$ money money money $

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $ money money money $

Please refer all posts that pertain to colleges buying championships to this thread.

Re: $ money money money $

no

Comment

D-III Rinks Map

"Who is that Viking up there?!" -Adrian Bench

SNC Fan: "Do you have many problems at the games?"
      Security Guard: "No, only when Point plays here."

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
        no
        Fine, but please stop clogging up the SNC thread with drivel.

Comment

Originally posted by snc1 View Post
          Fine, but please stop clogging up the SNC thread with drivel.
          Maybe, as a compromise, the SNC fans can post here about SNC things and let the other thread become the domain of westscout...
          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twkh0YiInPM
            Last edited by joeyc3402; 04-05-2011, 01:35 PM. Reason: (Can't watch it through the board - need to go to YouTube to watch this video)

Comment

SEC Baby!!!!
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

One of my favorites.

Go Cards: win or lose, The Better Team.
                A Lot of (Sometimes Tainted) SUNYAC Championships
                A Handful of ECAC West Championships
                A Number of NCAA Appearances, Including Several Trips to the Final Four, Though Some of Them Don't Count
                Some National Championships:
                Women's (THIS YEAR, LAST YEAR, A Couple Years Back, '08, '07)
                Men's (Wow Look at the Time Pass, A While before That)

Comment

Don't forget it cost almost as much for second.

Comment

So how does UW Superior get away with offering in state tuition to Canadian hockey players? That is financial aid. If I were a Wisconsin taxpayer I would not be happy subsidizing 16 Canadian players that appear on the current roster,and, I don't get me started on the 5 Minnesota players who also receive the same financial aid. I guess it is just taking advantage of the system.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernPike View Post
                      So how does UW Superior get away with offering in state tuition to Canadian hockey players? That is financial aid. If I were a Wisconsin taxpayer I would not be happy subsidizing 16 Canadian players that appear on the current roster,and, I don't get me started on the 5 Minnesota players who also receive the same financial aid. I guess it is just taking advantage of the system.
                      That's because they're here illegally.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

It is tough to cry for the UW state schools when it comes to recruiting. They have a lot working in their favor (state school tuition, reasonable admission standards, tuition reciprocity with a huge hockey state, etc.)

Comment

I can say that Oswego offers an International Scholarship that covers the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition (and I believe may be even greater than the difference). I believe the diference is roughly $8,400 and the International Scholarship is roughly $11,000 per year.

The key to this scholarship is that it does not only fund the hockey players, but also funds other international students. If it were simply funding the hockey players then it would be considered the de-facto scholarship (See Buff State and Genny). Likewise, Oswego also offers a Residential Scholarship that is offered only to students that are out-of-state students that are residents of the USA. This scholarship I believe is roughly $8,000 and covers the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition.

This is not 'taking advantage of the system', it is simply utilizing the system that is in place. Whether or not hockey was a major sport at Oswego, the institution would still be offereing these scholarships (Just as many other institutions do). If these schools were 'taking advantage of the system', then Oswego would be a power house in many other sports and not just hockey.

Do I believe some schools give better FA packages than other schools? Sure. These schools generally give better FA packages to all attending and not simply just to a specific group of students, i.e. hockey players.

If I were a taxpayer in New York, I would certainly be quite happy subsidizing out-of-state students in hopes that more people would be attracted to the area, thus boosting population and economy. Unfortunately (or fortunate due to the weather) for me, the economy in New York is quite poor at the time and a move down South was necessary to find a job after finishing a Master's degree! Anything that attracts more people to my area, I am all for.
                          Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
                          2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz View Post
                            This is not 'taking advantage of the system', it is simply utilizing the system that is in place. Whether or not hockey was a major sport at Oswego, the institution would still be offereing these scholarships (Just as many other institutions do). If these schools were 'taking advantage of the system', then Oswego would be a power house in many other sports and not just hockey.

Do I believe some schools give better FA packages than other schools? Sure. These schools generally give better FA packages to all attending and not simply just to a specific group of students, i.e. hockey players.
                            And that is the way the system is supposed to work. There should be no pool of money that is only available to athletes. The NCAA does monitor these things. That's how Buffalo State and Genesseo got caught last year. They had a very specific aid program. The program was for any Canadian student. The problem was that the vast majority of Canadian students were hockey players. When 90% of the students on an aid program are hockey players, it doesn't work. A generalized international aid package works better you are going to get a more diverse group of students. The Bahrani economics student, and the German math major all help to give the pool of recipients the diversity necessary to meet the NCAA test, which is basically "do some students' aid packages make it easier to identify a student as an athlete?" The answer to that question should be no. I can explain it in terms of conditional probability, but I won't.
                            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz View Post
                              I can say that Oswego offers an International Scholarship that covers the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition (and I believe may be even greater than the difference). I believe the diference is roughly $8,400 and the International Scholarship is roughly $11,000 per year.

The key to this scholarship is that it does not only fund the hockey players, but also funds other international students. If it were simply funding the hockey players then it would be considered the de-facto scholarship (See Buff State and Genny). Likewise, Oswego also offers a Residential Scholarship that is offered only to students that are out-of-state students that are residents of the USA. This scholarship I believe is roughly $8,000 and covers the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition.

If I were a taxpayer in New York, I would certainly be quite happy subsidizing out-of-state students in hopes that more people would be attracted to the area, thus boosting population and economy. Unfortunately (or fortunate due to the weather) for me, the economy in New York is quite poor at the time and a move down South was necessary to find a job after finishing a Master's degree! Anything that attracts more people to my area, I am all for.
                              Very well said, in fact, at Oswego I personally knew 4 kids from Ontario that weren't athletes and came in on scholarships. It actually helps the university gain "international students" and when the university itself is looked at by individuals outside of NYS, they'll see students out of state have the opportunity to get scholarships, thus boosting (in theory) applications and possibly out of state students (they pay more % of total cost in tuition). It's a much better system than many other states' schools have. There's a reason why SUNY is one of if not the best public college systems in the nation.

Comment

Working...
                              X