Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Syracuse Women Ice Hockey

Originally posted by granddaddyscout View Post
    I think it depends on the school and the conference. I know Big Ten schools have a policy that they can only non-renew for academic or moral turpitude type issue. Many others don't have those standards and it is not unusual for a new coach to not renew scholarships for athletes they want to chase away. Not really fair and a good question for parents to ask during the recruiting process.
    I think most schools and coaches themselves (if you ask them), have an unofficial rule to renew them. It doesn't look good for a school or coach if they "chase a kid away, " just becuaes they haev better players now. This isn't the NHL. And, while I have no personal knowledge of the SU situation, I suspect this is why girls are leaving. And, if I was the parent on a recruit (thank God that's over), I would not want my kid going to a school if this was a possibility. I believe just about every recruit's parents read this board. And, if my kid had 3 choices and the coach had a reputation of doing that, it would play heavily into how I advised my daughter. Every coach knows legally they don't "have" to renew the scholarships but the good and honorable ones will tell you they "have" to do it for their credibility and the credibility of their program.

Comment

Has this type of SU thing happened elsewhere?

Comment

I am extremely confident the BT will not allow coaches to rescind an athlete's "grant in aid" or scholarship except for academic or conduct violations. This has been a debate topic in the football world because the SEC does it routinely and the BT doesn't allow it. The argument being that the SEC schools basically bring in players for a 1-2 year tryout and then kick them to the curb if they do turn out to be "players". I recall stories in other sports as well, in the girls hockey world Vermont canceled a number of scholarships when Bothwell took over in 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by granddaddyscout View Post
          I am extremely confident the BT will not allow coaches to rescind an athlete's "grant in aid" or scholarship except for academic or conduct violations. This has been a debate topic in the football world because the SEC does it routinely and the BT doesn't allow it. The argument being that the SEC schools basically bring in players for a 1-2 year tryout and then kick them to the curb if they do turn out to be "players". I recall stories in other sports as well, in the girls hockey world Vermont canceled a number of scholarships when Bothwell took over in 2006.
          Being confident is one thing but I'd really like to see something in writing from the NCAA or the Big Ten. I don't know of any written rule out there that states that a college scholarship is good for 4 years. In my opinion any such written policy would violate the NCAA rule that scholarships are to be only for one year but are renewable. I have read that the SEC schools (especially in football) frequently pull scholarships and that players at Big Ten schools typically have a much better chance of keeping their scholarship for the entire 4 years but I doubt that there is any Big Ten conference written guarantee. Right now there is considerable controversy regarding football factories that are signing more players to NLIs than scholarships available but I have not found anything that says the Big Ten or any other conference guarantees a scholarship of more than one year. Obviously if a coach gets a reputation for not renewing scholarships it hurts his or her image among recruits but that doesn't equate to an enforceable guarantee.

Here's a couple of stories that I found interesting but again there is no mention of a written policy and as a matter of fact it appears to say that the Big Ten can pull scholarships if they want too.
          http://detnews.com/article/20110406/...82%AC%E2%84%A2
          http://www.mlive.com/sports/saginaw/..._surprisi.html
          Last edited by SlewFoot; 04-17-2011, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pakidnyc View Post
            I think most schools and coaches themselves (if you ask them), have an unofficial rule to renew them. It doesn't look good for a school or coach if they "chase a kid away, " just becuaes they haev better players now. This isn't the NHL. And, while I have no personal knowledge of the SU situation, I suspect this is why girls are leaving. And, if I was the parent on a recruit (thank God that's over), I would not want my kid going to a school if this was a possibility. I believe just about every recruit's parents read this board. And, if my kid had 3 choices and the coach had a reputation of doing that, it would play heavily into how I advised my daughter. Every coach knows legally they don't "have" to renew the scholarships but the good and honorable ones will tell you they "have" to do it for their credibility and the credibility of their program.
            Wish we would have known the coach better before we signed on. SU's response to us was the coach can do what he wants. Regardless of your kids grades and performance, if the coach doesn't want your kid to play for him next year, there's the door. It was a complete waste of time and a hell of a lot of money for 1 year and none of the credits were transferable from a private institution. Live and learn....at least my daughter made some truly good friends at SU, outside of hockey, and goes back from time to time to visit...she loves NY.

Comment

This post seems a little far-fetched. None of the credits transfer????
              Last edited by UCONN FAN; 04-19-2011, 08:00 AM.
              Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

Originally posted by MAOFDJJD View Post
                Wish we would have known the coach better before we signed on. SU's response to us was the coach can do what he wants. Regardless of your kids grades and performance, if the coach doesn't want your kid to play for him next year, there's the door. It was a complete waste of time and a hell of a lot of money for 1 year and none of the credits were transferable from a private institution. Live and learn....at least my daughter made some truly good friends at SU, outside of hockey, and goes back from time to time to visit...she loves NY.
                Your post does not pass the smell test on many levels.....

You are complaining about losing a scholarship and then go on to say:
                "It was a complete waste of time and a hell of a lot of money for 1 year"...

Then you say:
                "none of the credits were transferable from a private institution"
                I find that hard to believe, unless you take things like "creative sowing" or other "filler" courses.

My response to your post is...Did you or your D do your homework before committing?.

You are right on when you say "Live and Learn". That is the best advice in this case. "Live, Learn, Move on and don't make the same mistake again".

Comment

[QUOTE=SlewFoot;5122757]Being confident is one thing but I'd really like to see something in writing from the NCAA or the Big Ten. I don't know of any written rule out there that states that a college scholarship is good for 4 years. In my opinion any such written policy would violate the NCAA rule that scholarships are to be only for one year but are renewable.

Well I am confident because fo discussion I have personnally had with with coaches in different sports at more than one Big Ten school. I think what you state is correct, let me reiterate my point. They are 1 year deals, but the Big Ten schools have all agreed that they will always be re-newed unless a player is failing academically or they are arrested essentially. THe issue you compare to regarding "over signing" compare to available spots for freshman is only part of the issue. The SEC schools also routinly non-renew players after their freshamn, sophomore, and junior years to accomadate more players. I don't know where it is published, but the Big Ten schools have all agreed to hold themselves to a higher standard. Perhaps you can locate something in writing to the contrary. There seems to be lot's of information on schools doing this, if there aren't any articles on it happening with BT schools perhaps that will give you greater comfort.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                    Your post does not pass the smell test on many levels.....

You are complaining about losing a scholarship and then go on to say:
                    "It was a complete waste of time and a hell of a lot of money for 1 year"...

Then you say:
                    "none of the credits were transferable from a private institution"
                    I find that hard to believe, unless you take things like "creative sowing" or other "filler" courses.

My response to your post is...Did you or your D do your homework before committing?.

You are right on when you say "Live and Learn". That is the best advice in this case. "Live, Learn, Move on and don't make the same mistake again".
                    Obviously, not enough homework...and it is hard to believe, but do YOUR homework...Credits from private institutions are very often NON-TRANSFERABLE...including classes in writing, math, and other subjects other than "creative sewing" and other "filler" courses. If they were transferable, my D wouldn't be re-taking these courses in our state-run college.

Comment

Originally posted by MAOFDJJD View Post
                      Obviously, not enough homework...and it is hard to believe, but do YOUR homework...Credits from private institutions are very often NON-TRANSFERABLE...including classes in writing, math, and other subjects other than "creative sewing" and other "filler" courses. If they were transferable, my D wouldn't be re-taking these courses in our state-run college.
                      I call shenanigans on this. Current college student, have taken courses at a number of institutions, and have found no difficulty in transferring the credit as long as I had a C in the course, whether the school in question was public or private, US or otherwise, etc. So, my question here is not whether you and your D did your homework before committing (I'll leave that to the other posters...), but rather: did your D do her homework while at the school? Because Syracuse credits not transferring seems to me like she got a lot of Ds. Now, I'm not saying it's impossible that the new school would refuse legitimate non-filler courses with good grades... but, speaking from experience, I find it highly unlikely.
                      Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                      SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                      ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                      NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                      NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                      NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                      NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                        I call shenanigans on this. Current college student, have taken courses at a number of institutions, and have found no difficulty in transferring the credit as long as I had a C in the course, whether the school in question was public or private, US or otherwise, etc. So, my question here is not whether you and your D did your homework before committing (I'll leave that to the other posters...), but rather: did your D do her homework while at the school? Because Syracuse credits not transferring seems to me like she got a lot of Ds. Now, I'm not saying it's impossible that the new school would refuse legitimate non-filler courses with good grades... but, speaking from experience, I find it highly unlikely.
                        +1

Comment

Originally posted by maofdjjd View Post
                          obviously, not enough homework...and it is hard to believe, but do your homework...credits from private institutions are very often non-transferable...including classes in writing, math, and other subjects other than "creative sewing" and other "filler" courses. If they were transferable, my d wouldn't be re-taking these courses in our state-run college.
                          BULLSH*t
                          Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

Originally posted by UCONN FAN View Post
                            BULLSH*t
                            It's not bull****...believe what you like. The classes she took that satisfied SU's English requirement and also her math class she took did not transfer, and she left SU with a 3.2 gpa...no D's. Don't know what else to say other than to suggest that transferring is not always as simple as it seems. And, quite frankly, NO....we didn't do our homework before committing. We had 10 days from the time db Flannagan made us an offer and the first day of school, so we packed up her **** and took a chance at what seemed like the opportunity of a lifetime, not realizing our decision was based on less-than-truthful information.

Comment

Well I am sorry you had that experience .I think most people are like you, not knowledgable about the whole experience and that`s what is great when people post these things. Others can refute but then ultimately parents can have more questions to ask and hopefully make a good choice.

Comment

Originally posted by LG4 View Post
                                Well I am sorry you had that experience .I think most people are like you, not knowledgable about the whole experience and that`s what is great when people post these things. Others can refute but then ultimately parents can have more questions to ask and hopefully make a good choice.
                                Thank-you for your thoughtful response.

Comment

Working...
                                X