Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NMU Wildcat 2011 Offseason

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    Also, there is a moratorium on colleges playing in one division (ie: d2 all sports) and playing up in just one (ie: d1 mend hockey)

The NCAA has stopped this thanks to the football and basketball schools. Hockey, and other minor sports, are affected by preventing smaller schools (d2, d3) start up d1 hockey programs.

Already member schools were grandfathered in, but if they don't use it, they lose the exemption status ad cannot play up (RIT, RPI, CC, NMU, etc)

If NMU is committed to D1 hockey, they cannot waffle and back down. It's d1 or the death of NCAA hockey at NMU.

Personally, I think we're positioned to have a real fighting chance. Or, our Athletic Department can let that chance go by.
    It'd make sense for the NCAA to make a D-1/D-2 tournament, like they do for other sports (women's hockey maybe?) Not that either Tech or Northern should go down to D-2, but we'd pick up a few more schools that can't otherwise be counted.
    Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
    I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
    Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by RamboWildcat View Post
      Bottom line NMU - beg to join the WCHA or make a major powerplay move and get involved in a merger of the CCHA and WCHA. Time for President Wong to get out of his lethargic coma and step up!! NMU has been in a daze sitting around watching this unfold.....they had their shot a couple years ago to re-join the WCHA. If they don't get involved in a big move of their own, they are in serious trouble. This non-action and statements by Wong, we are weighing our options is foolish. Too much is at stake. I don't think anyone wants NMU to drop to D-3 in five years, but the warning bell is sounding, folks. Come on Wong!!
      The financial ramifications of joining the WCHA at that time and the uncertainty of the college hockey landscape were reasons to not make the move, add to that the base of NMU alumni that has seen them play at the Joe nearly every year. If the Cats had jumped to the WCHA at that point, they would be in no different position than they are today.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        The financial ramifications of joining the WCHA at that time and the uncertainty of the college hockey landscape were reasons to not make the move, add to that the base of NMU alumni that has seen them play at the Joe nearly every year. If the Cats had jumped to the WCHA at that point, they would be in no different position than they are today.
        I think we're in a better position than had we jumped to the WCHA. If/when the Super6/8 conference is announced, had we jumped to the WCHA, we may be asking to re-join the CCHA.

I'm pleased that we have a bit more control over what we do, and NMU can be looked upon as not contributing to this disaster.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
          Well, with the way things are right now for 2013...we still have an auto bid. But with Western and Notre Dame rumored to be on the move, the auto bid will be gone.
          The key is still Notre Dame. If they go to Hockey East, it's unlikely that Western goes to the new conference. I don't buy the doom and gloom sayers. However it shakes out, NMU will end up with a home in a solid conference. Is it a six team CCHA with Western or a CCHA which adds a couple more like Robert Morris, Mercyhurst, Niagara or Alabama-Huntsville? Is it in the WCHA? Is it in a league formed by a WCHA/CCHA merger? Who knows. At this point it's too early to figure it out. One thing I do know for sure is that there is a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes right now. All players are keeping their cards close to the vest for sure, and that's probably the best way for them to do it. One thing for sure is that I feel no sympathy for the WCHA. They had already approached Miami and Notre Dame and invited them to join. Anything they want to say about the "best interests" of college hockey is bovine excrement.
          Last edited by davyd83; 07-08-2011, 12:07 PM.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

If we're going to be hanging out together for a few more years, can we at least scheme to get some new conference leadership? I've been less than impressed. Or hell, figure out a way to make the "Super Integer" think that making Judy Bailey commissioner would be smart?
            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              Pretty low key weekend events, but the public is certainly invited to the Upfront and Co. this Friday night to meet with some former players (including a few guys from the '91 team) and former staff. From 5pm till 9pm.

Also, the following guys have been invited to NHL prospects camp within the next few weeks:
              Florek - Boston Bruins
              Follmer, Cherniwchan - Washington Capitals
              Coreau - New York Rangers
              Gron - Edmonton Oilers
              Epp - Philadelphia Flyers (was also shown interest by the Capitals)

They're not looking to poach, this is more to see if these guys could develop into NHL'ers, or at least AHL'ers with a shot at more in a few years.

*edit* Alumnus Gregor Hanson also at Rangers camp.
              I think some of these are wrong, because I clicked around a bit and the only ones that I could find were Florek and Coreau.

By the way, any word on if Hanson will sign with the rangers?
              NMU

Comment

I really think NMU will be fine, we will find a good league and still be able to compete in NCAA tournaments. I also wonder how tense the league will be over the next few years.
                NMU

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN21 View Post
                  I really think NMU will be fine, we will find a good league and still be able to compete in NCAA tournaments. I also wonder how tense the league will be over the next few years.
                  The more I think about this deal, the more my line of thought shifts towards this... Looking at the landscape, NMU is one of the strongest of the "Have Nots" that are out there... We will be wanted by both the CCHA and WCHA and that gives us leverage... Also, the road to the NCAAs just got easier since we no longer have to go through a U of M or State to get there... Again, over the past 10-15 years, we have preformed near the top of the Leftovers...

For now, NMU just needs to be proactive in this whole deal... Let the dust settle, then start doing what benefits NMU the most... Right now, I think that pairing up with the old WCHA schools + LSSU would be the best case scenario... Travel budget can remain roughly the same, and I feel that our gate revenue will only drop slightly if at all... The thing is that NMU would have to go out and get the community behind this team more than ever... If you can get MQT to come out, then I think we will be set... Much like people have said about Air Force, being a big fish in a small pond has its benefits...
                  It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Focusing more on this year rather than something that won't happen for 2 years, how experienced is the incoming class? I feel good about the returning players, not a doubt in my mind all 3 senior positional players will make AHL or Possibly NHL.
                    NMU

Comment

Already chatted with NMU President Les Wong. I will be speaking with AD Steve Reed and am in the process of hunting down Walt Kyle.

Follow along on Twitter at twitter.com/mattwellens for the NMU perspective. I'll have a story up on www.miningjournal.net later today too. Who knows if my column will get written or not breaking down a possible new home for NMU.

I could try and get comment from John Kyle as well, but he's probably fishing, killing something or teaching Chuck Norris how to not fight like a girl. No promises there.

Yay for working on a Saturday!
                      www.mattwellens.com

www.miningjournal.net

"brilliant, mother ********** brilliant
                      wellens... you are a god among college sports analysts" - The Stew

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                        The more I think about this deal, the more my line of thought shifts towards this... Looking at the landscape, NMU is one of the strongest of the "Have Nots" that are out there... We will be wanted by both the CCHA and WCHA and that gives us leverage... Also, the road to the NCAAs just got easier since we no longer have to go through a U of M or State to get there... Again, over the past 10-15 years, we have preformed near the top of the Leftovers...

For now, NMU just needs to be proactive in this whole deal... Let the dust settle, then start doing what benefits NMU the most... Right now, I think that pairing up with the old WCHA schools + LSSU would be the best case scenario... Travel budget can remain roughly the same, and I feel that our gate revenue will only drop slightly if at all... The thing is that NMU would have to go out and get the community behind this team more than ever... If you can get MQT to come out, then I think we will be set... Much like people have said about Air Force, being a big fish in a small pond has its benefits...
                        I could easily see the leftovers of the WCHA teaming up with the yooper schools, call it the Snowbelt conference perhaps.

Just that my big worry here of all things is Ferris. Ferris gives up the ghost, my reasons for buying lottery tickets takes another big hit. As without Ferris around, there's not really that great looking of a future spot for GVSU hockey. But, "checks last night numbers......." thats neither here or there at this point.
                        bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

So, with the waters clearing up a little bit...I figured I'd discuss NMU's choices from here on out.

First: Stay in the CCHA, albeit, re-tooled CCHA. Right now its NMU, LSSU, Ferris, Western, Bowling Green, Notre Dame. The Irish could be on the move before the end of the summer. Intentions have to be made by August for next season, so we should know if they move to the new league, B1G, or Hockey East. Notre Dame's move doesnt impact NMU too much, but does impact the future of the CCHA. If ND stays, it remains a 6 team league and its autobid status. Should they leave, the CCHA would have to make some moves. Look at some AHA teams to slide into the CCHA. Niagara, Robert Morris (PA) and Mercyhurst are the likely schools.

Second: The WCHA is depleted down to 5 teams after the move. They NEED to add teams. An obvious fit would be NMU, as travel costs would likely remain the same with trips to Denver, Colorado Springs, and Grand Forks off the schedule (though in the 12-13 season, NMU will be making the trek). MTU, St Cloud, BSU, Mankato and UAA (no different than the UAF trip). Basically, it comes down to road trips to Ferris, Western, and possibly PA, and NY.

Third: Do Nothing and have the WCHA and CCHA Merge. An unlikely scenario since it would take away an auto bid and give an at large to the teams that these schools dislike at the moment (the B1G and the New League).
                          Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                          1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                          1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                          2006-2007: 15-24-2
                          2007-2008: 20-20-4
                          2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
                            First: Stay in the CCHA, albeit, re-tooled CCHA. Right now its NMU, LSSU, Ferris, Western, Bowling Green, Notre Dame................. If ND stays, it remains a 6 team league and its autobid status..............
                            The CCHA is a 7-team league at the moment, not a 6-er. You left out Fairbanks.
                            FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                              ha. Thanks.
                              Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                              1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                              1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                              2006-2007: 15-24-2
                              2007-2008: 20-20-4
                              2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                                Sixer, where?!?

Going to need a lot more than that to get through this offseason. Almost time for another beer run to Wisconsin.
                                www.mattwellens.com

www.miningjournal.net

"brilliant, mother ********** brilliant
                                wellens... you are a god among college sports analysts" - The Stew

Comment

Working...
                                X