Hockey East - The Off Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hockey East - The Off Season

Here's my $0.02... who cares? JvR had good numbers for UNH. He has gone on to start a very successful career at the NHL level. Whatever he did or didn't do was apparently the correct choice for him as he has achieved what he set out to do, play at the NHL level.
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Re: JVR, I'll never forget his first game at BU when he turned Kevin Shattenkirk inside out and scored to seal a UNH victory. I was thinking, if this is what he's going to be like, UNH will be lucky to have him for one year. But one-on-one offensive moves were clearly the best part of his game, dishing the puck (say thank you Mike Sislo) was second. The rest of the game, the things he needed to do to be a more complete player, were clearly lacking. Did he improve in certain areas? I guess so, but marginally at best. He was never going to be, at least at UNH, a grinding defensive minded forward. He just wasn't that type of player. But he certainly had uber offensive skills, more so than any player at UNH since probably Krog. Ultimately, he did what he needed to do at UNH. Get his body more ready for the NHL, improve his skating and, oh yeah, work towards a degree. After two years it was time to move on, play with better players, get tested more and see if he could reward Philly's faith in him. Last year was a huge learning curve for him. He sat out a whole bunch of games, his ice time was limited in a lot of the games he played, but improved as the season went along. He scored Philly's first goal in their 7th game comeback last year. This year he became the first UNH player since Boguniecki to score 20 goals in an NHL season, was Philly's leading goal scorer in the playoffs and, in that second game vs. the Bruins, was being double shifted in the third period by Laviolette. That all being said, he's still not much of a defensive player but so what. Not everyone is going to be Cam Neely, nor should they be. I think most coaches would take what JVR brings, encourage his work ethic and development of his skills, and appreciate the benefits. Bottom line, he just turned 22 and has shown flashes of what he might become. I think we can all agree that he has tremendous upside.

The larger point about the playoffs is the ability to inform my hockey loving friends who never watch the college game how many of the impact players they see honed their skills in college. They know that Gionta went to BC, maybe Gerbe too. And they certainly know that Thomas played at UVM. But that Rich Peverley played at St. Lawrence or Roloson at Lowell, none of them have a clue. And these are guys who are puckheads. I mentioned in another thread that College Hockey, Inc. has to do a better job of informing Canadian teenagers that there is more than one route to the NHL. In the abstract they are doing this, but clearcut examples like Gionta, St. Louis, Thomas, Boyle, Pavelski, etc., etc. I think would have more of an impact.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
        Here's my $0.02... who cares? JvR had good numbers for UNH. He has gone on to start a very successful career at the NHL level. Whatever he did or didn't do was apparently the correct choice for him as he has achieved what he set out to do, play at the NHL level.
        I agree - it makes no sense that people think he should/could have done the things he can do now as a pro when he was at UNH. He was a "kid" both mentally and physically and was still maturing as we all do (most of us anyway!) as we get older. A very talented player at UNH, he's now developing into something more at the NHL level. He went to school to further his exposure with the hope of making the NHL - those who complain that he should have been better during his time at UNH need to remember that these kids are ultimately playing for their future dreams, not for those who watch them for the years they're at school. He's growing up and is a better player now and his future in the NHL looks bright.......UNH supporters should be happy for him and happy they got to see him play during his time there.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoover View Post
          those who complain that he should have been better during his time at UNH need to remember that these kids are ultimately playing for their future dreams, not for those who watch them for the years they're at school.
          right. I have trouble when people who aren't there comment negativly on a kid ( 18 years old) and how their hockey was lazy. has anyone here put in the dedication, the early mornings, long drives, strenuous workouts, to get there? I know I havn't. Thats why it would be silly for someone like me to throw stones.
          "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

Originally posted by unh_hockey View Post
            right. I have trouble when people who aren't there comment negativly on a kid ( 18 years old) and how their hockey was lazy. has anyone here put in the dedication, the early mornings, long drives, strenuous workouts, to get there? I know I havn't. Thats why it would be silly for someone like me to throw stones.
            Its not about throwing stones. Its about a guy who took shifts off and didn't give his best for UNH. I'm the one who started this subject about JVR as he played awesome for the Flyers. I didn't see that kind of play when he was at UNH. That is all.
            Let's go Lowell.

Comment

that was more of a general statement as opposed to directed at you.
              "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                He was never going to be, at least at UNH, a grinding defensive minded forward.
                Dat like saying Heidi Klum is never gonna be a 150 pounds catcheur on da gurls softballs team.

I kinda ok wif bof dem tings neveur appening, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Gainzo View Post
                  Its about a guy who took shifts off and didn't give his best for UNH.
                  What make you say e taked shift off? His game when e getted to UNHs et while e was der was to circle around et use e hands et speed to pick up loose pucks. Dat was he game. Et getted him to UNHs et da seconde pick in de draft why you tink e gonna change it, specially when it lead him to 74 pointe in HE at an age when moste guy not even in HE yet.

You probleme is you watching one of da top 5 talentes to play in HE in da laste 10 year mais you specting him to play like 22 year old freshman Joey Tryharde. You want da guy who flail around eveury shift and not da guy who make it look easy.

Originally posted by Gainzo View Post
                  JVR as he played awesome for the Flyers. I didn't see that kind of play when he was at UNH.
                  No sheet. Like I say before if you tink 2 NHL training camps, 150+ NHL game et 5 playoff series plus going from a teenageur to 22 year olde not gonna make a differnece den you a lttle out a touch, eh. Maybe we watching differente games mais I not noing many 18 year old who da finish product mon ami.

Comment

So who are the top recruits coming into HE?
                    Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                    Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
                      So who are the top recruits coming into HE?
                      NU: John Gaudreau and Vinny Sap, both forwards. Garrett Haar, defensemen, looks to be a great pickup as well.
                      Arenas Attended
                      Matthews Arena
                      Agganis Arena
                      Tsongas Arena
                      Lawler Arena
                      Schneider Arena
                      Mullins Center
                      TD Banknorth Garden
                      Conte Forum
                      Whittemore Center
                      Gutterson Fieldhouse
                      Alfond Arena
                      Compton Family Ice Arena

Comment

BC: F KJ Tiefenworth, G Brian Billett
                        BU: F Cason Hohmann, D Alexx Privitera
                        Maine: D Jacob Rutt
                        UMass: F Shane Walsh
                        UML: D Malcolm Lyles (transfer from BC)
                        UNH: F Grayson Downing, D Trevor van Riemsdyk
                        NU: F Vinny Saponari, F John Gaudreau, F Adam Reid, D Garrett Haar, D Ben Oskroba, F Justin Kovacs
                        Vermont: D Nick Luukko, D Michael Paliotta, F Zemgus Girgensons (if he comes this fall)
                        "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Obviously Saponari is a big addition for NU. For true freshmen, I'd say the 5 I'm most excited to see are Hohmann (BU), Girgensons (UVM), Tiefenwerth (BC), Privitera (BU) and Van Riemsdyk (UNH).

ETA: Gaudreau, too. Not sure how I forgot him.
                          Last edited by Federal League; 05-26-2011, 09:38 AM.
                          Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                            Obviously Saponari is a big addition for NU. For true freshmen, I'd say the 5 I'm most excited to see are Hohmann (BU), Girgensons (UVM), Tiefenwerth (BC), Privitera (BU) and Van Riemsdyk (UNH).

ETA: Gaudreau, too. Not sure how I forgot him.
                            HE

F Hohmann - BU
                            F Saponari - Northeastern
                            F Tiefenworth - BC
                            D Van Riemsdyk - UNH
                            D Rutt - Maine
                            G DeSmith - UNH

from collegehockeysource.com

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                              UNH: F Grayson Downing, D Trevor van Riemsdyk
                              I would add Matt Willows. At 5'9", 168 lbs, he is relatively small but he is fast and has been a high scorer wherever he's played. For example:
                              2010-11: EJHL Leading Scorer - 40 GP, 27G-43A-70 Pts.
                              2008-09: Set New York State High School Hockey Record for Most Points - 26 GP, 87G-51A-138 Pts.
                              The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                                UML: D Malcolm Lyles (transfer from BC)
                                I'd add fowards Scott Wilson (OJHL) and Terren Wallin (Gunnery) to the Lowell list, at least in terms of guys I'm looking forward to seeing play. Wilson unfortunately is being looked at by Kitchener, the team that came in at the last moment and stole UML recruit Julian Melchoiri, Atlanta's second round pick last draft).
                                Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                                2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                                2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                                2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                                2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Working...
                                X