NCAA probes UNE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA probes UNE

UNE has run into problems with the NCAA with regard to financial aid packages for six Canadian hockey players. Apparently the six players were each awarded "diversity scholarships" of $8,000 apiece only UNE pulled the plug on the scholarships just before the start of classes in September of 2010. The students were given the choice of keeping the aid but not playing hockey or playing hockey and foregoing the scholarships. One of the six, Joe Grandinetti, was able to immediately transfer to USM; another (David Walters) was to be a freshman D-man; two found a way to continue at UNE without the scholarships (sophomores Scott McManaman and Adam Laite); one (goalie Dallas Ungarian) sat out the year and stayed at home in Alberta; and the sixth, Kody Collins, continued at UNE but sat out the season. Collins plans to transfer to USM for the coming season.
    Last edited by d3follower; 03-27-2011, 01:37 PM.

Re: NCAA probes UNE

Originally posted by d3follower View Post
    UNE has run into problems with the NCAA with regard to financial aid packages for six Canadian hockey players. Apparently the six players were each awarded "diversity scholarships" of $8,000 apiece only UNE pulled the plug on the scholarships just before the start of classes in September of 2010. The students were given the choice of keeping the aid but not playing hockey or playing hockey and foregoing the scholarships. One of the six, Joe Grandinetti, was able to immediately transfer to USM; another (David Walters) was to be a freshman D-man; two found a way to continue at UNE without the scholarships (sophomores Scott McManaman and Adam Laite); one (goalie Dallas Ungarian) sat out the year and stayed at home in Alberta; and the sixth, Kody Collins, continued at UNE but sat out the season. Collins plans to transfer to USM for the coming season.
    The Portland Press Herald led with a front page, above the fold story. It sounds like someone, not in the athletic office screwed up.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/ncaa...011-03-27.html

Comment

Same kind of situation as Genesseo and Buff. State last year.
      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Guess some D-I major program screwed up and the NCAA decided to look @ UNE. Thought we only saw that in football or basketball.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Hope this doesn't effect their new rink plans.
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
            No, but it might affect them. I doubt that it will cause them
            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
              No, but it might affect them. I doubt that it will cause them
              +1 One of MY personal crusades....
              Go 'Wick!

Comment

My favorite is "lose" vs "loose". How do you "loose" to a team. Do you unhook the chain from their necks before they go score against you?
                FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                  My favorite is "lose" vs "loose". How do you "loose" to a team. Do you unhook the chain from their necks before they go score against you?
                  let me see if I have this straight -- If I am too loose, I lose. But if I lose, It means I'm loose??

Or, if was in France, I would be Toulouse????
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

It won't....The rink in Biddeford is a dump....It's probably the only rink I hate worse than Spartan Arena!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyfan77 View Post
                      It won't....The rink in Biddeford is a dump....It's probably the only rink I hate worse than Spartan Arena!!!!
                      It does have one nice feature, from a fan perspective, on the second floor overlooking the arena!
                      Go 'Wick!

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyfan77 View Post
                        But aren't they getting an Alfond just like most of the schools in ME???

On a second note, at least nobody is blaming Castleton (yet).
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
                          It does have one nice feature, from a fan perspective, on the second floor overlooking the arena!
                          It's where I played about 60 percent of my hockey. Bad memories makes me shudder!!! I don't drink so I dint venture onto the 2nd floor.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            But aren't they getting an Alfond just like most of the schools in ME???

On a second note, at least nobody is blaming Castleton (yet).
                            Yeah, last I heard they are.

Comment

So, if I'm reading this right, it would seem to me that, like Geneseo and Buff State, the school realized the financial imbalance, cut the program (the article says it was actually $12,000 that they cut down to $4,000), and self-reported to the NCAA... if that is all accurate, I'd be willing to bet they're going to get the exact same punishment as the previous 2... 1 year postseason ban, plus 5 years probation. But I could be wrong. That's the logical thought process... but his is the NCAA we're talking about.
                              Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                              SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                              ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                              NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                              NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                              NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                              NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Working...
                              X