X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lindenwood University (St. Charles, MO) moves to NCAA starting in 2011

View the release here

Highlights:
    Lindenwood is promoting all of it's athletic programs to the NCAA level and this will be the first of a two year candidacy period before being granted full NCAA membership for Women's Hockey.

The Lions will play as an Independent in Women's Hockey for at least the 2011-2012 season.

Home Ice for the Lions is the 750 seat Lindenwood University Ice Arena

The only coach Lindenwood women’s hockey has known, Vince O’Mara will be responsible to lead the women’s hockey program to NCAA status. O’Mara just completed his 14th year coaching women’s hockey.

The Lady Lions began the program in 2003-04 and have qualified for the national tournament in all eight years of their existence. During this time the program has won four national titles, a runner up finish and most recently a third place finish. Lindenwood has also captured three league titles in the Central Collegiate Women’s Hockey Association (CCWHA).
    The WCHA Dynasty
    Wisconsin
    National Championships: 2011,2009,2007,2006; Runners Up: 2012, 2008
    MOP Winners: Bauer (07), Duggan (11), Knight (11), Vetter (06, 09)

Minnesota
    National Championships: 2012, 2005, 2004, 2000 (AWCHA); Runners Up: 2006
    MOP Winners: Darwitz (05), Killewald (00), Raty(12), Wendell (04)

Minnesota-Duluth
    National Championships: 2010, 2008, 2003, 2002, 2001; Runners Up: 2007
    MOP Winners: Blais (10), Martin (08), Ouellette (03), Rooth (01)

Re: Lindenwood University (St. Charles, MO) moves to NCAA starting in 2011

From the release:
    “Lindenwood is excited to elevate its women’s ice hockey program to NCAA status,” said Athletic Director John Creer. “The women’s team has already established a winning tradition in the ACHA and we now look forward to future success in the NCAA at the DI level of play.”
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Good luck getting any home games. Hope they have an enormous travel budget

Comment

I think the only tean that MIGHT thrvel to there is Mankato
        haters gonna hate

Comment

Originally posted by LadyFalconsFan View Post
          I think the only tean that MIGHT thrvel to there is Mankato
          It's closer to all the WCHA schools than The Ohio.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
            It's closer to all the WCHA schools than The Ohio.
            but they are stuck going to a conference foe. don't see them ponying up to send their team on a flight or 9 hour bus trip to play a first year program for a non conference game when they could take a flight and play better more established teams.

Comment

Here's Lindenwood's announcement from this past summer: http://www.lindenwoodlions.com/news/...712102241.aspx

So they did actually first announce this last summer, not yesterday, though I admit I was unaware until this BTD story.

Since Lindenwood is moving from NAIA to D-II, they have no choice but to compete at the National Collegiate (e.g. D-I level), like St. Michael's or St. Anselm or UMD or any of the other D-II schools competing in college hockey.

Comment

I checked their website and the schedule of games they played last year. Looks like they will have no problem competing at DI level as last season they had victories over Penn State, Ohio State, Minnesota and Wisconsin. Also pretty much the whole state of Michigan: UofMichigan, Michigan State, Northern Michigan, Western Michigan with Grand Valley thrown in for good measure.

Yup, DI should be no problem for them.
                Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

On a more serious note, many of the players on the posted roster are Canadian, mostly western Canada: several Alberta, a couple from BC, so pretty clearly they will at least recognize hockey when they see it. They have been good at their level and as far as I am concerned they are a welcome addition. It will be interesting to see what their schedule ends up looking like.

Good luck to the Lions.
                  Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
                    Since Lindenwood is moving from NAIA to D-II, they have no choice but to compete at the National Collegiate (e.g. D-I level), like St. Michael's or St. Anselm or UMD or any of the other D-II schools competing in college hockey.
                    And therein lies the question -- do they intend to "compete" at the National Collegiate level or join St. Michael's and St. Anselm and crew in playing in the postseason tournament for schools that play D-III schedules but aren't eligible for the D-III tournament? If the former, then maybe they eventually become the 6th team that the CHA has long coveted, though the location may not be what those programs had in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                      I checked their website and the schedule of games they played last year. Looks like they will have no problem competing at DI level as last season they had victories over Penn State, Ohio State, Minnesota and Wisconsin. Also pretty much the whole state of Michigan: UofMichigan, Michigan State, Northern Michigan, Western Michigan with Grand Valley thrown in for good measure.

Yup, DI should be no problem for them.
                      You do realize that those were the club teams and not the varsity teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeydad4two View Post
                        You do realize that those were the club teams and not the varsity teams.
                        Given he started his next post with "On a more serious note" and he included Penn St, U of MI, MI St, Northern, and Western, I'd say MBTC is fully cognizant of that fact.

Comment

This team will struggle no matter what division they are going to.

Also the sooner the powers to be at Lindenwood figure out that 2 of their players are from Dryden, Ontario and not Drydon, Ontario as listed... the sooner they will gain credibility in their recruiting efforts.

Yup...I'm from Drydon and I'm going to Lyndenwood to get me a degree...

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
                            Also the sooner the powers to be at Lindenwood figure out that 2 of their players are from Dryden, Ontario and not Drydon, Ontario as listed... the sooner they will gain credibility in their recruiting efforts.
                            Reminds me of the mistake on Wisconsin's roster as shown on USCHO:

19.......Breann Frykas......F.......So......5-4.........East St. Paul, Minn.......Detroit Little Caesar's

(maybe if she is indeed transferring to Mercyhurst they can get it right for next year)
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

http://www.lindenwoodlions.com/custo...1/10luwi24.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X