PDA

View Full Version : NCAA probes UNE

Pages : [1] 2

d3follower
03-27-2011, 02:32 PM
UNE has run into problems with the NCAA with regard to financial aid packages for six Canadian hockey players (http://www.pressherald.com/news/ncaa-probes-athletes-financial-aid_2011-03-27.html). Apparently the six players were each awarded "diversity scholarships" of $8,000 apiece only UNE pulled the plug on the scholarships just before the start of classes in September of 2010. The students were given the choice of keeping the aid but not playing hockey or playing hockey and foregoing the scholarships. One of the six, Joe Grandinetti, was able to immediately transfer to USM; another (David Walters) was to be a freshman D-man; two found a way to continue at UNE without the scholarships (sophomores Scott McManaman and Adam Laite); one (goalie Dallas Ungarian) sat out the year and stayed at home in Alberta; and the sixth, Kody Collins, continued at UNE but sat out the season. Collins plans to transfer to USM for the coming season.

dinocoach
03-27-2011, 05:09 PM
UNE has run into problems with the NCAA with regard to financial aid packages for six Canadian hockey players (http://www.pressherald.com/news/ncaa-probes-athletes-financial-aid_2011-03-27.html). Apparently the six players were each awarded "diversity scholarships" of $8,000 apiece only UNE pulled the plug on the scholarships just before the start of classes in September of 2010. The students were given the choice of keeping the aid but not playing hockey or playing hockey and foregoing the scholarships. One of the six, Joe Grandinetti, was able to immediately transfer to USM; another (David Walters) was to be a freshman D-man; two found a way to continue at UNE without the scholarships (sophomores Scott McManaman and Adam Laite); one (goalie Dallas Ungarian) sat out the year and stayed at home in Alberta; and the sixth, Kody Collins, continued at UNE but sat out the season. Collins plans to transfer to USM for the coming season.

The Portland Press Herald led with a front page, above the fold story. It sounds like someone, not in the athletic office screwed up.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/ncaa-probes-athletes-financial-aid_2011-03-27.html

NUProf
03-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Same kind of situation as Genesseo and Buff. State last year.

joecct
03-27-2011, 07:24 PM
Guess some D-I major program screwed up and the NCAA decided to look @ UNE. Thought we only saw that in football or basketball.

PrezdeJohnson09
03-27-2011, 07:32 PM
Hope this doesn't effect their new rink plans.

NUProf
03-27-2011, 07:54 PM

No, but it might affect them. I doubt that it will cause them :D

jerrynu26
03-27-2011, 11:15 PM
No, but it might affect them. I doubt that it will cause them :D

+1 One of MY personal crusades....

Hammer
03-27-2011, 11:16 PM
My favorite is "lose" vs "loose". How do you "loose" to a team. Do you unhook the chain from their necks before they go score against you?

joecct
03-28-2011, 12:38 AM
My favorite is "lose" vs "loose". How do you "loose" to a team. Do you unhook the chain from their necks before they go score against you?let me see if I have this straight -- If I am too loose, I lose. But if I lose, It means I'm loose??

Or, if was in France, I would be Toulouse????

hockeyfan77
03-28-2011, 03:07 AM

It won't....The rink in Biddeford is a dump....It's probably the only rink I hate worse than Spartan Arena!!!!

jerrynu26
03-28-2011, 05:51 AM
It won't....The rink in Biddeford is a dump....It's probably the only rink I hate worse than Spartan Arena!!!!
It does have one nice feature, from a fan perspective, on the second floor overlooking the arena!

joecct
03-28-2011, 05:55 AM
It won't....The rink in Biddeford is a dump....It's probably the only rink I hate worse than Spartan Arena!!!!But aren't they getting an Alfond just like most of the schools in ME???

On a second note, at least nobody is blaming Castleton (yet). :D

hockeyfan77
03-28-2011, 06:07 AM
It does have one nice feature, from a fan perspective, on the second floor overlooking the arena!

It's where I played about 60 percent of my hockey. Bad memories makes me shudder!!! I don't drink so I dint venture onto the 2nd floor. :)

hockeyfan77
03-28-2011, 06:12 AM
But aren't they getting an Alfond just like most of the schools in ME???

On a second note, at least nobody is blaming Castleton (yet). :D

Yeah, last I heard they are.

CARDS_rule_the_Burgh
03-28-2011, 08:52 AM
So, if I'm reading this right, it would seem to me that, like Geneseo and Buff State, the school realized the financial imbalance, cut the program (the article says it was actually $12,000 that they cut down to $4,000), and self-reported to the NCAA... if that is all accurate, I'd be willing to bet they're going to get the exact same punishment as the previous 2... 1 year postseason ban, plus 5 years probation. But I could be wrong. That's the logical thought process... but his is the NCAA we're talking about. :D

d3follower
03-28-2011, 09:41 AM
So, if I'm reading this right, it would seem to me that, like Geneseo and Buff State, the school realized the financial imbalance, cut the program (the article says it was actually $12,000 that they cut down to $4,000), and self-reported to the NCAA... if that is all accurate, I'd be willing to bet they're going to get the exact same punishment as the previous 2... 1 year postseason ban, plus 5 years probation. But I could be wrong. That's the logical thought process... but his is the NCAA we're talking about. :D

We don't know that UNE self reported and it would seem as though the UNE practices continued after the Geneseo and Buffalo sanctions were announced.

NUProf
03-28-2011, 03:32 PM
We don't know that UNE self reported and it would seem as though the UNE practices continued after the Geneseo and Buffalo sanctions were announced.

It sounds as though they cut the program off when they discovered the issue. What seems strange is somebody claiming he lost a year of eligibility. That wouldn't happen unless he practiced with the team after the first game of the season.

d3follower
03-28-2011, 08:57 PM
It sounds as though they cut the program off when they discovered the issue. What seems strange is somebody claiming he lost a year of eligibility. That wouldn't happen unless he practiced with the team after the first game of the season.

They discovered the issue that late in the game?????? That suggests rather high levels of incompetence. The NCAA restrictions have been in effect for a long time -- after all, each school has to submit its financial aid data to the NCAA every year. The sanctions imposed on Buffalo and Geneseo were discussed on this board some time ago.

dinocoach
03-28-2011, 09:00 PM

The Biddeford Barn is the only Bar with a rink in it!

NUProf
03-28-2011, 09:04 PM
They discovered the issue that late in the game?????? That suggests rather high levels of incompetence. The NCAA restrictions have been in effect for a long time -- after all, each school has to submit its financial aid data to the NCAA every year. The sanctions imposed on Buffalo and Geneseo were discussed on this board some time ago.

I don't know the timeline. I'm suggesting that that is the only way anybody could have lost a year of eligibility, unless the player making the claim doesn't know what the rules are, but threatening to sue for a lost year of eligibility would only fit if that were the case. I'm thinking that the player doesn't know what the eligibility rules are. Otherwise, it sounded like everything did get taken care of on time.