Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union Hockey 2011 Off Season Thread-"Union, We've Paid Our Dues"

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
    Well I hate to think in terms of Nate in the past tense, but I can only guess, and am hoping if Nate is leaving that Rick Bennett gets the nod. IMO he has been quietly instrumental in Union's recent success. I know the boys on the team like and respect him highly. This is quickly turning into the season of our discontent.
    Poetic justice from one of your loyal's bloggers calling our discontent your victory? But in all seriousness, your program is at least climbing the mountain (I won't say anything about a peak, because we'll cross that bridge when we get there), and you'll be just fine next year. You have one of the most potent offenses in the country.

Comment

Mark McGuire commentary from TU on Nate's likely departure.
      http://www.timesunion.com/default/ar...es-1348013.php
      "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
        Mark McGuire commentary from TU on Nate's likely departure.
        http://www.timesunion.com/default/ar...es-1348013.php
        It's almost tortuous the way this is dragging out. One way or another I wish it was over already.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
          It's almost tortuous the way this is dragging out. One way or another I wish it was over already.
          Since we're pretty much at the Easter holiday, I'd be surprised if there's an announcement before Tuesday. More torture for the weekend.

As I've said before, this really shouldn't be a surprise. Nate has taken steps forward with this program each year and that's exactly what I'd want to see if I was looking for a coach. McGuire made a good point in that you don't know when these opportunities would come up - if at all. I wouldn't begrudge him at all if he took the Providence job.

I've resigned myself to the fact that Nate will be gone come October (so I can be pleasantly surprised if he isn't ), but if that's the case, I agree that Rick Bennett should be given serious consideration.
          Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

her we go

Parting Schotts
            Union hockey press conference on Leaman's status
            By Ken Schott
            Friday, April 22, 2011

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Union has called a press conference for 2:30 this afternoon. It will deal with the status of Union coach Nate Leaman, who is the leading candidate for the vacant head coaching job at Providence.

My gut feeling is that Leaman has accepted the offer from Providence.

More on this as it develops.

Comment

jusst saw this on the Providence Journal site....sighs

http://sportsblog.projo.com/2011/04/...college-h.html

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that. It's been a tough week for you guys. As long as you keep Bennett you'll be fine.
                Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Tough week for Union fans. I hope whoever coaches you guys next will pick up where Leaman left off. I'd like to see RPI-Union at the NCAA tourney next year.
                  RPI Pep Band
                  GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                  🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                  2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                  2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Well, color me surprised. I just didn't think we'd see/hear anything before next week.

Congrats to Nate! You can't blame him for jumping at an opportunity like this and I sincerely hope he succeeds in Hockey East.

While we're at it, thank you Nate Leaman! You brought the Union program from the doldrums, won a few playoff series, and got some good national recognition. You will be missed.

Now it's time to promote Mr. Bennett.
                    Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

PC AD Driscoll stated that Bennett is your new head coach...you got a great one, Congrats!

Hopefully Nate can be Great for PC!

Comment

tough loss.......http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...eamans-status/
                        Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Thank you Nate Leaman for everything you have done for Union hockey. You have left U Hockey in a much better place than when you came here. Congratulations and best of luck at PC. Best wishes also to Ben Barr and thanks for all you have done as well.

Congratulations and best of wishes also to Rick Bennett. We'll be behind you 100%.
                          Last edited by Wholin1; 04-22-2011, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Very upsetting. I'll post more later. I didn't need to deal with this right now as I get ready for the first home Knicks playoff game in 7 years...
                            LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Union signs Bennett to a 4-year-contract and assistant coach Ben Barr is going to Providence with Leaman... both items via Ken Schott's blog.
                              Last edited by rdf8585; 04-22-2011, 02:47 PM.

Comment

I don't know a lot about Bennett other than the few times I heard him on the 1240 AM postgame. Hopefully he makes the most of this opportunity. Union's lost a couple key seniors and Kinkaid, but they do have a good amount of other talent returning. The cupboard is somewhat depleted, but far from empty.
                                Last edited by rdf8585; 04-22-2011, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X