Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NMU Wildcat 2011 Offseason

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    That is a possibility. There hasn't been any decision made on where the Manitoba Moose (owned by True North Sports and Entertainment, who now own the Thrashers (pending NHL BoG approval)) will be playing next season (if at all). There was some talk that the Moose would be moved to St. Johns Newfoundland, but nothing concrete yet. Any franchise that wanted to use Phillips Arena would need to work out a lease agreement with the Atlanta Spirit Group, and I don't think the ASG is going to try too hard to get hockey back in the area.

Former NMU alumnus Jeff Pyle is the head coach of the Gwinnett Gladiators in Duluth, GA which is in the north suburb of Atlanta. They've done pretty well for themselves, and there is some scuttle that they may be exploring moving up to the AHL. But for Gwinnett to move up, they need to buy an available franchise, or merge with someone with a franchise available (TNSE?).

As for Waddell, I think his GM ability is tarnished thanks to ASG. He was handcuffed often by the owners regarding player transactions, and was their fall guy for "letting ATL hockey fail." I really think he'd do well as the next NMU Athletic Director if that position became available. Plus, you'd have two NHL guys heading up key parts of NMU athletics.
    The Moose are no longer likely to go to St John after a possible government subsidy was denied there. For the Gladiators, a move to the AHL is simple bad business. They are a profitable franchise right now that has the ability to contend each year. They have one of the best Coach/ GM combos in Pyle and Steve Chapman. A move to the "A" would bring increased costs and could actually decrease revenue if the NHL team doesnt provide them with the tools to win. A possible home for the Moose could be Kansas City or Thunder Bay, where the ownership holds an option on the arena. They could also mothball the franchise for a year and share affiliation while they find a suitable market and have time to build a franchise and a brand there.

Don't look for Waddell to be offered another GM spot soon. He actually had not alot to do with hockey ops this year, which Rick Dudley handled.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
      The Moose are no longer likely to go to St John after a possible government subsidy was denied there. For the Gladiators, a move to the AHL is simple bad business. They are a profitable franchise right now that has the ability to contend each year. They have one of the best Coach/ GM combos in Pyle and Steve Chapman. A move to the "A" would bring increased costs and could actually decrease revenue if the NHL team doesnt provide them with the tools to win. A possible home for the Moose could be Kansas City or Thunder Bay, where the ownership holds an option on the arena. They could also mothball the franchise for a year and share affiliation while they find a suitable market and have time to build a franchise and a brand there.

Don't look for Waddell to be offered another GM spot soon. He actually had not alot to do with hockey ops this year, which Rick Dudley handled.
      Waddell could be the GM for the the Huskies.

Comment

I know we have B1G threads already, but this topic I'd rather get more local discussion about:
        http://bangordailynews.com/2011/06/0...g-hockey-east/
        With the re-shuffling of Division I college hockey prompted by the addition of Penn State and the Big Ten Conference in the 2013-2014 season, Hockey East could find itself adding one of the nation’s most prominent institutions: Notre Dame.

“It’s a possibility,” acknowledged Notre Dame head coach and former Lake Superior State head coach Jeff Jackson. “I know our athletic director and associate athletic director are doing their due diligence in looking at all of the the alternatives.

“I have a lot of respect for the programs and coaches in Hockey East,” said Jackson. “That has been one of the premier leagues in the country over the last 15 years.”
        There's a whole lot more to the article, but the gist is that ND is doing due diligence in finding out just what is right for them.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I know we have B1G threads already, but this topic I'd rather get more local discussion about:

There's a whole lot more to the article, but the gist is that ND is doing due diligence in finding out just what is right for them.
          I can see Notre Dame moving to Hockey East all there other programs play out east why not hockey.

Comment

Great writing by the Bangor newspaper out here in Maine. I really like hearing about VS. for college hockey. I think it would be a good fit and hopefully could feature a Friday or Saturday night game of the week since their NHL coverage in limited to Monday and Tuesday nights. They cover college football, basketball and rugby already.

Back to NMU's stance, and I believe this is where NMU has to be proactive and do what is best for the program and not the CCHA as a whole. The only realistic move for NMU is to the WCHA. The CCHA needs to be talking to Mercyhurst, Niagaria and Robert Morris right now as teams to step in and some larger colleges that may be looking to add college hockey (Im looking at you Syracuse).
            Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
            1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
            1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
            2006-2007: 15-24-2
            2007-2008: 20-20-4
            2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
              Great writing by the Bangor newspaper out here in Maine. I really like hearing about VS. for college hockey. I think it would be a good fit and hopefully could feature a Friday or Saturday night game of the week since their NHL coverage in limited to Monday and Tuesday nights. They cover college football, basketball and rugby already.

Back to NMU's stance, and I believe this is where NMU has to be proactive and do what is best for the program and not the CCHA as a whole. The only realistic move for NMU is to the WCHA. The CCHA needs to be talking to Mercyhurst, Niagaria and Robert Morris right now as teams to step in and some larger colleges that may be looking to add college hockey (Im looking at you Syracuse).
              IIRC, the one of the main reasons NMU chose to stay in the CCHA was the appeal of playing Meechigan and State, using it both as a recruiting tool for athletes and an exposure tool for prospective students in southern Michigan. Now that those two will be gone, it seems like getting out of the CCHA might be in their better interests.
              Always a Wildcat...
              Originally posted by Kepler
              If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Originally posted by nmupiccdiva View Post
                IIRC, the one of the main reasons NMU chose to stay in the CCHA was the appeal of playing Meechigan and State, using it both as a recruiting tool for athletes and an exposure tool for prospective students in southern Michigan. Now that those two will be gone, it seems like getting out of the CCHA might be in their better interests.
                Hopefully the NMU Wildcats hockey team applies pretty soon. Because the WCHA is where the NMU Wildcats should have never left.

Comment

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
                  I was quite surprised to see that Versus (future NBC Sports) is interested in College Hockey, but I get the feeling that's partially Notre Dame driving that one if they get into a "bigger" conference.

Originally posted by nmupiccdiva View Post
                  I'm thinking the same thing. NMU lost it's ability to market itself well (via the hockey program) in the middle and eastern parts of the state. Relying on making the Joe every year (if the CCHA stays there minus UM/MSU) isn't going to cut it for marketing. Nor does the loss of a state-wide television audience to draw attention from (FSN-Det, I feel, isn't going to keep CCHA hockey without UM/MSU).

I don't know what I think NMU should do (which is why I'm not being paid for my advice). The WCHA is crowded, and unless room is made, there isn't room to take on NMU. If room gets made in the WCHA, that most likely means that the "big" WCHA schools have left the conference... is that really much better than staying with the CCHA?

Eff it. Let's go D1 in everything and join the MAC.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I was quite surprised to see that Versus (future NBC Sports) is interested in College Hockey, but I get the feeling that's partially Notre Dame driving that one if they get into a "bigger" conference.

I'm thinking the same thing. NMU lost it's ability to market itself well (via the hockey program) in the middle and eastern parts of the state. Relying on making the Joe every year (if the CCHA stays there minus UM/MSU) isn't going to cut it for marketing. Nor does the loss of a state-wide television audience to draw attention from (FSN-Det, I feel, isn't going to keep CCHA hockey without UM/MSU).

I don't know what I think NMU should do (which is why I'm not being paid for my advice). The WCHA is crowded, and unless room is made, there isn't room to take on NMU. If room gets made in the WCHA, that most likely means that the "big" WCHA schools have left the conference... is that really much better than staying with the CCHA?

The Yooperdome isn't big enough to be a legal D1-A football stadium, which is what NMU would need to have to be in the MAC with the other directionals. And there's not really any other D1 conference that would offer NMU better travel than what the GLIAC already does for stuff like basketball and volleyball.
                    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

• Re: NMU Wildcat 2011 Offseason

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                      The Yooperdome isn't big enough to be a legal D1-A football stadium, which is what NMU would need to have to be in the MAC with the other directionals. And there's not really any other D1 conference that would offer NMU better travel than what the GLIAC already does for stuff like basketball and volleyball.
                      Dammit. I'd presume the similar minded school conferences (Horizon League) wouldn't be enough of a revenue boost to make the increased travel worth it.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

You also have to average 15,000 in attendance for football. That's never gonna happen.
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Well, the WCHA has two B1G schools in Wisconsin and Minnesota, so there are 2 holes to be potentially filled. It would make the Tech series actually make some freaking sense and matter for something again, and while it won't really help for Michigan recruiting, we could get a chance to get better players out of the hockey hotbed that is Minnesota. That, and the WCHA has some decent programs outside of their B1G schools, especially NoDak and a certain team in the town in which I live that may or may not have just beat out Meeeechigan for a National Title...

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                          You also have to average 15,000 in attendance for football. That's never gonna happen.
                          Ha. We can't even hit 10% of that. I think some of the games I had to be at had fewer than 1,000 people.
                          Always a Wildcat...
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                            You don't have to have to average 15,000 actual live bodies in the stadium to stay D1-A. You just gotta have a few deep pocket alums that will buy a thousand or so extra tickets at a discounted price per game to stay D1-A. Thats the way Eastern Michigan does it I've heard. GVSU likely averages better than them in actual bodies at the games.
                            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

Comment

• And heck, for NMU to now get into the WCHA, they're going to need somebody else to come along with them. Other than the Irish, there's not really any good program out there that the WCHA would really want.

It just happens.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                                And heck, for NMU to now get into the WCHA, they're going to need somebody else to come along with them. Other than the Irish, there's not really any good program out there that the WCHA would really want.
                                Miami Ohio

Comment

Working...
                                X