X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UND Fighting Sioux vs. UM Wolverines

Originally posted by WestCoastSioux View Post
    I'm actually just posting for your mom.
    Ah, you're in high school. Now it all makes sense. Good luck in your home ec class.
    She wants you to move out of the basement and get a real job!
    Now you've apparently got me mixed up with Dirty. For shame.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      ahahahaha what a loser. Now, if we could only find out if that's a USCHO poster.
      My guess is Willy the Kid.

Comment

Hak with more class:

*****http://i1143.***********.com/albums/n634/Hirschy1/hakstol_bird.jpg******

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
          Speaking of classy:

http://plixi.com/p/90438907
          Enough said, Winnett got the same treatment in the first period. GO BLUE
          Infrequent poster, frequent reader.

Comment

Originally posted by Jockstock View Post
            Hak with more class:

*****http://i1143.***********.com/albums/n634/Hirschy1/hakstol_bird.jpg******
            the finger in that pic is inconclusive maybe UMichigan should review it

Comment

I hate to be the one to steer the conversation back to hockey, but I do have to say that while it seems like the obvious prima facie interpretation, the notion that Michigan was outplayed and was bailed out by a few bounces and a hot goalie sells a great game short. Sure, starting in the second period when Michigan adopted a defensive posture UND started to dominate puck possession. It wasn't only Hunwick, though, who was responsible for the fact that UND couldn't translate that possession time into anything more substantive. Not to take anything away from the kid—a 40 save shutout is a 40 save shutout—but Michigan won the chess match with letter perfect team defense. Many of those 40 shots came from the perimeter because Michigan successfully contained the offensive threat by shutting down passing lanes and taking away quality opportunities.

I'm not usually a big fan of the protect-the-lead approach, but Michigan pulled it off beautifully tonight, and the glib storyline in which they were outplayed but saved by Hunwick's heroics glosses over what was, in fact, a hard fought and strategically interesting game.

Anyway, as a disinterested observer, that's my piece.
              "Alcohol taken into the stomach passes into vapour and spreads through the system with great rapidity; which helps to explain the spontaneous combustion of spirit-drinkers, & many other phenomena."
              –-John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Green Submarine View Post
                I hate to be the one to steer the conversation back to hockey, but I do have to say that while it seems like the obvious prima facie interpretation, the notion that Michigan was outplayed and was bailed out by a few bounces and a hot goalie sells a great game short. Sure, starting in the second period when Michigan adopted a defensive posture UND started to dominate puck possession. It wasn't only Hunwick, though, who was responsible for the fact that UND couldn't translate that possession time into anything more substantive. Not to take anything away from the kid—a 40 save shutout is a 40 save shutout—but Michigan won the chess match with letter perfect team defense. Many of those 40 shots came from the perimeter because Michigan successfully contained the offensive threat by shutting down passing lanes and taking away quality opportunities.

I'm not usually a big fan of the protect-the-lead approach, but Michigan pulled it off beautifully tonight, and the glib storyline in which they were outplayed but saved by Hunwick's heroics glosses over what was, in fact, a hard fought and strategically interesting game.

I saw a LOT of individual battles won by the Sioux players. This more than anything usually determines the outcome of a game, but not tonight. The vast majority of board battles were won by the Sioux and Michigan seemed a step slow, even before they took the lead.

That game could have easily been 5-1 Sioux.

But give Michigan credit for hanging in there and getting the "W". In the end, that's all that matters.

Comment

I tend to agree, although Hunwick obviously was the star of the game.

What I actually though the most telling was UND had 6 PP's tonight (I think) and I cannot think of one scary moment in any of them. THAT was the game, imho.
                  Go Blue!
                  U!N!O!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                    I saw a LOT of individual battles won by the Sioux players. This more than anything usually determines the outcome of a game, but not tonight. The vast majority of board battles were won by the Sioux and Michigan seemed a step slow, even before they took the lead.
                    That's one of the reasons I found this to be such an interesting game. I entirely agree that in the one-on-one scrums UND usually came out with the puck. But they came out with the puck and no options, which is a testament to Michigan's positional play. UND won the puck possession game, but they lost the game away from the puck. That's not an easy feat to pull off, and Michigan deserves some credit for doing it so well.
                    "Alcohol taken into the stomach passes into vapour and spreads through the system with great rapidity; which helps to explain the spontaneous combustion of spirit-drinkers, & many other phenomena."
                    –-John Stuart Mill

Comment

Exactly. This wasn't Michigan getting thoroughly outplayed. Michigan's gameplan was to play in a defensive posture and take advantage of offensive opportunities as they were presented instead of playing their typical high tempo transition game. It's a coaching strategy that is obviously paying dividends in the tournament with strong D-corp and goaltending they're getting this year.

Comment

It is a bummer you lost but really do you need to be this mad? It is just a game.

*****http://boston.3432.voxcdn.com/files/2011/04/FUmichigan-480x3601.jpg******
                        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

That game could have easily been 5-1 Sioux.

But give Michigan credit for hanging in there and getting the "W". In the end, that's all that matters.
                          If the Sioux would have gotten a lead, Michigan would have opened things up and gotten more than one goal.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                            It is a bummer you lost but really do you need to be this mad? It is just a game.

*****http://boston.3432.voxcdn.com/files/2011/04/FUmichigan-480x3601.jpg******
                            Yes, that's a pretty good summary of why so many college hockey fans are happy tonight. I rooted for Michigan tonight. Michigan! (Shudder). Good job wolverines. But now that the skating d bags are gone, its back to rooting for the wcha.

Comment

That's one of the reasons I found this to be such an interesting game. I entirely agree that in the one-on-one scrums UND usually came out with the puck. But they came out with the puck and no options, which is a testament to Michigan's positional play. UND won the puck possession game, but they lost the game away from the puck. That's not an easy feat to pull off, and Michigan deserves some credit for doing it so well.
                              You make good points about having no options much of the time, however UND had 5-10 glorious chances that they flat out failed to convert on. In a game like tonight's, with very little breating room on the ice, your skill players need to be skill players and convert on the few chances they do get.

Again, props to Michigan for playing a winning strategy, but the NoDak players will be replaying those opportunities in their heads for quite some time.

Comment

Originally posted by kdilks View Post
                                If the Sioux would have gotten a lead, Michigan would have opened things up and gotten more than one goal.
                                Sorry, 5-2.

Comment

Working...
                                X