Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NMU Wildcat 2011 Offseason

Originally posted by NMUFAN21 View Post
    I think some of these are wrong, because I clicked around a bit and the only ones that I could find were Florek and Coreau.

By the way, any word on if Hanson will sign with the rangers?
    I was just posting what I had heard. If the guys decided to not go to prospect camp, or were told not to since I was initially told, then things changed.

If the Blueshirts like him, they'll probably tell the Connecticut Whale to sign him to an AHL deal.

Nice to see Florek on the front page of Bruins.com. Now that he sees the start of the NHL career, now is the time to show the Bruins why they drafted him. Hoping for a stellar senior year from him.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Not that my vote counts, but I nominate Florek for Captain this year!

http://www.nesn.com/2011/07/justin-f...mmage-of-.html

Anthony Camara scored the lone goal for the White squad in the opening period, but Justin Florek stole the show, scoring a pair of goals and setting up another to lead the Black squad to a 3-1 victory before a completely packed house in Wilmington.

"I think we were all ready to get out there and scrimmage," Florek said. "Get away from all the power skating and just be who we are out there, be ourselves in a scrimmage."

Florek is proving himself to be an intriguing prospect. Drafted in the fifth round in 2010, Florek put up 13-15-28 totals in 39 games last year at Northern Michigan University, where the 6-foot-4, 194-pound left wing will return this fall for his senior season.
      "We had a couple guys driving the net, so that forced the d-men and the goalie to respect them a bit," Florek said of his first goal. "It opened up that top corner for me and I just fired it in there. I got into a groove there and just felt great with those two guys.

"It was a lot of fun out there," Florek added. "It was a great scrimmage playing with Ferlin and [Ryan] Spooner, two great players. Setting each other up like that was a lot of fun."
      And why I see him being captain:
      As a college player, Florek had to pay his own way to come to the camp because of NCAA rules against accepting any benefits from a professional team. He's been working in his hometown of Marquette, Mich., taking care of the town's baseball and softball fields to make the money he needed. He's applied that same work ethic on the ice and in the classroom, where he's pursuing a degree in secondary education.

"My dream job after hockey would be being a high school teacher and a hockey coach," Florek said.

Florek is getting some practical experience in that field this week as he helps mentor the younger kids in camp. His own experience in his first camp last year has helped him come into this camp with more confidence and poise.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
        So, with the waters clearing up a little bit...I figured I'd discuss NMU's choices from here on out.

First: Stay in the CCHA, albeit, re-tooled CCHA. Right now its NMU, LSSU, Ferris, Western, Bowling Green, Notre Dame. The Irish could be on the move before the end of the summer. Intentions have to be made by August for next season, so we should know if they move to the new league, B1G, or Hockey East. Notre Dame's move doesnt impact NMU too much, but does impact the future of the CCHA. If ND stays, it remains a 6 team league and its autobid status. Should they leave, the CCHA would have to make some moves. Look at some AHA teams to slide into the CCHA. Niagara, Robert Morris (PA) and Mercyhurst are the likely schools.

Second: The WCHA is depleted down to 5 teams after the move. They NEED to add teams. An obvious fit would be NMU, as travel costs would likely remain the same with trips to Denver, Colorado Springs, and Grand Forks off the schedule (though in the 12-13 season, NMU will be making the trek). MTU, St Cloud, BSU, Mankato and UAA (no different than the UAF trip). Basically, it comes down to road trips to Ferris, Western, and possibly PA, and NY.

Third: Do Nothing and have the WCHA and CCHA Merge. An unlikely scenario since it would take away an auto bid and give an at large to the teams that these schools dislike at the moment (the B1G and the New League).
        It's highly unlikely that either Notre Dame or Western remains in the CCHA. One thing I do know is that there has been a lot of work going on behind the scenes in the NMU Athletic and Hockey departments and by President Les Wong in planning for the future. They just haven't played the game in the media. Although I don't know exactly how things will turn out in the end, I know they have been very proactive in exploring and doing due diligence on all the options that are available. And it's not something that has just come up since the Big10 official announcement. However it all turns out, I'm pretty confident that the outcome will be very positive for NMU.
        Last edited by davyd83; 07-11-2011, 10:56 AM.
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
          It's highly unlikely that either Notre Dame or Western remains in the CCHA. One thing I do know is that there has been a lot of work going on behind the scenes in the NMU Athletic and Hockey departments and by President Les Wong in planning for the future. They just haven't played the game in the media. Although I don't know exactly how things will turn out in the end, I know they have been very proactive in exploring and doing due diligence on all the options that are available. And it's not something that has just come up since the Big10 official announcement. However it all turns out, I'm pretty confident that the outcome will be very positive for NMU.
          This is very encouraging to hear... This is not the time for NMU to just sit aside and let things play out... Go out and make your own situation in this deal...
          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
            This is very encouraging to hear... This is not the time for NMU to just sit aside and let things play out... Go out and make your own situation in this deal...
            Believe me, no one has been sitting aside. They have been all over it for quite some time.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

completely irrelevant to the current topics, but college hockey inc. posted a nice video of Mike Santorelli talking about his collegiate career at Northern.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx84D...el_video_title

This was also posted in the Alumni Thread.

This one is about the current topics. I'm sure most of you have already seen this (http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new..._return_to.php), but apprently NMU is rumored to be going to the WCHA.
              Last edited by NMUFAN21; 07-11-2011, 03:01 PM.
              NMU

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN21 View Post
                completely irrelevant to the current topics, but college hockey inc. posted a nice video of Mike Santorelli talking about his collegiate career at Northern.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx84D...el_video_title

This was also posted in the Alumni Thread.

This one is about the current topics. I'm sure most of you have already seen this (http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new..._return_to.php), but apprently NMU is rumored to be going to the WCHA.
                If this turns out to be true, WELCOME WILDCATS! Happy to have you!

Comment

No decision has been made yet on where the NMU hockey team is heading in the future but there very well could be one made by noon on Thursday.

NMU is holding a board of trustees meeting that is open to the public beginning at 9 a.m. on Thursday in room 602 of the Cohodas building. The future of the hockey program will be discussed.

I'll tweet updates from the meeting at twitter.com/mattwellens for those out of town or in work. For those with a free morning, feel free to take a seat beside me.

Oh, they are also talking about raising tuition again which should continue to scare me from ever going to grad school.

http://www.miningjournal.net/page/co....html?nav=5075
                  www.mattwellens.com

www.miningjournal.net

"brilliant, mother ********** brilliant
                  wellens... you are a god among college sports analysts" - The Stew

Comment

After having done my "due diligence," I said on today's "Mornings in Marquette with the Fat Man" that "it is my opinion" that NMU is likely to join the WCHA along with Alaska-Anchorage, Minnesota State, St Cloud State, Bemidji State, Michigan Tech and possibly Alaska-Fairbanks. NMU coach Walt Kyle declined comment on any potential move, other than to say that NMU has been actively exploring and doing due diligence on all options for quite some time. Based upon information I have received, I think an announcement of NMU's plans for the future could come in the next week to 10 days.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                      I was just posting what I had heard. If the guys decided to not go to prospect camp, or were told not to since I was initially told, then things changed.

If the Blueshirts like him, they'll probably tell the Connecticut Whale to sign him to an AHL deal.

Nice to see Florek on the front page of Bruins.com. Now that he sees the start of the NHL career, now is the time to show the Bruins why they drafted him. Hoping for a stellar senior year from him.
                      I have verified that Cherniwchan, Follmer, and Epp are at the Capitals camp.

here is a nice article about Erik Gustafsson, somewhat about his camp.
                      http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...125469493.html
                      NMU

Comment

Now where did I put my NMU / WCHA t shirts from a few years ago ???

I remember being excited when we moved to the CCHA, now I'm excited to move out of it...
                        NMU '99

Comment

NMU Hockey has received a unanimous blessing by the Board of Control... err, Board of Trustees to pursue membership into the WCHA for the 13-14 season. This is the same season that the B1G Conference starts play, along with the Motel 6 National Collegiate Hockey Conference starts play.

This leaves the CCHA for the 13-14 season with: Lake State, Ferris State, Alaska (Fairbanks), Bowling Green. And possibly Western if Notre Dame can shake them off their coattails.

I fully expect the WCHA announcement tomorrow to include NMU in it's discussion.

Welcome back to the WCHA NMU!

I may need to get to photoshopping my sig line to change the dial to 0.
                          Last edited by aparch; 07-14-2011, 09:19 AM.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

On behalf of an SCSU fan, welcome back. I can't wait for a 2013-2014 Marquette road trip.

Comment

How about a Marquette Road Trip in 2011? The Huskies travel to NMU this October!

Comment

Congrats and welcome back, NMU!
                                St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Working...
                                X