Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Merrimack Offseason: ya, so that was fun.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Merrimack Offseason: ya, so that was fun.........

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
    Comcast is allowing a free sample of the NHL Center Ice and MLB packages this weekend in the southern NH. So the folks with Comcast should be able to see that game tonight.
    All of the baseball and hockey I want to see for the next week....life is good!!!

Didn't know there was a Canadian pronunciation of Merrimack....Hughson said "Merr-y-Mack"

Kessel just scored....wow, lots of Leafs' fans in YOW.

One more thing...how many of you get the urge and want to pick up a PS2 controller when watching Hughson and Simpson call a game.
    - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
      Hokydad, you'll enjoy this read, especially the quote from Jack Parker:

http://www.hockeydraftcentral.com/1984/84155.html

Geez, I wonder which Charlestown kids he had trouble with? Fidler and Fidler, O'Callahagn, Ensign O'Neill, Billy Cotter? All seem to have done pretty well at BU (and he has yet another Townie recruit in Collier from MC)
      exactly....

thanks

Comment

Does anyone remember who the first person on here to mention Dacosta was??

10-17-2009 12:10 PM #40 Hokydad
        View Profile View Forum Posts

Veteran

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PC played every bit as good in 2nd game as first game, good Job

You heard it here first, new kid at Merrimack from France is a stud. Will be one of the top F's in hockey East
        I think number 24

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
          Does anyone remember who the first person on here to mention Dacosta was??

10-17-2009 12:10 PM #40 Hokydad
          View Profile View Forum Posts

Veteran

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PC played every bit as good in 2nd game as first game, good Job

You heard it here first, new kid at Merrimack from France is a stud. Will be one of the top F's in hockey East
          I think number 24
          Wow. Really? "I told you so"? You're trying to take credit for Da Costa's play at Merrimack by claiming to be the first to mention him on USCHO's forum?

Oddly enough, the Internet doesn't start and end with USCHO's forum, and I don't think there's any trophy for first mention on the forum. In fact, before Da Costa started playing nearly all the MC discussion was not on USCHO at all, but on another forum, as well as on Mike McMahon's blog.

http://warriorrinkrat.com/2009/09/

"On offense, the Warriors should have to see increased production from guys like Chris Barton, whose development continued as a sophomore last season. Rob Ricci’s graduation leaves an opportunity for someone else to step into the go-to role, and expect that to be freshman Stephane Da Costa."

"If Da Costa has the type of season I and many others believe he can have, even as a rookie, and others like Barton, Francois Ouimet, Joe Cucci, etc. can carry the offense, the Warriors could finish as high as fifth or sixth. It really depends on goal-scoring – that was Merrimack’s biggest weakness last season."

Before that, back in June 2009:

"Stephane Da Costa
          Prediction: Undrafted
          Nothing against Da Costa’s skills, because I think he’ll be one of the top-scorers on the team next year as a rookie (if not lead the team), but his age (he’ll turn 20 years old in July) along with his size (5-foot-10, 180 pounds) will hurt his stock with NHL clubs.

But he did score a lot of points (31g-36a-67pts in 48 games) in a very good USHL. If he goes, he’ll go late in the draft, but I think he’s a player that teams will get a look at in college and try to sign as a free agent down the road."

http://warriorrinkrat.com/2009/06/24/nhl-draft-preview/

On the same day as your post, after the previous night's game against Holy Cross:

"I don’t know any other way to say it — Stephane Da Costa, despite being held off the scoresheet, was excellent. He provides electricity every time he touches the puck. Mark it down, he will be one of the best Warriors to ever put on a uniform, without exaggeration. He creates space for himself and everyone on his line."

http://warriorrinkrat.com/2009/10/17...ss-1-notebook/

So, yes, the weekend after the biggest news in the Merrimack College hockey community was whether or not Da Costa would be eligible for the games against North Dakota, you boldly predicted what I think most fans hoped. You correctly predicted his emergence as a top Hockey East forward, a month after Mike correctly predicted that he'd be the team's leading scorer-- which supposes gives your prediction some points for being more far-reaching, if also less specific. Mike's was actually pretty specific, and the predictions overlap-- it's entirely possible that Da Costa could have been counted "one of the best forwards in Hockey East) without being Merrimack's top scorer, so your prediction also had a much larger margin for error because of its very low specificity.

Oh, and I suppose you also correctly guessed his jersey number... 18 hours after he'd played his first game.

If this is inside information I'd say we're all better off with Google, to say nothing of the good work done by Mike McMahon on his blog and at the Eagle Tribune, as well as Machnik and Leahy on the radio. If you want to say that the reason why McMahon and Machnik knew about Da Costa was because of information provided by you... please, be my guest.

Comment

Bingo, we have a winner.

I knew most would take it for what it was,a joke.

Knew a couple would spend their time at 1 in the morning writing nothing, in response to nothing.

Bingo Jed, pick up your prize

I do agree though that others did write articles, after my post... They were simply waiting for the green light
            Last edited by Hokydad; 04-04-2011, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirk 18 View Post
              Any predictions on how the team might do next season? I see a lot of discussion about players, but is the core of the team still left and want about the question in net?
              I would also love to get the discussion headed more in the direction of next year. Looks like we have some promising freshmen coming in -- MD has definitely upped the level of recruit since the Serino era (error) -- but still so many questions around who's leaving and who's staying from the underclassmen to really know what the squad will ultimately end up looking like.

It's been great the last two years knowing that MC's offense was top-notch, especially after reflecting on the lean years (37 goals in an entire season, was that 2005...?) and I wonder where the offense will come next season with the departures of Barton and Da Costa.

I think we'll still be in the hunt for home ice and an NCAA bid if Cannata returns. He was hit or miss toward the end of the season, but I attribute that to either fatigue or perhaps an undisclosed nagging injury (there were a few games toward the end of the season where he went down and was shaken up... any one of those could have "tweaked" something... or I could just be making excuses... )

Comment

Bingo, we have a winner.

Knew a couple would spend their time at 1 in the morning writing nothing, in response to nothing.

I do agree though that others did write articles, after my post... They were simply waiting for the green light
                TOTAL BS!!! You got called out so just deal with it. It's your MO. You were trying to take credit and got called on the carpet for it. Man up and quit being such a fraud.

You were joking??? Right.

BTW You can all read another example of his self adulation on the BC thread, post #284, when he "jokes" again by quoting himself predicting BC's loss to CC.

Do hurry if you want to read it! Another part of his MO is to delete incriminating posts so he can cover his tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by JCR98 View Post
                  I think we'll still be in the hunt for home ice and an NCAA bid if Cannata returns. He was hit or miss toward the end of the season, but I attribute that to either fatigue or perhaps an undisclosed nagging injury (there were a few games toward the end of the season where he went down and was shaken up... any one of those could have "tweaked" something... or I could just be making excuses... )
                  I like the enthusiasm, but I'm not sure about home ice and an NCAA bid. I think over the next five years, we will find out what a special group of players this 10-11 class was. I think home ice is a nice goal, but I will be honest that I really don't expect it. We still have a strong core of players returning (so far) but I feel like this would have to be one very productive freshman class for us to have similar success on 11-12.

Perhaps I will eat my own words a year from now, but I just feel like this season was so special that it will be tough to duplicate...
                  "Get used to this drill, we'll be doing it a lot."
                  "Why?"
                  "Because the legs feed the wolf, gentlemen..."

Comment

anyone know what Penn State and MC have in common?

Comment

• Re: Merrimack Offseason: ya, so that was fun.........

Bingo, we have a winner.

The word you're looking for is "troll". Jokes are humorous.

Here's a newsflash: not everybody lives in the same timezone as you. If it was nothing, why bother posting it in the first place?

Nearly everything I cited was written before your post. The idea that anybody is waiting for your green light to an express an opinion on anything is insulting.

anyone know what Penn State and MC have in common?
                      They're both putting you back on the ignore list? Oh, wait... that's me.
                      Last edited by dmjossel; 04-04-2011, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorDJ View Post
                        I like the enthusiasm, but I'm not sure about home ice and an NCAA bid. I think over the next five years, we will find out what a special group of players this 10-11 class was. I think home ice is a nice goal, but I will be honest that I really don't expect it. We still have a strong core of players returning (so far) but I feel like this would have to be one very productive freshman class for us to have similar success on 11-12.

Perhaps I will eat my own words a year from now, but I just feel like this season was so special that it will be tough to duplicate...
                        I certainly didn't expect home ice when the season started, but down the stretch I honestly thought they had a shot at #2 or even a first place tie. I thought they were as good as BC, and I thought they were clearly better than both BU and UNH. When the chips were down they only proved one of those assertions directly, and another one indirectly, but if they had been a bit more fastidious against some of the lower-ranked teams, like UML and PC, they could have finished higher.

Still they made it to the finals, so I suppose that's irrelevant.

I agree with you-- it's going to be hard to duplicate this year's result. At best, I think they may exchange Da Costa's playmaking with Myers' sniping, if he adjusts well to the college game, but it may mean having to have two lines that can play like the Madsen-Sheen-Flanigan line instead of one, and no finesse line like they had with SDC.

Also, despite the constant praise, Cannata I think needs to improve. Perhaps we saw the downside to his unflappability in the postseason? Or were the soft goals really just freak occurrences?

Comment

Originally posted by dmjossel View Post
                          The word you're looking for is "troll". Jokes are humorous.

Here's a newsflash: not everybody lives in the same timezone as you. If it was nothing, why bother posting it in the first place?

Nearly everything I cited was written before your post. The idea that anybody is waiting for your green light to an express an opinion on anything is insulting.

They're both putting you back on the ignore list? Oh, wait... that's me.
                          please do , will save others from reading your waste of space posts

The green light comment was a joke. Stick to the band next time around.
                          Last edited by Hokydad; 04-05-2011, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dmjossel View Post
                            Also, despite the constant praise, Cannata I think needs to improve. Perhaps we saw the downside to his unflappability in the postseason? Or were the soft goals really just freak occurrences?
                            I saw enough from him to think he's a top tier goalie in HEA, but I agree he has room for improvement. It's a fine line between some of those late goals. The one against ND to make it 3-2 (the one that bounced out of his glove and off the crossbar and then in) was soft, IMO. The OT goal was just one-in-a-million freak, though.

Comment

Is so excited to be attending the return of the prodigal son on saturday at the garden I have at least 1 ticket for me...now we wait to see if the 2nd one becomes mine and I can start the bidding wars on here to watch SDC come back into town wearing the red and white of Ottawa
                              As everyone knows... there was a crisis, as Justin (MCHOCKEY) went AWOL 4 minutes into the first game... and thankfully he wandered his way to the meet and greet in one piece... listening to Mike (Warrior51) tell this story was *** hilarious...

-Redman after the first night of the HE Tournament(2004).

Comment

I plan on heading down to the garden about an hour before game time to haggle with the usual scum out on causeway for tix
                                Before there was a band there was "the drum guy"

@SalvucciM

Comment

Working...
                                X