Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Ten Hockey Conference Pt III - Revenge of the Sith.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Ten Hockey Conference Pt III - Revenge of the Sith.

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
    Jim Roque of LSSU makes a great point about attendance at LSSU. He said that they will be losing two games a year that contribute to their attendance. So on that end they are fine.
    And they aren't "losing" two games a year, they are replacing those two games with two other games that will draw slightly smaller crowds (they had MSU in and got 2700 and 3300 compared to their average of 2100). So, over the course of the season, they'll draw 30,000 fans instead of the 32,000 they ended up with this past year. A decent impact (6% loss), but not catastrophic.

Unfortunately he doesn't mention how much they receive from the CCHA tournament.
    From when BSU and UNO were on the move, the discussion was that the CCHA Tourney provided a 4 figure (i.e. less than $10,000) return for the conference tourney while the WCHA provided a 6 figure (around $100,000) return.
    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
    B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
    CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
    ECAC:
    HEA: UMass
    NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
    Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      Wow...seriously the Michigan schools should be doing a happy dance The Ugly Helmets and their little sister are leaving. Sounds to me they will do better as a MAC like conference than they do as the CCHA.
      Plus, the CCHA just goes back to what it was before Notre Dame and Miami started trying. Two good teams and a bunch of others.
      the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
        And they aren't "losing" two games a year, they are replacing those two games with two other games that will draw slightly smaller crowds (they had MSU in and got 2700 and 3300 compared to their average of 2100). So, over the course of the season, they'll draw 30,000 fans instead of the 32,000 they ended up with this past year. A decent impact (6% loss), but not catastrophic.
        Yes. That is what I meant.
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
          Plus, the CCHA just goes back to what it was before Notre Dame and Miami started trying. Two good teams and a bunch of others.
          Yep...only my guess is Miami and Notre Dame will not be the arrogant *****s that Red and Co. were when it comes to scheduling and the like. Plus it is easier to recruit against those schools as opposed to Michigan. I think the CCHA coaches have the right idea in what they are saying here and things will be more competitive overall.

Seriously...dont let Brent read this
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post

From when BSU and UNO were on the move, the discussion was that the CCHA Tourney provided a 4 figure (i.e. less than $10,000) return for the conference tourney while the WCHA provided a 6 figure (around $100,000) return.
            Moose,

I just want to say, the last few years you have been one of the few level headed people on this side of the board and I really enjoy your posts. (especially the ones I dont agree with so that tells you something)

I cannot believe how bad the CCHA teams were taking it in the tailpipe as opposed to the WCHA teams.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Now my only grudge against the Big Ten (besides being the big boys) is that we are losing many great WCHA and CCHA rivalries. I will miss the Final Five in its current format. But I still will enjoy it come 2014.
              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Now my only grudge against the Big Ten (besides being the big boys) is that we are losing many great WCHA and CCHA rivalries. I will miss the Final Five in its current format. But I still will enjoy it come 2014.
                UMD is one of the 2 teams I want the Gophs to schedule for sure. (with UND) Let the other teams join us in a Minnesota cup or something but UMD needs to stick IMHO. (and it should, travel is cheap and the rivalry is great and you have a new arena...etc)
                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Jim Roque of LSSU makes a great point about attendance at LSSU. He said that they will be losing two games a year that contribute to their attendance. So on that end they are fine. Unfortunately he doesn't mention how much they receive from the CCHA tournament.

I don't think when it is said and done the doom and gloom will be as bad as people think now.
                  I was saying that months ago..... Also, if the scheduling deal is true my points about it not being that easy to have a good schedule with that many open dates looks to be true as well.
                  I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                    I was saying that months ago..... Also, if the scheduling deal is true my points about it not being that easy to have a good schedule with that many open dates looks to be true as well.
                    Seriously, I dont think you have to worry about Minnesota...it will get worked out the money is just too perfect. Beyond the good PR for it the amount you save busing to SCSU over flying somewhere else is too good for the cheapskates at the U to pass up.

Follow the dollar...that is why UND will still be on the schedule despite being the Sioux
                    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      UMD is one of the 2 teams I want the Gophs to schedule for sure. (with UND) Let the other teams join us in a Minnesota cup or something but UMD needs to stick IMHO. (and it should, travel is cheap and the rivalry is great and you have a new arena...etc)
                      Let us hope that they do that. I feel there is a good chance that will occur.
                      tUMD Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        This is my favorite part. This is the same network that left an in progress hockey game to go to a basketball press conference. While they did that they provided NO UPDATES to the hockey game that was in progress.
                        Scooby, hockey coverage on the BTN was in its infancy then and for practical matters still is. I have to believe that with an influx of games to cover a few seasons from now that they will do more to improve their coverage and commitment. Perhaps never to our liking, but people biotch now about FSN so it won't be any different.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          Scooby, hockey coverage on the BTN was in its infancy then and for practical matters still is. I have to believe that with an influx of games to cover a few seasons from now that they will do more to improve their coverage and commitment. Perhaps never to our liking, but people biotch now about FSN so it won't be any different.
                          The Big Ten has been getting a pretty big stiffy over their recent success with bounceyball. Don't be surprised if hockey gets pre-empted by Northwestern-Iowa hoops.

Also of note: Granted, there is some money available via the B10 Network; didn't each of these schools have their own TV contracts? (MN with FSN, WI with FSW, etc.) Probably going to suck for Goldy fans when some hoser at the B10 Network decides that they'd rather air Michigan-Ohio State rather than Minnesota-Wisconsin.

I can hear the whining already.
                          Bruce Ciskie > PA

Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.

Blizzard Drinking: Duluth's Answer to Gulf Coast Hurricane Parties

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                            HA! That would make things nice and confusing. Two MSUM's. Fantastic. The rebranding over a decade ago will end up having zero effect, seeming people will be forced to say just Moorhead or Mankato.
                            Cause it won't be Moorhead anymore...it'll be The Northern Minnesota University or something like that.
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Plante26 View Post
                              I can hear the whining already.
                              Which would Shirley be less were we speaking of fans of any other program in the same position.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                                Which would Shirley be less were we speaking of fans of any other program in the same position.
                                Coming from a fan who rarely gets to see his squad on TV: Yes. Much less. Stupid MFing DishNetwork doesn't carry the local digital channels.

I find the Big Ten situation ironic because the new conference is hyped as expanding college hockey's exposure, when in reality it will be playing second fiddle to Big Ten bounceyball. The big move will also only allow the broadcast of one or two of the member schools at a time--a big shift from Minnesota and Wisconsin ALWAYS being broadcast, and the Michigan schools usually being on-the-air. So much for increased exposure.

Unless they're going to come out with The Big 10.2 Network, hockey will take a back seat to numerous other sports. The WCHA will be made up of hockey-centric schools. Win.
                                Last edited by Plante26; 03-24-2011, 05:36 PM.
                                Bruce Ciskie > PA

Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.

Blizzard Drinking: Duluth's Answer to Gulf Coast Hurricane Parties

Comment

Working...
                                X