Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Merrimack Offseason: ya, so that was fun.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Merrimack Offseason: ya, so that was fun.........

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
    I'm guessing he's gone. I'm thinking Cannata, Da Costa definitely gone. Bigos more than 50% gone. Todd, Stollery, Flanigan less than 50%, but are possibilities.
    Unless Vancouver is certain that Joey cannot improve under Dennehy and Healey and maybe Daccord, then there is no way he is going anywhere after his last 6 weeks.

Manitoba does not need a goalie that is going to leave those juicy rebounds and let in softie after softie in big games, and then not have his stick on the ice when a defender tries carrying the puck through the crease in OT. Luongo and Schneider are not going to make room in Vancouver for that either.

Joe can be stellar, but he lost it at the end of the season and there is no way he is ready even for the ECHL at this point.

last, I am SHOCKED that DaCosta played the way he did in Manchester without a deal already in place... he connected on exactly one pass in the offensive zone.. all the people in my section at the Verizon were certaint that he just stopped caring because of the contract that was in place.... and now he is going to negotiate after that performance?

Good luck bon chance... dangling better than Gretzky ain't enough if ya can't make the pass.

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
      last, I am SHOCKED that DaCosta played the way he did in Manchester without a deal already in place... he connected on exactly one pass in the offensive zone.. all the people in my section at the Verizon were certaint that he just stopped caring because of the contract that was in place.... and now he is going to negotiate after that performance?

Good luck bon chance... dangling better than Gretzky ain't enough if ya can't make the pass.
      Really? I thought his vision and passing were fantastic Saturday (and every other time I've watched him play). I thought those missed passes were way more the result of teammates not being ready or gripping the stick too tight. I remember a couple of us in the press box saying at some point in the second that he should've had two or three assists if his teammates could just finish.
      Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
        Unless Vancouver is certain that Joey cannot improve under Dennehy and Healey and maybe Daccord, then there is no way he is going anywhere after his last 6 weeks.

Manitoba does not need a goalie that is going to leave those juicy rebounds and let in softie after softie in big games, and then not have his stick on the ice when a defender tries carrying the puck through the crease in OT. Luongo and Schneider are not going to make room in Vancouver for that either.

Joe can be stellar, but he lost it at the end of the season and there is no way he is ready even for the ECHL at this point.

Dacosta was the best player on the ice and the announcers raved about him the entire game. His problem is that he was 2 steps ahead of everyone and literaly controlled the game and the pace. Over 25 teams with offers out to him, none of whom left Manchester without wanting him and feeling that he is wasting his time playing college hockey.

Vancouver wants and is trying to sign JC as well. Nice though to see you 2 are on a first name basis. I doubt they are concerned with a fluke goal. You have to be kidding on that one. If the bad habits are fostering as you say, obviously under current staff, in your world they would do everything to get him out of there. You cant have it both ways.

I would expect him to stay but if he wanted to leave, they would take him today.

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
          Really? I thought his vision and passing were fantastic Saturday (and every other time I've watched him play). I thought those missed passes were way more the result of teammates not being ready or gripping the stick too tight. I remember a couple of us in the press box saying at some point in the second that he should've had two or three assists if his teammates could just finish.
          Exactly. He was making plays Jeff Jackson couldnt even keep up with... He is the next Derek Steppan

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
            Dacosta was the best player on the ice and the announcers raved about him the entire game. His problem is that he was 2 steps ahead of everyone and literaly controlled the game and the pace.
            Yep. From my view, he was hands down the best player in Manchester this weekend.
            Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Dacosta was the best player on the ice and the announcers raved about him the entire game. His problem is that he was 2 steps ahead of everyone and literaly controlled the game and the pace. Over 25 teams with offers out to him, none of whom left Manchester without wanting him and feeling that he is wasting his time playing college hockey.

Vancouver wants and is trying to sign JC as well. Nice though to see you 2 are on a first name basis. I doubt they are concerned with a fluke goal. You have to be kidding on that one. If the bad habits are fostering as you say, obviously under current staff, in your world they would do everything to get him out of there. You cant have it both ways.

I would expect him to stay but if he wanted to leave, they would take him today.
              HokyDad,
              I've never seen someone check himself out the last month of the season in all my years following Merrimack hockey, like Cannata did. He's been awful, giving up soft goals and being distracted the last month of the season. He still made some great saves, but his focus was else where.

I see Da Costa and Cannata definitely leaving. Possibly Bigos, Todd, Stollery, Flanigan. What do you see?

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                HokyDad,
                I've never seen someone check himself out the last month of the season in all my years following Merrimack hockey, like Cannata did. He's been awful, giving up soft goals and being distracted the last month of the season. He still made some great saves, but his focus was else where.

I see Da Costa and Cannata definitely leaving. Possibly Bigos, Todd, Stollery, Flanigan. What do you see?
                Flukey crap stuff. JC is fine and at times showed great poise. UNH in semis to rebound after that no goal and play like he did was class+ He is fine. He had a rough final weekend at Worlds few years ago and came right back. He has the perfect mind set for goalie and will kill himself with Daccord and be ready. He loves MC and is a stble kid. I could see him staying but wouldnt be shocked either way. If he does, MC owes both him and SD a ton. Great teammates who helped make MC what it is today.

Dont see Bigos going, his skating was exposed vs ND and just not fast enough. labored whole weekend, especially on dump ins etc. Not ready for the Jason Krogs of the world who are still in the AHL. Needs another year+ at MC and to keep working on feet. Todd and Stollery, you never know. MC is losing a ton but will be fine.

The one thing I keep hearing that interests me the most is head coach MD. Word is he will go after NU job if Cronin leaves as expected. Now that would be interesting. I doubt its true but have heard from more than one+
                Flannagan was only other one who made a great name for himself. He was dead on all week+

Comment

Didn't he just sign a contract with MC?
                  Before there was a band there was "the drum guy"

@SalvucciM

Comment

Originally posted by Salvo1017 View Post
                    Didn't he just sign a contract with MC?
                    Has that stopped big name coaches before? I'm not saying I agree with Hokydad that Cronin will leave NU or that MD would apply for/take/get the job at NU if Cronin did leave, but I'm just saying contracts haven't stopped people in the past.

Also, I want to make clear I'm not saying MD is unethical, lacking integrity, or a liar, by what I'm saying. I'm sure most of us would go for more money and more prestige at a different job if offered to us.

I'd be shocked if MD's agent doesn't go back to Hofmann and Hopey and say "Hey, the school has made a lot of money off this run at the end of the year. Other jobs are opening up, let's up the ante a little."

Season ticket renewals will go up, new season ticket holders will happen, more people will donate money, some people will donate more money, etc.
                    Last edited by irishfan85; 03-28-2011, 05:49 PM.

Comment

It's hard to know without reading the K. A lot of contracts have a covenant not to compete for a stipulated duration (usually the length of the K or longer). If such a clause exists and Dennehy left early he wouldn't be able to sign with a team for a certain number of years etc.
                      Before there was a band there was "the drum guy"

@SalvucciM

Comment

Originally posted by Salvo1017 View Post
                        It's hard to know without reading the K. A lot of contracts have a covenant not to compete for a stipulated duration (usually the length of the K or longer). If such a clause exists and Dennehy left early he wouldn't be able to sign with a team for a certain number of years etc.
                        That's why there are buyouts. I'm certain that if there was a non-compete clause, there would also be a clause saying which schools he could look at. For example, I'd be shocked if there wasn't a clause in his contract that read something on the lines of "No buyout if BC job is offered." (He's a BC alum)

Comment

and its probably a bs rumor. just heard it several times and it caught my attention.
                          will be tough without SD and all the srs leaving. Just look at maine weekend and U mass without SD. Also look at the diffeence last weekend of season with him on fri and without saturday. night and day

qtrs though were huge and allowed guys like flannagan to shine. hopefully not to the point where he elaves.

Comment

and its probably a bs rumor. just heard it several times and it caught my attention.
                            will be tough without SD and all the srs leaving. Just look at maine weekend and U mass without SD. Also look at the diffeence last weekend of season with him on fri and without saturday. night and day

qtrs though were huge and allowed guys like flannagan to shine. hopefully not to the point where he elaves.
                            I've heard the Cronin rumors, but haven't heard that MD would pursue the job.

Comment

word is Cronin is gone for sure. Same with ast AO. You never know, could be speculation. Cronin has a great group and knows others are off next year, maybe get a beanpot and ncaa bid and go out on top. If he did lave, that would be a great openeing and would be better than others available

Comment

If he did lave, that would be a great openeing and would be better than others available
                                You think? Haha. PC has had two good years since the 80s and plays in a god awful facility and has no talent returning basically and not much recruiting been done. UML is an opportunity with a nice facility, but NU has the benefits of the world wide name and the Beanpot and Boston exposure. I love Matthews, too, when it is rocking.

Comment

Working...
                                X