Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NMU Wildcat 2011 Offseason

The divisional meetings are for Division I and Division III
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by nmupiccdiva View Post
      This should be very interesting. Super shady that they're having that last meeting at 7:30 on Saturday, though. Super super shady.

Question, though: who goes to represent the schools who currently are in the coaching hunt?
      730am...The coaches do have flights to catch later in the day
      Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
      1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
      2006-2007: 15-24-2
      2007-2008: 20-20-4
      2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        State has a home football game against Indiana that weekend. That is likely the reason for the potential swap.
        Per your Twitter, I see they decided against swapping out locations?
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
          Per your Twitter, I see they decided against swapping out locations?
          I'm certain that NMU refused the swap which would have give the Cats 9 of 11 games on the road, with only one home weekend between Jan 14 and Feb 24. No brainer there.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            I'm certain that NMU refused the swap which would have give the Cats 9 of 11 games on the road, with only one home weekend between Jan 14 and Feb 24. No brainer there.

I'm sure they did it for SECTION 12 and me. Now we don't have to crawl out of the bush mid-deer season to raz Anastos.

Comment

Crap. I see the MSU series in Marquette is in fact in November.

Not much hockey to watch after early January in Marquette.

Comment

Just a bump. Tuomas' younger brother Iiro Tarkki was signed by the Anaheim Ducks to a one year deal.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

bump

Comment

So while the hullabaloo in the UP was over MTU's coaching search, NMU has started a mini-renovation at the Berry. New boards and glass are (presumably) being put in.

Or... they were just giving the floor a good power cleaning to get all the dirt and gunk out from the concrete surface.

Live webcam shot here:
                    http://www.acs.nmu.edu/campics/berry.jpg

*Edit* CatChatTV had word that it was seamless glass being installed.
                    http://catchattv.org/catchat/index.p...a&catid=2:news

I agree yet disagree with their assessment. Seamless glass is bad BEHIND the nets where there is less give in the glass. I would like to see seamless SIDE glass, with the traditional metal stanchion supported panels behind the nets.
                    Last edited by aparch; 05-19-2011, 11:23 AM.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Former NMU assistant John Olver has a new gig in the ECHL:
                      http://echl.com/veteran-coach-olver-...-staff-p171170
                      The Bakersfield Condors, official ECHL affiliate of the Minnesota Wild, have announced John Olver has joined the organization as Assistant to the Head Coach and Director of Player Personnel. He will assist Head Coach Marty Raymond specifically in the areas of recruiting and scouting at the pro and amateur levels.

Olver is a familiar name to Condors fans, having spent 10 seasons as head coach and general manager with three different Condors foes: the Fresno Falcons, Tacoma Sabercats and the Idaho Steelheads. His resume includes a Taylor Cup Championship in the West Coast Hockey League with Tacoma in 1999 and a Kelly Cup title with Idaho in ECHL play in 2004.
                      IF Brian Stewart stays assigned to the Condors by the Philadelphia Flyers, how do you think THAT reunion is going to go?

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Why would there be a problem?

Comment

There's very little give to our boards and glass anyway. The reason the NHL is switching is that a newer product is out.

Comment

NMU Alum Don Waddell has been told he will not be following the Atlanta Thrashers to Winnipeg and will (as of right now) remain employed by the Atlanta Spirit Group. For how long a hockey guy will remain employed by the now Basketball/Arena owners, I don't know.

But I'd certainly like to see what he could do as an athletic director. He certainly is passionate about hockey, and cared more for the Thrashers than the ASG ownership group did.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                              NMU Alum Don Waddell has been told he will not be following the Atlanta Thrashers to Winnipeg and will (as of right now) remain employed by the Atlanta Spirit Group. For how long a hockey guy will remain employed by the now Basketball/Arena owners, I don't know.

But I'd certainly like to see what he could do as an athletic director. He certainly is passionate about hockey, and cared more for the Thrashers than the ASG ownership group did.
                              There isn't anything where Winnepeg would get the NHL team and Atlanta the AHL team is there? That might be a reason for stick around in Atlanta. Do a little dirty work there in Atlanta and wait for the next big GM position to open up in the NHL.
                              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                                There isn't anything where Winnepeg would get the NHL team and Atlanta the AHL team is there? That might be a reason for stick around in Atlanta. Do a little dirty work there in Atlanta and wait for the next big GM position to open up in the NHL.
                                That is a possibility. There hasn't been any decision made on where the Manitoba Moose (owned by True North Sports and Entertainment, who now own the Thrashers (pending NHL BoG approval)) will be playing next season (if at all). There was some talk that the Moose would be moved to St. Johns Newfoundland, but nothing concrete yet. Any franchise that wanted to use Phillips Arena would need to work out a lease agreement with the Atlanta Spirit Group, and I don't think the ASG is going to try too hard to get hockey back in the area.

Former NMU alumnus Jeff Pyle is the head coach of the Gwinnett Gladiators in Duluth, GA which is in the north suburb of Atlanta. They've done pretty well for themselves, and there is some scuttle that they may be exploring moving up to the AHL. But for Gwinnett to move up, they need to buy an available franchise, or merge with someone with a franchise available (TNSE?).

As for Waddell, I think his GM ability is tarnished thanks to ASG. He was handcuffed often by the owners regarding player transactions, and was their fall guy for "letting ATL hockey fail." I really think he'd do well as the next NMU Athletic Director if that position became available. Plus, you'd have two NHL guys heading up key parts of NMU athletics.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X