strong as they face temptations and to be great witnesses for Christ to their unbelieving team mates. For reasons unknown to me, my favorite team lost a heart breaker, but I'm firm in the belief that God WILL get the glory, whoever wins or loses, and those players will have an opportunity to be witnesses for Him. Have a great time in St. Paul, Caustic!
          "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." Bilbo Baggins

Comment

Originally posted by Caustic Undertow View Post
            I need to preface this by saying that I believe that God has no particular care for sporting results per se. Assertions by athletes that a victory is a result of prayer or being spiritual are not Biblically based, and it's not a result of one fanbase praying more than another, either. God doesn't work that way--He is concerned with individual people.

That said, I knew Michigan would be here today.

I've been a Michigan hockey fan for many years, but in 2004 my life changed as I developed a passion for Jesus Christ and my family moved to California to go to Bible College. I figured I wouldn't get to see Michigan play hockey much anymore. I caught games when I could, got every score, even used player names on my church planting projects (I named a hypothetical Sunday School teacher after an exciting new freshman named Carl Hagelin several years ago). I was okay with this--God has given us so much--but it was hard looking at what it would take to see Michigan play in Denver and seeing it was just too much.

But God brought us back to Duluth, and I got to go to Michigan's showcase game against Minnie at Yost last season. People care about college hockey here. And after I couldn't go to Michigan's game at Mariucci this fall, I got the bizarre impression that if God wanted me to go to a Michigan game this year, it would be in St. Paul. What was really weird about it is that I knew I couldn't go to the semis--I lead a recovery group Thursday evening. I felt this even after the Miami series, and very strongly after the idea of going to Marquette for the NMU series proved unworkable. And I don't believe in extra-biblical revelation (God communicating audibly to us).

It doesn't make any sense. God doesn't care about sports, He cares about people. And this is, in the greater scheme of things, frankly a pretty small. And I'm no more important than any other person on this board, in Duluth, or in Michigan. I can't explain why I would get to go to a hockey game, except that God is good. And that serving Him is worth it.

I gave up going to Michigan Hockey games to serve God. And now He's brought them to me. I'm going to Saint Paul!

Disclaimer: This does not in any way guarantee results. I firmly believe God did something similar for me in California, when after giving up attending Michigan football games, I got to go to a Rose Bowl. I had a great time, but Michigan got smoked by USC. And sporting results are not based on how spiritual fans or players are. Good thing, too--Michigan fans are outnumbered by UMD fans at my church by at least 80-to-1.
            Religion is responsible for more deaths than any disease or weapon, keep supporting genocide.
            "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
            Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
            The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
            Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Seriously, Cross Cheque? Religion is the reason why most of Europe learned to read. Religion isn't all bad.

Enjoy the game tonight, Caustic.
              Places I've Seen a College Hockey Game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Compton Family Ice Arena, Conte Forum, Cross Insurance Arena (Cumberland County Civic Center), Dunkin' Donuts Center, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Fenway Park, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Pegula Ice Arena, Ralph Engelstad Arena, Schneider Arena, T.D. Garden, Tsongas Center, Thompson Arena, University of Southern Maine, Webster Bank Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                Religion is responsible for more deaths than any disease or weapon, keep supporting genocide.
                What religion did Hitler lead or espouse? He was actually a racist! Interesting original post, I am Catholic and save my prayers for other things I find more serious.

BTW the silence by the UND fans on the board is deafening.
                Last edited by LTsatch; 04-09-2011, 10:28 PM.
                YALE HOCKEY
                2013 National Champions

Comment

BTW the silence by the UND fans on the board is deafening.[/QUOTE]

We're too busy trying to soothe the sting. Having a hot goalie steal your thunder hurts!
                  "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." Bilbo Baggins

Comment

God hears and answers every prayer. The answer is not always what we ask for but what is best for us or who we pray for. God knows better than all of us as to what is best. Praying to win is rather futile as it is a selfish request which will not be answered in the way you ask. Praying for the betterment of those involved may include winning as a result or it may not, but either way it will be good for them. Please pray for an end to abortion as it is responsible for more deaths than anything else. As far as suffering goes, it has enormous value in that you can share in Jesus' suffering which has infinitely good value that overides anything evil. If you accept that suffering you can turn it into a high level prayer. The value of prayer is highly underestimated by us all. We all need to pray more for the good of all mankind and the glory of God.

Comment

God is a BU fan. i think the 2009 NCAA championship game pretty much proved that.

Comment

Originally posted by pigglegg View Post
                        God is a BU fan. i think the 2009 NCAA championship game pretty much proved that.
                        or that he hates Miami, what a tease that was......

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
                          God hears and answers every prayer. The answer is not always what we ask for but what is best for us or who we pray for. God knows better than all of us as to what is best. Praying to win is rather futile as it is a selfish request which will not be answered in the way you ask. Praying for the betterment of those involved may include winning as a result or it may not, but either way it will be good for them. Please pray for an end to abortion as it is responsible for more deaths than anything else. As far as suffering goes, it has enormous value in that you can share in Jesus' suffering which has infinitely good value that overides anything evil. If you accept that suffering you can turn it into a high level prayer. The value of prayer is highly underestimated by us all. We all need to pray more for the good of all mankind and the glory of God.
                          Having a relationship with God is extremely important, I just disagree with organized religion because it's leaders generally are serving a higher power like money instead of the highest power.
                          "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                          Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                          The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                          Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Working...
                          X