Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union Hockey 2011 Off Season Thread-"Union, We've Paid Our Dues"

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
    ...rumor has it that our former coach is burning all bridges....
    Wow - that took all of about 2 1/2 months for the faithful to turn Nate into public enemy #1... Gotta be some kind of a record!
    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
      Wow - that took all of about 2 1/2 months for the faithful to turn Nate into public enemy #1... Gotta be some kind of a record!
      Not sure I really want to resurrect the whole Nate thing, but what the heck, it's the dog days of summer. My statement had to do with other recruiting issues of which I have become aware and not involving LaPlante. I think Nate has put himself into a highly pressurized situation where he is being paid big money and results will be expected to improve maybe not this season, but very soon and very significantly. By contrast he left a low pressure environment where expectations and pressure to win are far lower.

Comment

ADK, I may be overlooking something but I'm not sure I see where there would have been 5 goalies. Doesn't Stevens bring the number to 3?
        If LaPlante had come as expected there would have been 4 goalies in '12. So if Bennett wanted to "stockpile" LaPlante for a year he would have had to bring in another goalie for this season, which would make 5 goalies in '12.. which is insane.
        UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Not sure I really want to resurrect the whole Nate thing, but what the heck, it's the dog days of summer. My statement had to do with other recruiting issues of which I have become aware and not involving LaPlante. I think Nate has put himself into a highly pressurized situation where he is being paid big money and results will be expected to improve maybe not this season, but very soon and very significantly. By contrast he left a low pressure environment where expectations and pressure to win are far lower.
          Care to elaborate on these "issues"?

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonySaxe View Post
            Care to elaborate on these "issues"?
            I can't be too specific because of my sources (I know that sounds very cryptic but I want to share as much with everyone as I am at liberty to do) but I can say that I've been told that Nate has not had a "handsoff" policy with regard to announced recruits. I realize this is double hearsay, but I would not post it if I wasn't confident of its accuracy.

Comment

I can't be too specific because of my sources (I know that sounds very cryptic but I want to share as much with everyone as I am at liberty to do) but I can say that I've been told that Nate has not had a "handsoff" policy with regard to announced recruits. I realize this is double hearsay, but I would not post it if I wasn't confident of its accuracy.
              Perhaps this explains why one or two Union recruits accelerated and are coming this Fall?
              Last edited by ADK11; 07-20-2011, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                Perhaps this explains why a one or two Union recruits accelerated and are coming this Fall?
                Good observation, hadn't thought of that. I will try to look into that possibility and report back. In the meantime, I think we are in good shape going forward with a solid if not spectacular recruiting class. There always seems to be a positive surprise or two in each group, so I'm hoping for that to prove out. I think Rick feels pretty confident with this new group as he is likely familiar with all from the recruiting process. Pretty obvious that our young goaltending corps will be the big question mark.

Comment

I have no doubt that some/all of this may be true, but it ignores the the other half of the equation, that being the player. Kids - 16, 17 & 18 yr. old KIDS - make the biggest commitment of their lives based on their relationship and assurances from the COACH. As much as it sucks for U fans, its hardly a surprise that some kids have followed Nate to PC.
                  ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                    I have no doubt that some/all of this may be true, but it ignores the the other half of the equation, that being the player. Kids - 16, 17 & 18 yr. old KIDS - make the biggest commitment of their lives based on their relationship and assurances from the COACH. As much as it sucks for U fans, its hardly a surprise that some kids have followed Nate to PC.
                    I don't think anyone is ignoring that this can and has happened. From all accounts, Drew Brown initiated conversations with Leaman about coming to Providence and LaPlante was officially told he wouldn't play hockey at Union so he was essentially free to be recruited by anyone else. That's kids making their own choices.

But I think its different if any coach actively contacts players that he knows have committed to another program.. particularly if said coach recruited those players at that program in the first place. Yes, with Union its all verbal commitments that don't really hold any water, but its still not very ethical and at the very least shows a total lack of respect towards Union. Obviously, there isn't any hard proof that Leaman has done anything like this, but I do find it slightly odd that Union could have 10 d-men on the roster next season including one that just turned 18 and probably could have used a season in juniors.

Comment

There are two ways of looking at this. From Union's perspective if a recruit contacts a former coach, Union would want that coach to say "I can't talk to you about this", period. I understand that in the real world this may not be a realistic expectation. In any event, there is little that can be done about it at this point. Obviously, if the player was enamored primarily with the coach in making his decision in the recruiting process, that player will likely jump ship as is his prerogative. If the player is most concerned about the right academic fit and the college experience, then he likely stays. Most kids who I have spoken with told me that it was a combination of both factors so maybe I'm all wet. Just my two cents, but I think I would rather have a player who really wants to go to Union and also is enamored with the hockey program, than one who is simply looking to advance his hockey career. Of course I also think about a kid like Andrew Buote who related the story of how he was almost literally a last minute recruit at Union, who came sight unseen to Schenectady, but grew to love both the college and the hockey program.

BTW, it appears that replay cameras have been installed over both goals and on the game clock. They will be used in all games except against RPI.

Comment

Obviously, there isn't any hard proof that Leaman has done anything like this, but I do find it slightly odd that Union could have 10 d-men on the roster next season including one that just turned 18 and probably could have used a season in juniors.
                        Can we borrow a couple?

Comment

The new roster is up on the school website.. 29 strong and includes Ingoldsby, which I hope is a good sign that he may play again. http://www.unionathletics.com/roster.aspx?roster=195

And some nice quotes from Welsh on his experience at the Blackhawks camp.. http://unionhockey.tumblr.com/post/7...-thoughts-from .. really toots Union's horn as a place to get good coaching, etc. Also see that Welsh is an asst. captain, which is hopefully a good sign that he'll be back next season. I believe Zajac & White are the other captains, but don't see this confirmed anywhere else..

Comment

The new roster is up on the school website.. 29 strong and includes Ingoldsby, which I hope is a good sign that he may play again. http://www.unionathletics.com/roster.aspx?roster=195
                            I'm afraid that the outlook for Mike Ingoldsby's return to the ice is still a big question mark.

Comment

The silly prediction season has begun. http://insidecollegehockey.com/inch/...=Google+Reader

Comment

The silly prediction season has begun. http://insidecollegehockey.com/inch/...=Google+Reader
                                They forgot a 2 on your ranking.

Comment

Working...
                                X