NCAA Change the Tourney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NCAA Change the Tourney

I realize I may get absolutely shelled for proposing this, but I figure its worth a shot in this discussion.

Why not a pool system for each regional? Each team would play three games, six games total for the pool. It would create more games for fans to watch since they are guaranteed to see their team play three games, and would still keep the "one and done" mentality since even one loss could end your season. I know I would be more willing to shell out money to see my team in a regional if I was guaranteed three games. You might even consider keeping teams pooled in their regional area to increase fan support. I would recommend that there not be ties, eliminating the need for goal differential or any other goofy way of determining a winner in the event of a tie besides the head to head outcome. The winner of the pool would be the FF candidate from their regional.

Thoughts? Pros/Cons? Am I totally ******** for thinking this might work?
    Last edited by UMDSimmerdown; 03-29-2011, 12:44 PM.
    University of Minnesota Duluth Bulldogs
    2007 Alumni
    WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1984, 1985, 1993
    WCHA Tournament Champions: 1984, 1985, 2009
    NCAA Appearances: 1983, 1984, 1985, 1993, 2004, 2009, 2011
    Frozen Four Appearances: 1984, 1985, 2004, 2011
    National Champions: 2011

Comment

I'm afraid Chicago, with little or no local fans of college hockey, is centrally located but would be poorly attended. Unless Wisconsin was there. Fort Wayne is closer to both Miami and Michigan, and their Sunday final there last year was pitiful. There were more Michigan hockey fans at the Frozen Four that year, without Michigan, than there were at the regional with Michigan.

UMDSimmerdown, I won't slam you, but I don't think a World Cup round-robin style system is feasible. Brian at mgoblog.com actually mentioned it a few days ago, but he doesn't think it's realistic either. There are several problems:

You need at least three days reserved, with games on consecutive days. That's a big time commitment, and as discussed elsewhere in this thread, it is difficult for fans who were just at conference championships and hope to go to the Frozen Four to take a four-day weekend (last games on Sunday, many will need Monday off) to attend.

Competitively, it is a non-starter. In the World Cup they use this arrangement and allow two teams to advance, and still there are controversial and bizarre tie-breakers every time. Can you imagine, for example, UMD going 2 and 1 but staying home because of goal differential? About the only time tie-breakers wouldn't be required would be when one team went undefeated. Also, as Brian @mgoblog stated, the last day often has unusual competitive scenarios where ties are advantageous for certain teams. The World Cup deals with this by playing the last games simultaneously, which is impossible with one ice surface. This would be worse than the BCS, something that every college hockey fan is happy that we don't have.

You're thinking outside of the box, but I don't think it would work.
      Jesus Saves

Comment

Did you really just compare Chicago and Ft. Wayne?

Maybe you're right. Some folks probably aren't interested in anything more than hockey. :/
        1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Let's address the 3-game series vs. 1-and-done issue, assuming that both would happen at home rinks. Most of the pro-home-rink crowd here has been focusing on getting the teams out of neutral rinks and to home sites, without discussing the advantages of a series vs. a one-off. Alton and I have both mentioned both as possibilities.

3 game playoff series

Advantages:

*Provides players and fans to experience real, meaningful playoff series more akin to what other levels of hockey experience. Vastly more competitive than conference first-round series that routinely sacrifice bottom-feeders to national powers in two-game sweeps.

*Fans get to experience a full "weekend" of hockey, with all the excitement that entails.

*Increases ticket sales--more games means more tickets. May allow teams to sell tickets for cheaper, making single games more accessible to the average fans.

*Potentially provides galvanizing experiences to whole fanbases, a memorable experience that adds to tradition, increases shared memories, and fortifies the fandom of hundreds or thousands. Cornell's visit to Michigan is the obvious example of this--Michigan lost in the quarterfinals that season, but fans still talk about it.

*A 3-game series provides a much larger, predictable data set and makes it more likely that the "better team" will advance.

Disadvantages:

*A 3-game series means that each individual game is slightly less meaningful. An early goal or two by a road underdog still gives the home team a couple of periods, plus two extra games, to recover.

*Home sweeps wind up being more routine, less dramatic, even if the games themselves are exciting.

*Game 3's, the ultimate "win-or-go-home" game, take place on Sunday, often in front of fewer fans.

*Television coverage is difficult, with 8 different series playing games at roughly the same time.

*Upsets are much less likely. As Handyman said, how often would Michigan or North Dakota lose a home series? If the answer is not "never," it's close.

One game win-or-go-home

Advantages:

*It's unquestionably the most important game of the season, every fan and player will experience massive levels of excitement.

*Tickets should be a cinch to sell.

*Dramatic upsets are much more likely

*Scheduling for television is much easier. You can, for example, play 2 or 3 games on Friday, the rest on Saturday, or even a couple on Sunday, and get them on television.

*Easier to find available arena time, even in places with scheduled events, by moving the game around the entire weekend.

*Road team fans may find it easier to travel to one game than a whole series.

Disadvantages:

*Loses some of the "event" feel that regionals and playoff series have by being just one game for a whole weekend.

*Lower volumes of ticket sales make it much closer to the current sales levels of the regionals.

*With fewer ticket sales, harder to recapture the overhead costs.

*"Better" teams more likely to be done in by one bad game. Still less random than at neutral sites, though.

Conclusion
          I think good arguments can be made for both arrangements. I personally prefer the playoff series, but that is partially due to my personal experience of enjoying the 7-game series that you get in the OHL, and this is not the OHL. Shouldn't try to be, either. I also like that it provides a whole weekend of hockey, something to look forward to, for the home teams. But that is available to a lesser extent for one game as well.

Given the evidence, I believe that while I personally prefer the 3-game series, the logistics weight in favor of 1-game home playoffs. If the NCAA goes the 3-game series path, I will not complain.

And for what it's worth, I think the second round should also take place at home sites. No super-regionals.
          Last edited by Caustic Undertow; 03-29-2011, 02:22 PM.
          Jesus Saves

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
            Did you really just compare Chicago and Ft. Wayne?

Maybe you're right. Some folks probably aren't interested in anything more than hockey. :/
            I don't think people are going to choose to go to a regional based on the "destination." Frozen Fours have the extra day to experience the trip, but regionals really are all about hockey. Michigan fans didn't avoid Fort Wayne because it was boring, they avoided it because it was expensive and they had to work on Monday Morning.
            Jesus Saves

Comment

True.

Maybe I was still thinking along the lines of a 3 day regional (going waaaaay back in the thread). Using Alton's method, we have one-day quarterfinals. Not much sightseeing to do when you have a one day event with two games.

But that's the other beauty of the Alton/lax model. You only have to sell tix for one day, and all four teams in the regional are playing with a FF berth on the line. It's not possible to magically make the geography problem disappear, but an Alton-style quarterfinal might be a good start.

Especially if it's in Chicago.
              1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Just as an FYI, the Shillelagh drew 3,580 Friday and 3,545 Saturday (two games per ticket) last year at the Sears Center in Chicago. Now, that is a pre-determined tourney over the holidays, where folks likely planned their vacations around the games.
                Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                ECAC:
                HEA: UMass
                NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by Caustic Undertow View Post
                  Competitively, it is a non-starter. In the World Cup they use this arrangement and allow two teams to advance, and still there are controversial and bizarre tie-breakers every time. Can you imagine, for example, UMD going 2 and 1 but staying home because of goal differential? About the only time tie-breakers wouldn't be required would be when one team went undefeated. Also, as Brian @mgoblog stated, the last day often has unusual competitive scenarios where ties are advantageous for certain teams. The World Cup deals with this by playing the last games simultaneously, which is impossible with one ice surface. This would be worse than the BCS, something that every college hockey fan is happy that we don't have.
                  I agree with you that scheduling fans to show up for three straight days of games is a tough sell, especially if you're hoping they then turn around two weeks later and do it again. However, I think many people would say if I'm going to travel and put down the money to do so, I want to get the most out of it. A guaranteed three game round robin would be appealing to those fans. (I won't get into the scenario when a team loses their first two games and has to play the third game just for show, that would obviously be a con.)

You missed the part of my post where I attempted to remove tie-breaker scenarios that would be based on goal differential or any other kind of subjective method by removing in-game ties. All games would be played until there is a winner, meaning the only tie-breaking between pool teams would be based on head-to-head record, for which there would be a clear winner.
                  Last edited by UMDSimmerdown; 03-29-2011, 04:52 PM.
                  University of Minnesota Duluth Bulldogs
                  2007 Alumni
                  WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1984, 1985, 1993
                  WCHA Tournament Champions: 1984, 1985, 2009
                  NCAA Appearances: 1983, 1984, 1985, 1993, 2004, 2009, 2011
                  Frozen Four Appearances: 1984, 1985, 2004, 2011
                  National Champions: 2011

Comment

Originally posted by UMDSimmerdown View Post
                    All games would be played until there is a winner, meaning the only tie-breaking between pool teams would be based on head-to-head record, for which there would be a clear winner.
                    Except when there would be a three-way tie.
                    Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                    Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                      Except when there would be a three-way tie.
                      nothing more exciting than an entire season brought to drawing lots at center ice.
                      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                      Skating Friar Jersey
                      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                        Just as an FYI, the Shillelagh drew 3,580 Friday and 3,545 Saturday (two games per ticket) last year at the Sears Center in Chicago. Now, that is a pre-determined tourney over the holidays, where folks likely planned their vacations around the games.
                        I know one of the reasons I and others didn't go this year was the difficulty of getting to the arena there. From what I saw on a map, that arena could hardly be called in Chicago. There was no public transportation anywhere near the arena, and is 35+ miles from downtown Chicago.
                        time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          I get why people like best of 3, I especially get why the NCAA would like it but it seems like a major step backwards if you ask me, a desperate ploy to make sure the "right teams" make it so the NCAA maximizes viewers and ticket sales. That is great for them but I guarantee I will tune out. Maybe I am alone on that, but even though my team is the loser in the biggest upset the tourny has seen (at least to that point) I like that. My team should not be rewarded with a second chance just because they had a great season. They won awards for the season they had, the Tourny is separate, they lost they should go home.

I guarantee you go to best of 3 at home sites and the divide between the "Power" and "Non-Power" schools will grow exponentially.

First round home games I can deal with, best of 3 is archaic and just continues to reward a team for a good regular season. Would Michigan ever lose a series at Yost? Would UND lose a series at REA? I think we know the answer to those questions.

edit: I know I said NCAA and make it sound like they are the driving force, that isnt how I meant it.
                          While home ice is a reward that is tough to give, I see no problem with best-of-3... at the end of the year, if you happen to be a better team then one should advance on through... I don't see upsets necessarily as a virtue and hockey is a sport where good teams lose more often... not nearly as bad as baseball, but close. Heck, I've given half thoughts to double-elimination, but I don't think that arena reservations, etc, could handle that.

I don't see necessarily upsets being a virtue of the sport... even then best-of-3 isn't overwhelmingly better than a single game elimination in terms of the ability to separate teams. If you have a 60% chance of winning a game you have a 65% chance of winning a best-of-3.

Fact of the matter is, winning needs to be worth something, it can't be completely random, otherwise what are you proving? As one of the "non-power" schools, I see no problem in this.... i think you risk credibility if RIT manages to find a way to the Frozen Four every 3rd year w/o dominating their schedule.
                          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                          Skating Friar Jersey
                          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
                            I know one of the reasons I and others didn't go this year was the difficulty of getting to the arena there. From what I saw on a map, that arena could hardly be called in Chicago. There was no public transportation anywhere near the arena, and is 35+ miles from downtown Chicago.
                            You missed out then. Metra, the heavy rail commuter line goes to Elgin and can get you to within 4 miles and I'm 90% sure you can take Pace, the Chicago area bus service to the Sears Center from there (I know Pace operates out of Elgin, but I've neer looked into getting from there to the rink)...

AHA:
                            ECAC:

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                              You missed out then. Metra, the heavy rail commuter line goes to Elgin and can get you to within 4 miles and I'm 90% sure you can take Pace, the Chicago area bus service to the Sears Center from there (I know Pace operates out of Elgin, but I've neer looked into getting from there to the rink)...
                              Point is still, this is not really "easy" by any means to get to from chicago, and I doubt many people will want to be staying in bustling Hoffman Estates. The point of hosting a regional in Chicago would be to host it in Chicago in a venue appropriately sized for a regional.
                              time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
                                Point is still, this is not really "easy" by any means to get to from chicago, and I doubt many people will want to be staying in bustling Hoffman Estates. The point of hosting a regional in Chicago would be to host it in Chicago in a venue appropriately sized for a regional.
                                Gotta love folks from out east that want public transit to pick them up at their hotel and drop them off at the front door of where they're going. Really, the transit I described isn't rocket science (or rocket engineering as my Huntsville-area friend apparently would prefer )

Honestly, I never suggested Chicago for a regional - Rover did, and asked if there were rinks besides the United Center that it could be held in, and I supplied 4 alternatives, with no comment at all to their viability. You then said the Sears Center had "no public transportation anywhere near the arena," and I showed that you were wrong. Truth be told, I'd rather see Chicago and the United Center host a Frozen Four, but if it were to hold a regional, there are certainly worse western venues (Ft. Wayne, St. Louis to name a couple) out there than the Sears Center (or UIC Pavilion), IMHO.

edit - FYI, I grew up outside Chicago in Downers Grove, so know the area and would love to see the FF there so I could go, see friends and family and maybe catch Cubs opening day...
                                Last edited by moose97; 03-29-2011, 08:59 PM.

AHA:
                                ECAC:

Comment

Working...
                                X