Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Potential new DIII Programs and the future of the Northeast 10 DII teams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Potential new DIII Programs and the future of the Northeast 10 DII teams?

Anybody know what is going to happen to the DII programs and if the NCAA will allow them ever to compete for a berth in the NCAA's or will they continue to be 6 phantoms on D3 schools schedules?

Any schools adding new programs out there as I know the ECAC West is obviously still at 5 and no schools from the East will journey over to help fill the gap even if it were. Rumor had it that the West was tightlipped on the possibility of two teams coming into the conference within a year to two years time frame.

Re: Any Potential new DIII Programs and the future of the Northeast 10 DII teams?

what happened to the Utica to the SUNYAC??

Comment

Re: Any Potential new DIII Programs and the future of the Northeast 10 DII teams?

I heard NYU was going to get a team and go into the ECAC-West

Comment

(a) I don't see any of those schools reclassifying the athletic programs to D-III as there is, IIRC, a 4 year "cleansing" period to remove all taint of athletic scholarships...
        (a.1) If nobody reclassifies, then we (they) need legislation at the D-II and D-III level for a national collegiate championship.
        (a.2) How will this affect (did I get it right, Prof?) Lindenwood who is reclassifying from NAIA to Division II?? Their women's team is going to play-up @ D-I.
        (b) As far as I know, Utica has not filed the paperwork (and the $2,000) to join the SUNYAC as an affiliate.

Ok you CCCP hockey fans..... If we get an NCC could we do this if the ECAC-E drops to 8 teams, the MASCAC has 7 teams, the NE-10 has 6 teams, and the ECAC-NE has 8 teams with everyone playing 2X in conference????? That frees up a LOT of OOC games so....
        (1) October 15 - Thanksgiving, play interconference matchups.
        (2) December - begin conference games
        (3) Holidays - more OOC games.
        (4) January - February - finish out the conference.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by hockey247 View Post
          I heard NYU was going to get a team and go into the ECAC-West
          This would be nice and would make a great travel partner for Manhattanville...
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

NYU would have a nice rink to play at as well Chelsea Piers.........but parking is 15 bucks per hour

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
              This would be nice and would make a great travel partner for Manhattanville...
              Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
              NYU would have a nice rink to play at as well Chelsea Piers.........but parking is 15 bucks per hour
              bakdraft, ever been to the Sky Rink? I think you're the first I've ever heard describe it as a "nice rink". Bus has to leave the team at the curb, and the team then has to lug all the equipment through a busy parking garage and up a narrow set of equally-busy stairs. Once you get in, it doesn't get much better... Extremely cold (never been to Hobart, Cortland, or Stout, but when y'all complain about those rinks, this is what I imagine), locker rooms are tiny (and you get to leave your equipment in a closet during the game, because men's league needs to use the locker rooms...), sight lines are horrible (nice metal beams blocking the view of half the rink if you're in the top third of the bleachers). Seen some strange goings-on there, too. About 6-7 minutes into a game, the scoreboard accidentally got turned off. Since nobody could remember exactly how much time was left in the period, it was decided by the referee "meh, just put up 8 minutes left, and we'll call it good".

Sure, there's a nice view of a lively restaurant (or something of that nature) out of the waterfront through the windows behind the team benches (therefore across the ice from the fans), but that's about all I can think of that this place has going for it...

NB: This is my personal opinion, and is not to be construed to reflect the opinion of Siena Hockey as an organization, or that of any of it's associated individuals.

All of that said, I'd love to see NYU going DIII. As Prez said, their location makes them a perfect fit for the ECAC-W. The conference would just need to convince one of the various other DIII private institutions in NY or PA with club teams to step up to the plate, and the problem is solved. As of right now, however, I'll believe when I see something concrete and official.
              Plattsburgh CARDINALS
              SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
              ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
              NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
              NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
              NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
              NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Sad fact #1 -- Sky Rink was used as a morgue on 9/11.
                Sad fact #2 -- The Titanic was supposed to dock there.
                Sad fact #3 -- The Lusitania last voyage began there.

And Nate - everything you say about that rink is 100% spot on. Too bad Manhattanville and NYU could not share Playland.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

They would not have to go that far - City Ice Pavilion in Long Island City and the World Ice Arena in Flushing Meadows are closer and nicer facilities than Playland, where you have to fight your way through birthday parties and disco night if you are in the visitor's locker room.....
                  LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    (a) I don't see any of those schools reclassifying the athletic programs to D-III as there is, IIRC, a 4 year "cleansing" period to remove all taint of athletic scholarships...
                    (a.1) If nobody reclassifies, then we (they) need legislation at the D-II and D-III level for a national collegiate championship.
                    (a.2) How will this affect (did I get it right, Prof?) Lindenwood who is reclassifying from NAIA to Division II?? Their women's team is going to play-up @ D-I.
                    (b) As far as I know, Utica has not filed the paperwork (and the $2,000) to join the SUNYAC as an affiliate.

Ok you CCCP hockey fans..... If we get an NCC could we do this if the ECAC-E drops to 8 teams, the MASCAC has 7 teams, the NE-10 has 6 teams, and the ECAC-NE has 8 teams with everyone playing 2X in conference????? That frees up a LOT of OOC games so....
                    (1) October 15 - Thanksgiving, play interconference matchups.
                    (2) December - begin conference games
                    (3) Holidays - more OOC games.
                    (4) January - February - finish out the conference.
                    If Lindenwood goes DII, IIR, they won't be able to play up (the women can because of the NC status of the DI/DII tournament.) Here's a wild solution to the ECAC West situation to throw into your blue skying, joe. Let Lindenwood go to the MCHA and move Adrian to the ECAC W as an associate member (relieving the need to have them join the ECAC). Adrian wouldn't be making trips that are any longer than some of them they make now. With an NC we would not have to worry about the DIII in/out of region stuff. Now you give the ECAC W an autobid also because, for an NC autobid the conference floor is 6 members. We also get away from the 6.5:1 rule in the process,

(yes, joe you got affect/effect thing right )
                    Last edited by NUProf; 03-28-2011, 03:04 PM.
                    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                      what happened to the Utica to the SUNYAC??
                      The vote is in May.
                      Russell Jaslow
                      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                        Now you give the ECAC W an autobid also because, for an NC autobid the conference floor is 6 members.
                        That's for D1. The minimum is 7 members for D3 conferences.
                        Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                          That's for D1. The minimum is 7 members for D3 conferences.
                          I know that. I was following along with joe's blue skying about a National Collegiate Championship combining DII and DIII - are you saying that under those circumstances a DII conference could get an AQ if it had 6 members, but a DIII conference would have to have 7. Somehow that doesn't seem right. I know, it's the NCAA.
                          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                            bakdraft, ever been to the Sky Rink? I think you're the first I've ever heard describe it as a "nice rink". Bus has to leave the team at the curb, and the team then has to lug all the equipment through a busy parking garage and up a narrow set of equally-busy stairs. Once you get in, it doesn't get much better... Extremely cold (never been to Hobart, Cortland, or Stout, but when y'all complain about those rinks, this is what I imagine), locker rooms are tiny (and you get to leave your equipment in a closet during the game, because men's league needs to use the locker rooms...), sight lines are horrible (nice metal beams blocking the view of half the rink if you're in the top third of the bleachers). Seen some strange goings-on there, too. About 6-7 minutes into a game, the scoreboard accidentally got turned off. Since nobody could remember exactly how much time was left in the period, it was decided by the referee "meh, just put up 8 minutes left, and we'll call it good".

Sure, there's a nice view of a lively restaurant (or something of that nature) out of the waterfront through the windows behind the team benches (therefore across the ice from the fans), but that's about all I can think of that this place has going for it...

NB: This is my personal opinion, and is not to be construed to reflect the opinion of Siena Hockey as an organization, or that of any of it's associated individuals.

All of that said, I'd love to see NYU going DIII. As Prez said, their location makes them a perfect fit for the ECAC-W. The conference would just need to convince one of the various other DIII private institutions in NY or PA with club teams to step up to the plate, and the problem is solved. As of right now, however, I'll believe when I see something concrete and official.
                            I have been to Chelsea piers/sky rink many times, played there, and watched there........the rink itself is nice, stands are nice but the otherthings, i.e. the lockerooms are horrible..that said you would figure if they, NYU played there, as they have HUGE $$$$ they would do a little spruseing up.......as for the Ice pavillion In LIC, I think former Western Michigan star is running the joint.......care to guess who?????? I am sure you very resourcefull people will find out who..........

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                              I know that. I was following along with joe's blue skying about a National Collegiate Championship combining DII and DIII - are you saying that under those circumstances a DII conference could get an AQ if it had 6 members, but a DIII conference would have to have 7. Somehow that doesn't seem right. I know, it's the NCAA.
                              I have no idea what the D2 rules are.

Personally, if we are going to go with your blue-sky scenario, I would still like to see it run with D3 rules, with the D2 schools finding a way to abide by them when those teams "play down."
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

Working...
                              X