ESPN Production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN Production

You would think ESPN could do a better job with the production values from the X.

The ice-level audio has a reverb that makes it sound like they're playing in a metal tunnel.

In the ND-UMD game they ran a video of a Zamboni with a magnetic sign hanging off the side.

And I'm not even going to mention the Melrose-isms.
    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Re: ESPN Production

Welcome to the world of ESPN covering college hockey.......or ANY hockey for that matter.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Maybe some donor will put up $88 million to correct this.
      Originally posted by SCSU Euro
      What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
        Welcome to the world of ESPN covering college hockey.......or ANY hockey for that matter.
        I've been watching the FF for years and it's never been this bad.

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
        Maybe some donor will put up $88 million to correct this.
        Nah -- we could fix it for about $88

Comment

I don't know, I think I like the incredibly loud skate noise whenever they go behind the net.

Also, does NoDak have a band or has ESPN chosen to only to mic UM's band for this game?
          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

..yeah & i thought that was a leather chair talking coll hockey between periods.. then i realized.. just Melrose & his new FF tan
            GO NU HOCKEY
            Always bullish on the future.
            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

ESPN Production

Solution to ESPN's pathetic coverage of college hockey: Take 4-6 Molson ice or Labatts
              and all will me well.
              When I was in college in upstate New York we used to watch Hockey Night in Canada on a small black & white TV wrapping tin foil around the rabitt ears. The brews made it
              tolerable. Oh yeah, it also was in French.........it was a lot better than watching snow
              machine racing in a blizzard!!! (higher beer requirement).

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
                Solution to ESPN's pathetic coverage of college hockey: Take 4-6 Molson ice or Labatts
                and all will me well.
                When I was in college in upstate New York we used to watch Hockey Night in Canada on a small black & white TV wrapping tin foil around the rabitt ears. The brews made it
                tolerable. Oh yeah, it also was in French.........it was a lot better than watching snow
                machine racing in a blizzard!!! (higher beer requirement).
                Well.. that was your problem. If you hadn't wrapped the foil around the rabbit ears, you'd have picked up Danny Gallivan and Dick Irvin rather than René Lecavalier.

But you are right -- Molson or Labatts makes it all good.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                  And I'm not even going to mention the Melrose-isms.
                  You mean like "NHL teams wish they had a big pair (of defensemen) like North Dakota?"
                  Or how they "can't get it up" (over Hunwick's pads)
                  2010-2011 Atlantic Hockey Pick 'Em Champion!
                  2013 Atlantic Hockey Postseason Pick 'Em Champion!
                  Air Force Falcons
                  2007 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA West Regional
                  2008 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional
                  2009 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional Final
                  2011 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional
                  2012 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional

Comment

How'd everyone enjoy the great post-game show on one of the biggest nights of college hockey?

Originally posted by AFHockeyFan View Post
                    You mean like "NHL teams wish they had a big pair (of defensemen) like North Dakota?"
                    Or how they "can't get it up" (over Hunwick's pads)
                    North Dakota fell to the Melrose Curse, every season I try and pick the opposite of his picks in the selection show b/c he's wrong a lot. I though he might have gotten lucky picking NoDak but FAIL.

Comment

After the first 5 minutes of the broadcast I couldn't tell if Melrose thought UND was a good team or not. We got it Silverback, they are (or should I say, WERE) good.

Comment

Did anyone else notice the camera kind of twitching during the 2nd and 3rd periods of the irish/doggs game on the HD broadcast?

Comment

The worst for me was listening to Melrose, after that it had to have been the micing of the bands. For the first game it seemed to only be picking up one instrument of the Notre Dame band and on top of that the kid seemed to be unable to hit a note. And then with UM playing their fight song every 90 seconds (which I guess wasn't ESPN's fault). I didn't notice any issue with the ambient mics on the inside of the glass.

Comment

Given the lame amount of college hockey on cable anyway here in Central Jersey, it seemed pretty good just to see a game. Is it me, however, or did that chyron that showed the teams and the score sit up there like a large black intrusion on the upper third of the screen. I have high def, but why pay for all that screen space if they are just going to fill it with a big black tombstone containing information that you already know. Other hockey broadcasts get you that information much more unobtrusively don't block out the action on the upper third of the screen to let you know who is playing. These graphics people seem to want to show off all the time, even if it means that you cannot see the game properly.

Comment

Meh. I was able to watch two games in HD without interruption.

Comment

Working...
                              X