Best Ever Power Plays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Ever Power Plays

The 1996 Colorado College power play was very, very good.
    'If a man wants to eat fried chicken, he's gotta get greasy.' - Kenny Rogers

Fighting Sioux Hockey: Highest NCAA Playoff Winning Percentage

There's no more pompous group of sports fans in the Twin Cities than hardcore followers of Gophers men's hockey. That makes it quite entertaining to see them in full pout after an unexpected elimination from the NCAA tournament. - Reusse

Comment

Originally posted by PPGuru View Post
      Just watched that film clip and it caught my eye that the RPI goalie was wearing number zero. I don't think I've ever seen that before.
      Yes, Don Cutts did wear zero. He also has the distinction of being RPI's first NHL player, playing a few games for Edmonton in their first NHL season.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Yeah the "0" was funny as h*ll.

I was thinking that this Cox wasn't even UNH's best Cox - I assume that distinction would belong to Ralph ?

PPs from BU and Maine have been mentioned - I agree on Kariya et al. The % success posted for Wisc and BU is stunning. I was also thinking Harvard had a few in the 80-s in the McDonald-Fusco years, and I assume Oates-Servenis at RPI in mid 80's as well. Out East, one PP I remember as a kid was Clarkson's - they ran that pick play at the point - today that would get called every time.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
          Kariya Montgomery and Ingraham was pretty decent,of course they were pretty decent 5 on 5 also
          for almost the entire season, that team (as you well remember) outscored other teams' pps.

Comment

CC-2003 (sertich/senja)...

Comment

Karyia on the PP is best not to mention Mongomery playing with him.

Comment

84-85 Bulldogs: 36 percent. I think they are the last team to have a PP over 35 percent.
                How do they expect us to throw hotdogs at the gophers with that [Expletive deleted] net in front of us?

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard...

Original Penalty Box Member

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post

A top moment from UNH Men's hockey lore ! Terrific Video! Thanks for the post - been talked about so often, but seldom seen. Till now. Makes my day, week, month.....

Maybe a link to it from unhwildcats.com is in order.

Comment

Is the rest of the game on video also? I'd be quite interested in seeing Rick Smith's GWG, his second goal of the game and also his second of the season. It was a most interesting game from many aspects.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      Is the rest of the game on video also? I'd be quite interested in seeing Rick Smith's GWG, his second goal of the game and also his second of the season. It was a most interesting game from many aspects.
                      This power play is the only part I want to remember - I've repressed the rest of the game.
                      I don't know if a videotape of the entire game still exists. "zoofer" might know.
                      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

This power play is the only part I want to remember - I've repressed the rest of the game.
                        I don't know if a videotape of the entire game still exists. "zoofer" might know.
                        I figured as much. Actually it wasn't a powerplay because each team had three skaters on the ice due to two sets of matching penalties. It should be added that RPI had two defensemen, Dave Jack and Gerry Beauclair, in the box which probably hurt. I think that RPI only had five dmen dressed as fewer skaters were allowed back then. In any case, only three were in the video (#2 Rick Marsh, #5 Brent Goss [misnamed by the announcer], and #19 Mike Prpich).

I remember quite well listening to that game in my dorm room. It was considered quite a big upset when RPI, the 8th seed, beat UNH, the 1st seed. Of course, 8th seed in the ECAC back then was a middle-of-the-pack position.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

1976-77 Clarkson power play was over 40%
                          Murray Wright on the right board D
                          Bill Blackwood in the middle on the blue line
                          Dave Taylor at the top of the left wing circle
                          Marty McNally behind the net
                          Kevin Zappia on the goal line by the RW boards

Because everyone feared Taylor, the key scoring was the back door dunk to Zappia as McNally walked out from behind the net. Blackwood had a cannon from the blue line that if the PK packed it in, he would blow by the goalie.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

The haircuts look vintage "Slapshot".
                            Originally posted by mookie1995
                            bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                            Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                            Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Working...
                            X