Hockey East - The Off Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hockey East - The Off Season

The rotation from 09-10 was to ease Muse back in and then Milner's play forced York's hand to give him more time. This year he showed some flashes (shutting out Denver at Denver) but also that game you referenced where he let in 4 goals on 8 shots (2 of which were clearing attempts that ended up on net).

Watch for incoming freshman Brian Billett to steal time and I wouldn't be shocked if he's the #1. We'll see.

Comment

Well done, JC.
      Originally posted by mookie1995
      bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
      Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
      Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Nice summary and look-ahead, jcarter. If BU doesn't lose anyone else, which I don't expect them to, and BC loses Hayes, which I do expect them to, I'd have to think BU's the preseason favorite. I think BC will still have enough talent to finish 2nd and although they lose a lot, I like what Merrimack has coming back, too. Northeastern has some very good young players, but they also lose a lot of offense. UNH and Maine will be very interesting. They lose a lot and I don't like their young players as much as Merrimack's or Northeastern's. Never thought I'd type that last sentence.

My very preliminary gut feeling (read: little to no research, especially when it comes to incoming freshmen):

1) BU
        2) BC
        3) Merrimack
        4) Northeastern
        5) UNH
        6) Maine
        7) UMass
        8) UVM
        9) UML
        10) PC
        Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Question for the UNH posters... is Kessel going or staying? Seems as he would be a flight risk, but I haven't heard any rumors of the sort. That maybe because I am not a UNH fan, but regardless. Is there any thought in Durham that Kessel will be leaving?
          Originally posted by Hokydad
          Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
            Question for the UNH posters... is Kessel going or staying? Seems as he would be a flight risk, but I haven't heard any rumors of the sort. That maybe because I am not a UNH fan, but regardless. Is there any thought in Durham that Kessel will be leaving?
            there are certainly a lot of people who think it could happen, and a lot that think it could go either way.

personally if garrett stafford wasn't an nhl defenseman coming out of UNH, i don't see kessel being one either...so i don't think it's going to hurt him to stay.

Comment

A lot of the talk around Manchester was that Kessel will stay and don the C. I have no concrete info on that, but that seemed to be the common train of thought.
              Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by MCHOCKEY View Post
                You're killing me. Da Costa is not gone...YET LOL...I know he's going to be gone, but at least give me a few days to cope with this past weekend before telling me that LOL
                In the article linked before, it notes that Da Costa has signed with agents. Unless the NCAA rules are different for hockey than other sports, if you ink with an agent, your amateur status is officially done forever and you are no longer eligible. So if that still applies here, he's officially gone.
                time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                  Nice summary and look-ahead, jcarter. If BU doesn't lose anyone else, which I don't expect them to, and BC loses Hayes, which I do expect them to, I'd have to think BU's the preseason favorite. I think BC will still have enough talent to finish 2nd and although they lose a lot, I like what Merrimack has coming back, too. Northeastern has some very good young players, but they also lose a lot of offense. UNH and Maine will be very interesting. They lose a lot and I don't like their young players as much as Merrimack's or Northeastern's. Never thought I'd type that last sentence.

My very preliminary gut feeling (read: little to no research, especially when it comes to incoming freshmen):

1) BU
                  2) BC
                  3) Merrimack
                  4) Northeastern
                  5) UNH
                  6) Maine
                  7) UMass
                  8) UVM
                  9) UML
                  10) PC
                  Bottom four seem pretty easy to predict, and it looks as though once again there will be a dropoff between 6 and 7. I definitelt see more "Garden crashers" next year, the main suspects being MC and NU. Both could make it again. I also don't know anything about incoming freshmen except a quick glance at BU's class, but Maine looks like it'll take a hit without Nyqvist, UNH always seems like they're set for a "down year" then they pop up, get home ice, and lose in the first round of the NCAA's again. I'd bet on that happening again. Of course BC has a question mark in goal, but there's still a lot of talent returning. I guess if you put the sum of the talent, BU probably is near the top, but they need an attitude change, and of course early departures are still a possibility. There's got to be some change in direction with their mindset because for much of this year and last, it was very unfocused. But the poor season this past year wasn't for lack of talent, so that's there. They just need to put the pieces together, be it from a coaching and/or player perspective. I could easily see them anywhere from first through missing home ice. Cue the Fire Parker crowd.
                  time to write new history

Comment

Atkinson, Nyquist, Da Costa, Warsofsky, I think we just lost what would have been the HE first team for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumbles View Post
                      Atkinson, Nyquist, Da Costa, Warsofsky, I think we just lost what would have been the HE first team for next year.
                      Toss J Hayes in there and it is done..

Comment

1) BU
                        2) BC
                        3) Merrimack
                        4) Northeastern
                        5) UNH
                        6) Maine
                        7) UMass
                        8) UVM
                        9) UML
                        10) PC
                        Looks very reasonable. There's always one or two teams who develop/ bring in talent, that throws this out of whack. For example, last year Western Michigan had 8 wins and were predicted to finish next to last in the CCHA this season.

Comment

thinking on next year is like war plans

Considering how Hockey East will work out next year is a lot like war planning.

The planning is fun, makes you think of all the possibilities, and can consume a lot of time, but everything gets thrown away once the battle begins.

Comment

1) BU
                            2) BC
                            3) Merrimack
                            4) Northeastern
                            5) UNH
                            6) Maine
                            7) UMass
                            8) UVM
                            9) UML
                            10) PC
                            My Shot

1) BU
                            2) BC
                            3) UNH
                            4) NU
                            5) Maine
                            6) Merrimack
                            7) Mass
                            8) VT
                            9) Lowell
                            10) Providence

This is going to be a very weak conference next year. I picked BU, but I don't think they are that good.
                            Husky Hockey heading to the top of the bottom!

Comment

I play the percentages on this stuff.

Always pick UNH #1 in the RS. Cripes, they almost did it again this year with an absurdly stacked BC team as the national preseason #1. They lose a ton every year. Someone steps up every year.

Anywho, I think you need to keep an eye on NU. They had stuff together by the end... I think they're headed in the right direction.

Merrimack probably takes a step back but not that big of a step back. They'll be a factor...

Gotta think Maine is going to be way down there but we'll see.
                              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

My very early predictions:

1. BU - returns most of offense, good recruits, goaltending should be good
                                2. BC - loses a lot of firepower and depth, but still have talent. Billet/Milner will get job done in goal.
                                3. UNH - loses entire first line, but as Nick said, someone always steps up at UNH.
                                4. MC - loses a ton of offense, but defense should be steady and some guys will step up.
                                5. NU - lose three big seniors, but came along at end of year.
                                6. UVM - Madore is a senior. I see them getting better, but this is more based on how weak league is.
                                7. Maine - Flynn, Abbott and then... O'Neill is only d-man I'd want on my team. Goaltending is iffy.
                                8. UMass - Young team last year... how could they not finish above PC and Lowell?
                                9. Lowell - Will have more talent returning than PC.
                                10. PC - Lose a lot of seniors off a bad team, will be in transition, etc.
                                Last edited by irishfan85; 03-28-2011, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X