Can a penalty be called on the goalie...........my daughter asks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a penalty be called on the goalie...........my daughter asks

I was at the Northeast regional yesterday when my daughter asked me if a goalie can be called for a penalty and what happens if that happens. She thought it would be pretty neat to see the goalie in the box. I answered.

a. I am sure they can be called on the goalie, but I have NEVER seen that happen.

b. If that happens I am sure some other player sits out the minutes in the box.

So, my question is has anyone ever seen a penalty called on a goalie and what was the situation.

Thanks

Re: Can a penalty be called on the goalie...........my daughter asks

Originally posted by Db4gb View Post
    I was at the Northeast regional yesterday when my daughter asked me if a goalie can be called for a penalty and what happens if that happens. She thought it would be pretty neat to see the goalie in the box. I answered.

a. I am sure they can be called on the goalie, but I have NEVER seen that happen.

So, my question is has anyone ever seen a penalty called on a goalie and what was the situation.

Thanks
    Most often goalie penalties would be some form of interference, or in some leagues if they put the puck out of play without touching the glass, or if they end up getting in a scrum/fight.

I suppose they could also be at risk for slashing if they get upset with someone in their crease.

Someone else does sit out for them.
    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by Db4gb View Post

Thanks
      Yes, a goaltender may be called for a penalty. The penalty is served by another on ice player though.
      Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

2016-17 Penrose Cup Champions

YEARS SINCE LAST COLORADO COLLEGE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - 61...and counting

Chicago Cubs - WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS - 1907, 1908, 2016

Chicago Blackhawks - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS - 1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013, 2015

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
      www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

Yes, Michigan's goalie Hunwick has had a couple penalties called on him this season for being a little hot head... like this...(not that gazely didn't deserve it)

You can elect to have a forward/Dman serve the penalty for the goalie.

Comment

You guys must be new to the sport. Well everybody goes through the learning process. Yes the goalie can be called for a penalty, typically a slashing with his stick, tripping, or on a rare occasion fighting after the whistle and you are correct the goalie never goes to the box, always someone eles sits for him.

Comment

Rule From NCAA -

SECTION 7. a. A goalkeeper shall not be sent to the penalty bench for an
            offense that incurs a minor penalty. Instead, the captain of the offending
            team shall designate another member of the team who was on the ice when
            the offense was committed to serve the penalty, and such substitute shall
            not be changed.
            Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
            www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

Can a penalty be called on a coach? And, if so, do they have to serve the penalty?

And, if they are ejected from the game, is it legal to continue coaching from the locker room?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                you are correct the goalie never goes to the box, always someone eles sits for him.
                Actually...this isn't true. I distincly remember a BU/BC game at BC in 2008? where the BU goalie (Brett Bennet) was called for some type of interference or roughing (maybe diving??) and was actually sent to the box (to the great delight of the BC fans) for a 10 min misconduct, in addittion to a 2 min penalty. Certainly the only time I've seen that though

Comment

Originally posted by cg_siouxfan View Post
                  Can a penalty be called on a coach? And, if so, do they have to serve the penalty?

And, if they are ejected from the game, is it legal to continue coaching from the locker room?
                  Is it legal for a coach to flip the bird to a referee?

RIP Butch

sigpic
                  www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

Originally posted by BigRedTerrier View Post
                    Actually...this isn't true. I distincly remember a BU/BC game at BC in 2008? where the BU goalie (Brett Bennet) was called for some type of interference or roughing (maybe diving??) and was actually sent to the box (to the great delight of the BC fans) for a 10 min misconduct, in addittion to a 2 min penalty. Certainly the only time I've seen that though
                    Section 7b. - If a goalkeeper incurs a major or misconduct penalty, the goalkeeper shall
                    serve the time penalty; but a substitute player in goalkeeper’s equipment
                    shall be allowed in the game replacing some other player. When a major
                    penalty is assessed, a player without goalkeeper’s equipment shall go to
                    the penalty bench with the goalkeeper and shall go on the ice in place of
                    the penalized goalkeeper when the penalty time has expired. The penalized
                    goalkeeper may not leave the penalty bench until the first stoppage in play
                    after the expiration of the penalty.

RIP Butch

sigpic
                    www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

North Dakota played BU at Walter Brown Arena many years ago and their goalie got called for something and had to sit in the box. It was amusing. Can't remember what it was for, or if was the same series when Landon Wilson and a BU player got called for penalties before the game even started when they bumped each other and started some fisticuffs during warm ups.

Comment

Someone has that picture of dizzy Gillespie in the box....
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by dubbie31 View Post
                          Section 7b. - If a goalkeeper incurs a major or misconduct penalty, the goalkeeper shall
                          serve the time penalty; but a substitute player in goalkeeper’s equipment
                          shall be allowed in the game replacing some other player. When a major
                          penalty is assessed, a player without goalkeeper’s equipment shall go to
                          the penalty bench with the goalkeeper and shall go on the ice in place of
                          the penalized goalkeeper when the penalty time has expired. The penalized
                          goalkeeper may not leave the penalty bench until the first stoppage in play
                          after the expiration of the penalty.
                          It would seem this rule would make a goalie fight all the more intriguing.
                          Bulldog Hockey: 2011 National Champions! Finally!!!

Comment

Al Montoya had to sit for 10 min once after mouthing off to the ref after a call. It turned out pretty funny when the students started chanting "free Montoya.."

It happens.

Comment

Originally posted by cg_siouxfan View Post

That was freakin hilarious. Gwoz is the man.

Comment

Working...
                              X