SNC Off Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SNC Off Season Thread

Still basking in the after glow of our 2nd National Championship, let's get our off season thread started for discussion about the outlook for the 2011-12 season.
    .....Biggest graduating loses, immediate needs, recruit updates and general speculation on the future of SNC hockey.
    We will be a very young squad next season with just three seniors (Soley, Joanette and Ryd), at this point, pending any incoming transfers.
    Greatest immediate need -- Identify #1 goalie. Will it be Martin or one of the expected two new goalie recruits??
    Feel good department -- Returning forwards and D men.
    Recruits -- Will we see immediate opportunity for a couple D-1 transfers?
    Last edited by pete99race; 04-02-2011, 08:45 AM.
    SNC Men:
    Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
    NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
    SNC Women:
    O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Re: SNC Off Season Thread

Originally posted by pete99race View Post
    Still basking in the after glow of our 2nd National Championship, let's get our off season thread started for discussion about the outlook for the 2011-12 season.
    .....Biggest graduating loses, immediate needs, recruit updates and general speculation on the future of SNC hockey.
    We will be a very young squad next season with just three seniors (Soley, Joanette and Ryd), at this point, pending any incoming transfers.
    Greatest immediate need -- Identify #1 goalie. Will it be Martin or one of the expected two new goalie recruits??
    Feel good department -- Returning forwards and D men.
    Recruits -- Will we see immediate opportunity for a couple D-1 transfers?
    Unless some D-I stud comes flying in, I would expect Martin to be the #1 on 10/15. Whether or not he is the #1 in March depends... Could this be like the 08-09 season for SNC between the pipes??

And what is it about Green and Gold unis that attract D-I transfers???
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Unless some D-I stud comes flying in, I would expect Martin to be the #1 on 10/15. Whether or not he is the #1 in March depends... Could this be like the 08-09 season for SNC between the pipes??

And what is it about Green and Gold unis that attract D-I transfers???
      I would expect a goalie rotation to start the season (with Martin and one of the new tenders). Hopefully going with one guy by mid season.
      SNC has had good recent success with D-1 transfers (O'Brien, Astle, Exton, Ekstrom, Soley to name a few).
      Although, we have had our share of wash outs
      SNC Men:
      NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
      SNC Women:

Comment

It is not the Green and Gold, it is the "academic aid" That is the key. It is easy to get d-1 transfers when they don't have to pay a lot of money to attend.

Westscout

Comment

Originally posted by westscout View Post
          It is not the Green and Gold, it is the "academic aid" That is the key. It is easy to get d-1 transfers when they don't have to pay a lot of money to attend.

Westscout
          They also may have some incentive to play on a class program like the one built, over the years, in De Pere.
          SNC Men:
          SNC Women:

Comment

Westscout
            Instead of posting inuendos, I suggest you contact the NCAA with evidence of your allegations. The competition between schools is not about the gross amount of aid, but the net cost of attendance. If you can find cases of players at SNC whose academic profile gives them a greater amount of financial aid than a non-athelete with a similar profile, you should report it. Otherwise, you come off as sounding jealous and immature.

I'm not even a fan of this program
            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
              Instead of posting inuendos, I suggest you contact the NCAA with evidence of your allegations. The competition between schools is not about the gross amount of aid, but the net cost of attendance. If you can find cases of players at SNC whose academic profile gives them a greater amount of financial aid than a non-athelete with a similar profile, you should report it. Otherwise, you come off as sounding jealous and immature.

I'm not even a fan of this program
              +1 on your comments with the exception of the last one. I believe that Westscout is just another frustrated Jacket fan. Long winters in Superior!
              SNC: 2008, 2011, 2012 and 2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Toe Blake's Brother View Post
                +1 on your comments with the exception of the last one. I believe that Westscout is just another frustrated Jacket fan. Long winters in Superior!
                It's not that I'm anti, I'm just trying to point out as a neutral fan I can see that he's being ridiculous

Comment

SNC is a great program. NU prof so is Norwich. It is also no secret within D-3 hockey, that these two programs give the best financial aid in the sport.

They sad thing is, that the NCAA will not do anything about it. D-1 is a different matter and a much more even playing field. It is no accident that the same few colleges are around deep in the NCAA's. I know it sounds like sour grapes.

It is fine with me that SNC is a great team. I am fan of Western hockey, but when a person wonders why they get so many d-1 transfers to come to a very expensive d-3 college, it doesn not take a prof, to see the reality of what it happening. If the NCAA did take a look, they would not like what they would see.

I suppose though that the reason is all to due with the quality of the student. I know, they all were 4.0 at the d-1 college before coming to SNC and they qualified for the top financial awards...wink wink.

Westscout

Comment

I am sure that USC football fans and Memphis basketball fans and Ohio state football fans would all say that cheating was not happening too, and that is d-1.

It goes on in D-3 as well. It just does not get investigated or reported like d-1. In d-3 is is easier to cheat.

Westcout

Comment

SNC is a great program. NU prof so is Norwich. It is also no secret within D-3 hockey, that these two programs give the best financial aid in the sport.

They sad thing is, that the NCAA will not do anything about it. D-1 is a different matter and a much more even playing field. It is no accident that the same few colleges are around deep in the NCAA's. I know it sounds like sour grapes.

It is fine with me that SNC is a great team. I am fan of Western hockey, but when a person wonders why they get so many d-1 transfers to come to a very expensive d-3 college, it doesn not take a prof, to see the reality of what it happening. If the NCAA did take a look, they would not like what they would see.
                      I suppose though that the reason is all to due with the quality of the student. I know, they all were 4.0 at the d-1 college before coming to SNC and they qualified for the top financial awards...wink wink.

Westscout
                      Thats the problem. If they looked, which they probably have, as long as they are giving the same amount to the 18 year old freshman from Cornwall Ontario Communications major who spends his weekends playing beer pong with his buddies while the hockey team is on a bus some where...there is nothing the NCAA can do. FA packages have only got bigger as the years have gone on as tuition has increased. Did Plattsburgh have sucess with FA back in the 90's, absolutley, but it was no where near what some teams are giving these days. Kids are now getting free housing, meal plans and still tuition break. But like I said, as long as they do it for all, there is nothing the NCAA can do, as of now. I would love to see a FA cap, but you will never see it because sports is a major money maker for most of the top schools. I guess SNC went with the "if you can't beat em Join em" TIC. Is it fair? Not really, but its legal. It's kind of why everyone hates the Yankees and now the Miami Heat. When those low budget teams beat the high rollers everyone cheers.
                      Remy Babineaux
                      remyb616@gmail.com
                      D3FHL Web Page

Comment

I guess if you cover your tracks and leave no paper trail, good for them. But don't be shocked when they get the d-1 tranfers. They are not going to Green Bay for the incredible academics and social life. They are going because the price is right.

Westscout

Comment

I think westscout is right on, to suggest that hockey players are paying close to $40,000 to attend St. Norbert, Norwich etc is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoss12 View Post
                            I think westscout is right on, to suggest that hockey players are paying close to $40,000 to attend St. Norbert, Norwich etc is ridiculous.
                            They probably arn't, but again, neither is the communication major from Canada who doesn't play varsity hockey.....
                            Remy Babineaux
                            remyb616@gmail.com
                            D3FHL Web Page

Comment

I don't know about SNC, but I used to serve on the financial aid committee at Norwich, and I know that in general the offers are pretty generous for all students (assuming that the endowment is doing well - which wasn't the case for the last couple of years), and there is strong faculty oversight of the whole process. Most financial aid is need based, not academically based. We also have ROTC scholarships, but very few hockey players want to go that route.

The NCAA does catch up with DIII programs that don't meet requirements. Consider Buffalo St., Genesseo, and UNE in hockey (Genesseo is a pretty highly regarded program out here), and the big blowup with Castleton Football this winter - the violation in question there let the College President to demand the resignation of the head coach for a scandal involving getting people to cosign a loan for a quarterback recruit.

Comment

Working...
                              X