X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ralph Nader calls for ending athletic scholarships

Ralph Nader calls for ending athletic scholarships

By FREDERIC J. FROMMER, Associated Press

WASHINGTON – Consumer advocate Ralph Nader is calling for the elimination of college athletic scholarships, saying the move is necessary to "de-professionalize" college athletes.

"As we near the exciting conclusion of `March Madness' — which would more accurately be described as the 2011 NCAA Professional Basketball Championships — it's time we step back and finally address the myth of amateurism surrounding big-time college football and basketball in this country," said Nader, whose League of Fans is proposing that the scholarships be replaced with need-based financial aid. The Associated Press obtained a copy of the proposal Thursday, ahead of its official release.

NCAA spokesman Bob Williams said referring to college athletes as professionals defies logic.

"They are students, just like any other student on campus who receives a merit-based scholarship," he said

Nader, a former presidential candidate, argued that his plan would also help reduce the "win-at-all-costs" mentality in high schools, by reducing the incentive of college scholarships.

"An entire industry has developed in the youth sports arena — club teams, personal trainers, etc. — to prey on families' dreams of an athletic scholarship," he said. "The lure of the elusive athletic scholarship is the primary — sometimes the only — marketing tool these youth sports entrepreneurs use."

He said he would try to gin up support for his proposal from university presidents, Capitol Hill and the Education Department.

"We'll use all the levers," Nader said. "We'll use the parents of athletes who've been mistreated and sick, and forced to play when they're injured."

Nader added that he hadn't yet canvassed Capitol Hill, but figured he'd find lawmakers who are concerned about the way college athletes are treated.

He noted that the Drake Group, a college athletic watchdog organization, has come out in favor of banning athletic scholarships.

Nader said that colleges should either integrate athletics into the educational mission by eliminating college scholarships, or, "openly acknowledge the professionalism in big-time college sports, remove the tax-exempt status currently given to athletic departments, and make universities operate them as unrelated businesses."

The longtime former head of the NCAA, Walter Byers, has called for paying college athletes.

Nader said his proposal was the opening initiative of a rejuvenated League of Fans, a sports reform group that has been dormant for some time.
    Perhaps a better topic for after the FF, but this came out today.
    Larry Normandin
    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Re: Ralph Nader calls for ending athletic scholarships

Too bad not one college team has a nickname of "Corvairs".
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

He'd probably deem the college "unsafe at any competition".
      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Good luck with that, Ralph...
        LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Ralph who

Comment

Back in The Day,Nadar had a thing or two to say,but all he's done in the past 12 years is to grandstand.

Comment

Division III doesn't have athletic scholarships?
              I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
                Division III doesn't have athletic scholarships?
                DIII is innocent
                Adrian College Bulldogs!
                MCHA Champs & Harris Cup Champions: 2008, '09, '10, '11
                NCAA Tournament: 2010, '11

AC '09

Comment

Originally posted by AC09 View Post
                  DIII is innocent
                  I'm just failing to see the relevance here. Not only is it irrelevant to Division III, it's also coming from Ralph Nader which makes it a doubly whammy in terms of irrelevant vapidness.

Unless of course I'm missing something.

Comment

I'm just failing to see the relevance here. Not only is it irrelevant to Division III, it's also coming from Ralph Nader which makes it a doubly whammy in terms of irrelevant vapidness.

Unless of course I'm missing something.
                    It is irrelevant to DIII. But it at least provides a topic of discussion post-FF
                    Adrian College Bulldogs!

AC '09

Comment

It is irrelevant to DIII. But it at least provides a topic of discussion post-FF
                      Not really. It's Ralph Nader. Just another meager attempt to grab attention by utilizing the same tactics employed by your typical sophomore year sociology major who has been inspired to fight the shackles of humanity that have constrained his mind for 19 years. Only difference between most of them and Nader is that they grew up, graduated and got a real job. Somehow that part passed him by. Yawn.

Comment

Not really. It's Ralph Nader. Just another meager attempt to grab attention by utilizing the same tactics employed by your typical sophomore year sociology major who has been inspired to fight the shackles of humanity that have constrained his mind for 19 years. Only difference between most of them and Nader is that they grew up, graduated and got a real job. Somehow that part passed him by. Yawn.
                        Touche. I myself am trying to find a real job. In the meantime, I am playing the part of some bloke having nothing better to do than stay up lurking the forum and watching re-runs of Star Trek
                        Adrian College Bulldogs!

AC '09

Comment

Touche. I myself am trying to find a real job. In the meantime, I am playing the part of some bloke having nothing better to do than stay up lurking the forum and watching re-runs of Star Trek
                          I'll trade you. Feel like being a part-time bloke up late updating a poorly put together (for now) website while I kick back and watch TV? Since I mentioned it...new Frozen Four material is up at www.d3westhockey.com and if our calculations are correct, all barrels are loaded for tomorrow.

Comment

I'll trade you. Feel like being a part-time bloke up late updating a poorly put together (for now) website while I kick back and watch TV? Since I mentioned it...new Frozen Four material is up at www.d3westhockey.com and if our calculations are correct, all barrels are loaded for tomorrow.
                            Hah! I've been waiting for the links to be active! And I assure you it is not poorly put together! It's been progressively better as the season has worn on.
                            Adrian College Bulldogs!

AC '09

Comment

Hah! I've been waiting for the links to be active! And I assure you it is not poorly put together! It's been progressively better as the season has worn on.
                              Oh, trust me...it's poorly put together. It's tabled out which is a joke these days. But on short notice it at least has proven a viable platform to get decent content put out with, which is something no one else seems to have an interest in. The layout, etc. can all get dealt with in the offseason....

Comment

Working...
                              X