Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hobey Hat Trick

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    So, none of these candidates are "perfect" Hobey Candidates. They all have issues in their past that conflicts with the four core criteria for the Hobey.

Matt Frattin and Cam Atkinson have both had issues with the law, while Andy Miele had academic issues.

They are all three deserving candidates, and if you are going to discount one for having prior issues with the core criteria, you need to discount all three. It is really as simple as that.
    Academic issues for Miele? If so, then this was before he was even a Miami student - he came in halfway through the freshman season, but spent the first half of the season playing for the Chicago Steel in the USHL (where he was leading the league with 41 points in 29 games) - it's not like he was on campus suspended from the team. He hasn't missed a game as an NCAA player due to academics.

What's next? A guy fails a social studies class in Jr. High so he is ineligible for the Hobey? I respect what Frattin has accomplished - he could easily have just bailed out...instead he got his act together and had a great year, but trying to disparage Miele and equate that with guys being arrested is pretty lame.

Comment

Well if Miele can't even pass his America classes, it wouldn't surprise me that he failed all his Social Studies classes in Junior High and he shouldn't be eligible Hobey.
      Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirty View Post
        Well if Miele can't even pass his America classes, it wouldn't surprise me that he failed all his Social Studies classes in Junior High and he shouldn't be eligible Hobey.
        Even Biddy can pass Social Studies!!!!
        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
        Originally posted by Quizmire
        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat64 View Post
          Academic issues for Miele? If so, then this was before he was even a Miami student - he came in halfway through the freshman season, but spent the first half of the season playing for the Chicago Steel in the USHL (where he was leading the league with 41 points in 29 games) - it's not like he was on campus suspended from the team. He hasn't missed a game as an NCAA player due to academics.

What's next? A guy fails a social studies class in Jr. High so he is ineligible for the Hobey? I respect what Frattin has accomplished - he could easily have just bailed out...instead he got his act together and had a great year, but trying to disparage Miele and equate that with guys being arrested is pretty lame.
          FWIW, Miele had academic issues and couldn't get into college right away, and had to sit out a semester. If people are going to freak out about Frattin's issues in the past, then it should be noted that the other two candidates also had issues in the past.

Again, as I've said many times, Miele is a deserving candidate, and if he wins (which I think he will) he will be a deserving winner.
          North Dakota
          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

FWIW, Miele had academic issues and couldn't get into college right away, and had to sit out a semester. If people are going to freak out about Frattin's issues in the past, then it should be noted that the other two candidates also had issues in the past.

Again, as I've said many times, Miele is a deserving candidate, and if he wins (which I think he will) he will be a deserving winner.
            And my point is that Miele has not had academic issues as a college student. You can see from the follow on posts that people assume he had academic issues as a member of Miami. If he had to improve his academics to gain entrance into the university, I don't see how that is a negative. If Miami had not needed his scoring after several injuries hit the team, he wouldn't have played at all that year and no one would be saying a thing. (As a side note, he scored a goal in his first game on his first shift.)

I am lucky, I was able to see Miele play on a weekly basis, so of course I am biased. I also believe that if Frattin wins, it is a deserved award - the guy has had a great year and I have a hard time not seeing UND take it all this year (especially having seen Notre Dame and Michigan several times this year). While I admire the fact that he got his act together, I don't think he should get extra credit over a guy that never got in trouble in the first place.

At the end of the day, none of us on this board have a vote so ultimately nothing we write or argue about here matters anyway. Good luck to your guys in the Frozen Four...and please beat Michigan

Comment

Matt Frattin - College Hockey Player of the Year

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new..._year_matt.php

there's no questioning his dominance, and leadership, over the course of this season.
              "He is the most pro ready of any player out there," said an NHL scout. "And from when I've met him, and talked to people, he seems to have turned things around and is a real character person."
              Last edited by SoCalSiouxFan; 04-02-2011, 01:40 AM.
              "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Matt Frattin - Leading Contender for Hobey Baker Award

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau.../index.htm#top

The leading contender ....for the Hobey Baker Award, given annually to the top player in college hockey, is North Dakota's Matt Frattin
                His top rival for hockey's version of the Heisman is Miami (Ohio) forward Andy Miele ... undersized (at just 5'8" and 175 pounds) and undrafted
                "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by Runninwiththedogs View Post
                  You need to seek out AZSioux then, I'm sure he knows of some other Sioux fans in the state who could get the Southwest Circle Jerk underway.
                  I prefer solo when I think about Matt.
                  I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
                    In all fairness though, who here can say they have not at least wanted to drink a few beers and toss riding lawn tractors into the street just after your team gets eliminated in the first round of the NCAAs.
                    Hey now, no need to bring Union fans into this - that's called "Friday" out in Schenectady
                    Last edited by HighlanderRPI; 04-02-2011, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                      No.

God made North Dakota a hellish flat wind-swept place where if you forget your socks, you get frostbite. god was a player that made a mistake, went to UND, and thus missed out on a National Championship that was won by much better teams. He now plays for the Devils, which is his punishment for past mistakes.
                      Minnesota is more the result of a deal than a creation of God. After a quarter century of watching UND and others take home multiple NCs, B'bub and Lucia made a deal whereby Minn got two Nodaks who could win a couple for them. The price? Only Lucia and B'bub (and possibly Parise, depending on your faith) know how long the gophers have to wait before playing in a tournament of any kind after Jan 1. To his credit, Lucia may have doubled down to get the BT conference where his girls can play cupcakes and celebrate regular season wins like they were tournament games. So if you see the gophs dog-pile after beating OSU in November, you know "the rest of the story."

Comment

Originally posted by Pat64 View Post
                        And my point is that Miele has not had academic issues as a college student. You can see from the follow on posts that people assume he had academic issues as a member of Miami. If he had to improve his academics to gain entrance into the university, I don't see how that is a negative. If Miami had not needed his scoring after several injuries hit the team, he wouldn't have played at all that year and no one would be saying a thing. (As a side note, he scored a goal in his first game on his first shift.)

I am lucky, I was able to see Miele play on a weekly basis, so of course I am biased. I also believe that if Frattin wins, it is a deserved award - the guy has had a great year and I have a hard time not seeing UND take it all this year (especially having seen Notre Dame and Michigan several times this year). While I admire the fact that he got his act together, I don't think he should get extra credit over a guy that never got in trouble in the first place.

At the end of the day, none of us on this board have a vote so ultimately nothing we write or argue about here matters anyway. Good luck to your guys in the Frozen Four...and please beat Michigan
                        I would never argue that Frattin (or Miele or Atkinson) should get extra credit for his issues. I look at the award as something that is based only on this year. All three candidates were solid in all core criteria this year. There are some though that want to look at past years, and if you do that, then you have to look at the issues with all three candidates, whether it happened two, three or four years ago.

Again, I feel that all three candidates are deserving of the award.
                        North Dakota
                        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

I would never argue that Frattin (or Miele or Atkinson) should get extra credit for his issues. I look at the award as something that is based only on this year. All three candidates were solid in all core criteria this year. There are some though that want to look at past years, and if you do that, then you have to look at the issues with all three candidates, whether it happened two, three or four years ago.

Again, I feel that all three candidates are deserving of the award.
                          of course you would say this, since your best player has a bunch of arrests and suspensions on his record. duh. hakstool even has a bail bond license, just to get UND players out of jail in time for the next game.
                          XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                          Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                            of course you would say this, since your best player has a bunch of arrests and suspensions on his record. duh. hakstool even has a bail bond license, just to get UND players out of jail in time for the next game.
                            Don't be sad that the Gophers don't have a Hobey candidate again this year. Think of the positives, when Frattin wins it you'll have another thing to whine about. Your life would consist of nothing if not for ripping on the Sioux. You should be glad for things like this or you'd have to kill yourself out of boredom.
                            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                              Even Biddy can pass Social Studies!!!!
                              And even teach it!!!!
                              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                                And even teach it!!!!
                                I wouldn't go that far.
                                Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Working...
                                X