Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hockey East - The Off Season

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
    With all the talk of schools in big 10 for hockey getting hockey programming has HE ever considered making its own deal with a new college conference TV network. The potential BE network would seem like the perfect partnership for HE to have. HE already has 2 BE members and this would give the BE network alot more programming and viewership in New England. The only thing that would complicate a potential partnership would be BC but if its a good deal time and money heal all wounds.
    It would also potentially force the conference to take UConn, without a facilities or scholarship upgrade. It could also blow the conference's geography when Syracuse adds men's hockey, and almost certainly would pave the way for Syracuse women's hockey to join the conference.

It remains to be seen if some of these would be "Pros" or "Cons".
    Last edited by Rhett; 03-30-2011, 03:05 PM.
    BOSTON UNIVERSITY TERRIERS
    CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY SPARTANS

UNH - 1985 NCAA Women's Lacrosse Champions!

2003-2004 D-III Tournament of Posters Champion
    2010 NFL Survival Pool Champion
    2014 NFL Survival Pool Co-Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Rhett View Post
      It would also potentially force the conference to take UConn, without a facilities or scholarship upgrade. It could also blow the conference's geography when Syracuse adds men's hockey, and almost certainly would pave the way for Syracuse women's hockey to join the conference.

It remains to be seen if some of these would be "Pros" or "Cons".
      I'm sure before HE made a deal they would work out some deal for UCONN. Although with additional revenue that Hockey could bring into UCONN from the deal I'm sure they could fund 18 scholarships.

Also I don't think you'd hear anyone really complain about bringing a school with the reputation and size of Syracuse into the conference if they added a mens team(aside from maybe BC). The only school that would loose out would be URI since it would mean they would be less likely to join HE if they ever started a program.

Comment

I'm sure before HE made a deal they would work out some deal for UCONN. Although with additional revenue that Hockey could bring into UCONN from the deal I'm sure they could fund 18 scholarships.

Also I don't think you'd hear anyone really complain about bringing a school with the reputation and size of Syracuse into the conference if they added a mens team(aside from maybe BC). The only school that would loose out would be URI since it would mean they would be less likely to join HE if they ever started a program.
        Why would BC complain?
        The only positive of expansion would be going from 27 to 22 HE games.

Edit: GDF would wake up from his coma if UConn joined. BC's good with Syracuse though
        Last edited by claver2010; 03-30-2011, 03:44 PM.

Comment

With all the talk of schools in big 10 for hockey getting hockey programming has HE ever considered making its own deal with a new college conference TV network. The potential BE network would seem like the perfect partnership for HE to have. HE already has 2 BE members and this would give the BE network alot more programming and viewership in New England. The only thing that would complicate a potential partnership would be BC but if its a good deal time and money heal all wounds.
          How many hockey games does the Big Ten Network show? Doesn't it only involve games between Big Ten teams? For example, I don't think they'd show Michigan-Notre Dame. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Providence is now the only Big East member associated with Hockey East. I don't see a partnership like that happening anytime soon.

Also I don't think you'd hear anyone really complain about bringing a school with the reputation and size of Syracuse into the conference if they added a mens team(aside from maybe BC).
          Have to echo what claver asked, why would BC complain about this?

Comment

Originally posted by MCHOCKEY View Post
            Thanks for the info. The word amateur threw me off. Almost made it sound like no pay so he could keep his amateur status and continue playing college. Thanks.
            I believe an ATO is a way for teams to sign a player immediately, because the deadline to sign players for this year has passed. This way they get them into the lineup immediately. could be wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              How many hockey games does the Big Ten Network show? Doesn't it only involve games between Big Ten teams? For example, I don't think they'd show Michigan-Notre Dame. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Providence is now the only Big East member associated with Hockey East. I don't see a partnership like that happening anytime soon.
              I think the concept (flawed as it may be) was to get HE games on the BE network regardless of the schools actual affliation with the BE.
              "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                Why would BC complain?
                The only positive of expansion would be going from 27 to 22 HE games.

Edit: GDF would wake up from his coma if UConn joined. BC's good with Syracuse though
                Wasn't sure if there where still some hard feelings between BC and the BE and its members from the split. However like I said time and money have a way of healing these things. Yes the idea was to increase HE coverage by having it go on that network and give the BE network more programing and HE a potential new source of revenue. The potential for a partnership makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                  I think the concept (flawed as it may be) was to get HE games on the BE network regardless of the schools actual affliation with the BE.
                  Wasn't sure if there where still some hard feelings between BC and the BE and its members from the split. However like I said time and money have a way of healing these things. Yes the idea was to increase HE coverage by having it go on that network and give the BE network more programing and HE a potential new source of revenue. The potential for a partnership makes sense.
                  Specifically related to Syracuse, there are no hard feelings. BC played them in football this past year.

I just wouldn't see a Big East Network being interested in partnering with a hockey league that only has one league member in it...

Comment

Hey JCarter nice job on this thread.

Can't seem to get used to so many non-VT fans giving such warm and fuzzy comments.

I give it a few weeks.
                    New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Good thread.

Here are HE records against WCHA and CCHA teams (not counting post-season) and Strength of Schedule (SOS) for 2010-11:

BC: 3-0-0; 23rd
                      UNH: 1-1-1; 19th
                      Mack: 0-0-0; 39th
                      NU: 0-0-0; 33rd
                      BU: 2-0-1; 25th
                      Maine: 2-2-1; 21st
                      UVM: 0-2-1; 22nd
                      UMass: 0-4-0; 31st
                      UML: 0-2-0; 42nd
                      PC: 0-2-0; 44nd
                      Totals: 8-13-4; 30th

Despite this dismal record, as recently as February 27th, HE had five teams knocking on the door of the top 15 in the PWR, with BU and Maine tied for 15th with 16 PWR points ahead of CC with 17.
                      Last edited by Snively65; 03-30-2011, 11:28 PM.

Comment

*****http://planetsmilies.net/happy-smiley-8804.gif******
                        Originally posted by Hokydad
                        Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post

Edit: GDF would wake up from his coma if UConn joined.
                          lol, yeah, probably and we don't want that to happen................GDF waking up from his coma i mean, not UConn joining.........., wait, that too i guess

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                            Good thread.

Here are HE records against WCHA and CCHA teams (not counting post-season) and Strength of Schedule (SOS) for 2010-11:

BC: 3-0-0; 23rd
                            UNH: 1-1-1; 19th
                            Mack: 0-0-0; 39th
                            NU: 0-0-0; 33rd
                            BU: 2-0-1; 25th
                            Maine: 2-2-1; 21st
                            UVM: 0-2-1; 22nd
                            UMass: 0-4-0; 31st
                            UML: 0-2-0; 42nd
                            PC: 0-2-0; 44nd
                            Totals: 8-13-4; 30th

Despite this dismal record, as recently as February 27th, HE had five teams knocking on the door of the top 15 in the PWR, with BU and Maine tied for 15th with 16 PWR points ahead of CC with 17.

Idk how BC was 3-0. I thought they lost to Notre Dame way back in October. Notre Dame seems to have the Hockey East's number this year. They also beat Merrimack and UNH on the way to the Frozen Four.

Comment

Yup.
                              2-1-0 BC.
                              1-1-1 BU
                              2-2-1 ME
                              0-4-0 UMA
                              0-2-0 UML
                              0-0-0 MC
                              0-0-0 NU
                              1-1-1 UNH
                              0-2-0 PC
                              0-2-1 UVM
                              Totals 6-15-4

Where did Snively get those stats?
                              Originally posted by Bakunin
                              Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

Originally posted by Chickens@NU View Post
                                Yup.

1-1-1 BU

Where did Snively get those stats?
                                Actually Snively got the BU record against the WCHA and CCHA correct.

BU went 1-0-1 against Notre Dame and 1-0-0 against Wisc.

Comment

Working...
                                X