Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hockey East - The Off Season

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    Anywho, I think you need to keep an eye on NU. They had stuff together by the end... I think they're headed in the right direction.
    I question the offense. We lose our entire top line that consisted of 46 out of 108 goals and 64 out of 180 assists. HUGE loss in offensive production there.
    Originally posted by Bakunin
    Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
      UNH always seems like they're set for a "down year" then they pop up, get home ice, and lose in the first round of the NCAA's again. I'd bet on that happening again.
      Juste to being accurate, dey always losing in da second round of da NCAAs.

It more painfull dat way, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
        Nice summary and look-ahead, jcarter. If BU doesn't lose anyone else, which I don't expect them to, and BC loses Hayes, which I do expect them to, I'd have to think BU's the preseason favorite. I think BC will still have enough talent to finish 2nd and although they lose a lot, I like what Merrimack has coming back, too. Northeastern has some very good young players, but they also lose a lot of offense. UNH and Maine will be very interesting. They lose a lot and I don't like their young players as much as Merrimack's or Northeastern's. Never thought I'd type that last sentence.

My very preliminary gut feeling (read: little to no research, especially when it comes to incoming freshmen):

1) BU
        2) BC
        3) Merrimack
        4) Northeastern
        5) UNH
        6) Maine
        7) UMass
        8) UVM
        9) UML
        10) PC
        This prediction is very solid, as is almost if not al of your insight. The thing with UNH the past few years has been someone has stepped up and gone from a solid player in the conference to an animal, I think Moses could do that next year, he's really impressive and if he puts in the work in the offseason I think he could help carry the cats. I don't know what to think of NU, I see the talent that remains on offense but it didn't produce this year, Justin Daniels, Garret Verm, and Steve Quailer all need to step up and Cody Ferriero needs to keep playing like he did down the stretch. If that happens we are fine, otherwise we are like UVM this year, good on defense, but we can't do anything in the offensive zone. PC/UML/Umass are still rebuilding, I think the minutemen have a good recruiting class coming in, I'll look into that more when work gets less busy. bu id agree is the early favorite, LOTS OF TALENT, if they can get leadership (which I did not see /get a sense of) in the last 5 games we played them. Is that a small window to make a judgement on a team on a super subjective subject? Yes, but it was also the most important games they played in all year. What do I mean get a sense of? Didn't see much talking on the ice/defending teammates and saw a lot of goonish play (both sides were chippy) but I didn't see anyone go in there and say cut it out like I did NU's guys. Rip that analysis if you want, but I think most bu fans would agree that leadership was a problem on this year's and last year's team. bc has the best coach in college hockey, they'll get home ice with the talent they have left over. Mack keeps a lot on offense, defense they are OK and if Cannata stays they should be right in the thick of the home ice race again, I don't see a repeat trip to the NCAA's though. I see maine being really bad next year, just a gut, but I think they lose A LOT with gustav who really made everyone around him better. Plus they lose a lot on the blueline, they might as well put a wet paper bag in goal. I'll post a prediction when all the studs leave, but just some thoughts for now.
        Arenas Attended
        Matthews Arena
        Agganis Arena
        Tsongas Arena
        Lawler Arena
        Schneider Arena
        Mullins Center
        TD Banknorth Garden
        Conte Forum
        Whittemore Center
        Gutterson Fieldhouse
        Alfond Arena
        Compton Family Ice Arena

Comment

Originally posted by NUMcNeely View Post
          bu id agree is the early favorite, LOTS OF TALENT, if they can get leadership (which I did not see /get a sense of) in the last 5 games we played them. Is that a small window to make a judgement on a team on a super subjective subject? Yes, but it was also the most important games they played in all year. What do I mean get a sense of? Didn't see much talking on the ice/defending teammates and saw a lot of goonish play (both sides were chippy) but I didn't see anyone go in there and say cut it out like I did NU's guys. Rip that analysis if you want, but I think most bu fans would agree that leadership was a problem on this year's and last year's team.
          I don't agree that leadership was a problem this year with the the team. It was more of just unable being able to get the job done on the ice. I think everyone will agree that Pereira, Connolly and Warsofsky were solid leaders off the ice this season especially people who were around the team. Warsofsky obviously had a down year on production on the ice but in that NU series(all five games) the shots were going both ways and I saw no attempt by NU captains to stop any of it. The skirmish after the final game was based on an altercation between your coach and Clendening. If anything your coach should be the one defusing conflict not starting it. I know this story is dead and over now but I don't think the leadership was the issue this year as it was last year. Last year was a mess off the ice and the motivation to play. This year's team always had each other's backs almost to a fault with some dumb penalties at times. Do you remember how Nicastro took out an NU guy at Matthews after he hit Ruikka from behind. This year's team problem was extreme inconsistentency whether it was being young or just not coming together as a team. This is something that will needed to be fixed for next season if they want to be the favorite everyone is picking them to be. These predictions are more of a result of the amount of talent more so than what they did this year. There are always going to be some dumb penalties taken throughout the season and Parker usually handles with them harshily(suspending Chiasson for one in the PC home and home.)
          GO BU

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
            I'm seeing BU as a clear favorite for next year. Agree or not?
            A "clear" favorite? Not even close.

Comment

This is a great post so far and I've enjoyed reading it.

Overall, I think Hockey East is actually going to be weaker nationally next year than this. Don't be surprised if we see another finish like 2009-2010 where points and tiebreakers separate first from ninth.

Home Ice Group BU, BC, UNH, and Merrimack

For BC, I agree, losing Muse is going to have a bigger impact than losing Atkinson. Milner is by default one of the better goalies in HE on paper compared with most HE teams put on ice. BC still has a load of offensive talent (S. Whitney, Mullane, Almedia) and will be all but assured of getting home ice next year. Also, is Kreider staying put??

BU is my early pick for next year to win HE. They have a load of good, young talent and in the long run, losing Warsofsky early may actually benefit BU and be a blessing in disguise. Coyle has the potential to have a monster year and expect Gill to shine.

UNH is all set in net and has good overal team speed. The defense should be solid as long as Kessel doesn't leave. The obvious question, how much offense can the team pick up as a whole from Sislo, Thompson, and DeSimone. They will get home ice, but I don't expect them scoring 5/6 a night in Durham.

We saw how Merrimack performed when DaCosta was sidelined. Sure, Merrimack will be a completely different team without him but teams are going to dread entering a reenergized Volpe. Cannata showed this weekend that he still needs some work on the second and fourth ND goals on Saturday.

Wild Cards: Northeastern and Maine

Northeastern has probably some of the best raw talent with so much potential and a very decent goalie in Rawlings. How many of your were impressed with their Beanpot and Hockey East run?? Sure, they lose a lot of leadership up front but this could be an NCAA tournament team in two years. The catch...how hard does the NCAA bee-itch slap NU for their "transgressions". If it's severe, that could be a problem.

Maine appears to be in trouble. Nyquist was more than half their team and if Abbott or Flynn take off, the Penobscot County "Harbormaster" may have a difficult time keeping Maine fans on dry land. They lost an awful lot on defense...Dimmen was one of the most underrated in HE. They can be anywhere between 4-10.

Bottom Draw: UVM, UMA, Lowell, and PC

UVM: Can Madore get the consistency he had two years ago? That's one big question. Is Stalberg the "go to guy" for offense? I really like Lenz and Brickley though. Didn't see a lot of UVM this year.

UMass: Losing Langeraap and Dainton is big. Anyone know if Syner is a flight risk? Teglia may surprise a lot a people and I think can be a very servicable goalie for the Minuteman. Adam Phillips is going to be a good one in this league for a long time. Again, another young team trying to find a niche but these guys absolutely destroyed my team this past season.

Lowell and PC: A lot depends on the coaching changes this year. Lowell is in a little better position than PC but not by much. Lowell should make the playoffs next year and could be anywhere between 6-10 but no higher. I honestly don't know what to expect from my team next year.

PC is at least two years away from making the playoffs. Don't know much about them but I don't see any name besides Berglund that scare me.
              Last edited by John_Fuller; 03-28-2011, 08:16 PM.
              - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

NU is interesting. They lose the entire top line and MacLeod who put together a 40 point season. McNeely is 30 points gone. Tuckerman however, returns next year from injury. Brodie Reid is coming off a 28 point freshman season. For god's sake he cannot regress. Pimm and Dongara both had decent freshman years but Dongara is just such a great skater. Beanpot goal was unreal. The defense will be very stout with Eibler, Bitteto and soon-to-be first round draft pick Jamie Oleksiak all becoming sophomores. Drew Muench returns also on D. Witt at the very least should get half the starts next year. Witt is a great goaltender, I just hope the coaching staff realizes how good he is.

Question is all on offense. Do the rookies progress? Do the incoming rookies produce?

It's interesting, it's almost like a changing of the guard in HE. So many longtime great producers gone.

Da Costa, Nyquist, Atkinson, Gibbons, MacLeod, Warsofsky all gone. That's like the entire two all-star teams.

At lease it'll make for more parity.
                Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Originally posted by NUMcNeely View Post
                  bu id agree is the early favorite, LOTS OF TALENT, if they can get leadership (which I did not see /get a sense of) in the last 5 games we played them. Is that a small window to make a judgement on a team on a super subjective subject? Yes, but it was also the most important games they played in all year. What do I mean get a sense of? Didn't see much talking on the ice/defending teammates and saw a lot of goonish play (both sides were chippy) but I didn't see anyone go in there and say cut it out like I did NU's guys. Rip that analysis if you want, but I think most bu fans would agree that leadership was a problem on this year's and last year's team.
                  Originally posted by mpereira View Post
                  I don't agree that leadership was a problem this year with the the team. It was more of just unable being able to get the job done on the ice. I think everyone will agree that Pereira, Connolly and Warsofsky were solid leaders off the ice this season especially people who were around the team. Warsofsky obviously had a down year on production on the ice but in that NU series(all five games) the shots were going both ways and I saw no attempt by NU captains to stop any of it. The skirmish after the final game was based on an altercation between your coach and Clendening. If anything your coach should be the one defusing conflict not starting it. I know this story is dead and over now but I don't think the leadership was the issue this year as it was last year. Last year was a mess off the ice and the motivation to play. This year's team always had each other's backs almost to a fault with some dumb penalties at times.
                  It all depends on how you define leadership. BU's captains this year did a much better job than the captains last year. The captains were definitely a plus for this young team and were not the problem in any way. That said, I wouldn't say the leadership was great, simply because the captains were the only leaders. It takes more than the three captains for a team to have good leadership, and BU didn't have much else (save for maybe Chiasson), mostly because Pereira was the only senior who saw playing time. When only 4 or 5 of your 18 skaters on any given night are upperclassmen, it's tough to have good veteran leadership.
                  Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
                    NU is interesting. They lose the entire top line and MacLeod who put together a 40 point season. McNeely is 30 points gone. Tuckerman however, returns next year from injury. Brodie Reid is coming off a 28 point freshman season. For god's sake he cannot regress. Pimm and Dongara both had decent freshman years but Dongara is just such a great skater. Beanpot goal was unreal. The defense will be very stout with Eibler, Bitteto and soon-to-be first round draft pick Jamie Oleksiak all becoming sophomores. Drew Muench returns also on D. Witt at the very least should get half the starts next year. Witt is a great goaltender, I just hope the coaching staff realizes how good he is.

Question is all on offense. Do the rookies progress? Do the incoming rookies produce?

It's interesting, it's almost like a changing of the guard in HE. So many longtime great producers gone.
                    You need to work on your Huskies my friend. Drew Meunch is never playing hockey again. Injuries. The offense is going to be led by Steve Quailer who had a slow start, picked it up, and then hit more posts and crossbars then should be legal. Except J Daniels to be better, along with Cody, and Vermessch. Tuckerman is an x-factor after missing the whole season and stinking the year before. A full season of Vroylk will be huge. Typically under Cronin one freshman a year has hit over 25 points, hopefully that continues. This team will be led by a sick defense, if everyone comes back, and Rawlings. Though he went out with a whimper, if he also comes back, as long as he continues to show improvement year over year, will be one of the top goalies in the league. He got into some bad habits at the end of the year that are easily correctable.

NU, right now without any early departures from their lineup is knocking on the door of home ice. Losing the three seniors up front will work itself out, to many guys on this team outside of those 3 and Reid had poor offensive years. If they turn it around and play to the level they can, this is a very dangerous team.

edit: the one big/interesting thing is who the captains are. Only one senior on next years team, McLauhglin.
                    Last edited by Huskies01; 03-28-2011, 10:19 PM.
                    DogHouse Graduate 2001

Comment

Originally posted by Huskies01 View Post
                      edit: the one big/interesting thing is who the captains are. Only one senior on next years team, McLauhglin.
                      I think you see Quailer get the C since he wore the A this year. I think McLaughlin will get one of the A's, but I don't know who gets the other.

I'm expecting another slow start for the Huskies in October, but I don't think it will be as slow as this past year. I'm thinking (hoping really) that the sophomores don't slump again this year (especially Reid), and that Quailer can finally find the back of the net. There is a lot of potential with this team, It'll just come down to how quickly they adjust to life without last year's top line. I think NU will have one of the best defensive corps in HE assuming nobody jumps ship.

I'm expecting a year very similar to 09-10 as far as parity is concerned in what will be a much softer HE. I think BC and BU will battle it out for the top spot while UNH, MC, NU and ME battle for 3-6. UMA and UVM will complete the playoff teams, and Lowell and PC are on the outside looking in again (by a wide margin).

Comment

I do not understand everyone placing BU at the top of hockey east just because they have a lot of talent and more talent coming in. I've heard it at the beginning of just about every BU season that this team has a lot of talent, but where has that ever gotten this team? Yes, there was the NC in 2009 and a couple HE title and NCAA appearances but that's it. Usually half way through the season, all that talk of this team has a lot of talent goes back to why does this team not play well with all this talent? BU has had a big problem this decade of getting a coherent and focused team from start to finish.

Realistically, BU will probably place 3rd or 4th in hockey east next year and will probably be another bubble team for the NCAA's. They could come out and surprise us but when this team already seems to lack cohesion now, imagine next year getting a bunch of new freshmen and starting that process all over again.

Comment

Originally posted by ActionJoe View Post
                          I do not understand everyone placing BU at the top of hockey east just because they have a lot of talent and more talent coming in. I've heard it at the beginning of just about every BU season that this team has a lot of talent, but where has that ever gotten this team? Yes, there was the NC in 2009 and a couple HE title and NCAA appearances but that's it. Usually half way through the season, all that talk of this team has a lot of talent goes back to why does this team not play well with all this talent? BU has had a big problem this decade of getting a coherent and focused team from start to finish.

Realistically, BU will probably place 3rd or 4th in hockey east next year and will probably be another bubble team for the NCAA's. They could come out and surprise us but when this team already seems to lack cohesion now, imagine next year getting a bunch of new freshmen and starting that process all over again.
                          This is exactly what I wanted to say as well. These last two seasons BU has definitely had the talent and players to make the NCAAs and just for whatever reason, they can't seem to put it all together. Lack of focus, leadership, coaching, so many excuses being tossed out there. If BU misses NCAAs again next year......, I don't know...., don't even want to think about it.

Comment

Anyone know where Vinny Saponari is going next year?

Comment

Originally posted by Huskies01 View Post
                              You need to work on your Huskies my friend. Drew Meunch is never playing hockey again. Injuries. The offense is going to be led by Steve Quailer who had a slow start, picked it up, and then hit more posts and crossbars then should be legal. Except J Daniels to be better, along with Cody, and Vermessch. Tuckerman is an x-factor after missing the whole season and stinking the year before. A full season of Vroylk will be huge. Typically under Cronin one freshman a year has hit over 25 points, hopefully that continues. This team will be led by a sick defense, if everyone comes back, and Rawlings. Though he went out with a whimper, if he also comes back, as long as he continues to show improvement year over year, will be one of the top goalies in the league. He got into some bad habits at the end of the year that are easily correctable.

NU, right now without any early departures from their lineup is knocking on the door of home ice. Losing the three seniors up front will work itself out, to many guys on this team outside of those 3 and Reid had poor offensive years. If they turn it around and play to the level they can, this is a very dangerous team.

Fine, given that he's missed a good portion of the previous two seasons, he's probably done as an effective player. Happy? I know our team, I've been to every home game, Beanpot and playoff game the last two years and some road games.

Anyway, now that my inferiority complex is over with -

you pretty much said what I said. I worry about Daniels though. Such an underachieving year and Qualier set him up with goodies most nights. Quailer, unless you watch him, people don't realize how good this guy is on the puck. He knows how to use his size on the rush to slide by defensemen. Rawlings I just think at this point is an inconsistent netminder. I mean, when he's on, he's on, when he's not he's not. Rare that he strings together two good games against elite teams. I say split time next year to keep pressure on him to perform. Can't hurt when Witt is the other netminder.

I mean it's cliche but it depends on those stepping up who need to. Will they? Who knows. I hope. Can't afford another lackluster year from players like Justin Daniels getting outdone offensively by his brother who had to play defense for half the year.
                              Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                              Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                                Anyone know where Vinny Saponari is going next year?
                                Boston College
                                BOSTON UNIVERSITY TERRIERS
                                CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY SPARTANS

UNH - 1985 NCAA Women's Lacrosse Champions!

2003-2004 D-III Tournament of Posters Champion
                                2010 NFL Survival Pool Champion
                                2014 NFL Survival Pool Co-Champion

Comment

Working...
                                X