Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Ten Hockey Conference Pt III - Revenge of the Sith.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Ten Hockey Conference Pt III - Revenge of the Sith.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    I can promise you that the Cedar Rapids arena will not ever be used for a D-I program at Iowa, should they ever start one.

1) Too small
    2) Not very close to campus at all.
    You're right. But I never intended to indicate it would be used for D1, only that it is currently being used on a semi-regular basis by the Hawkeye hockey squad which demonstrates they have core loyal fanbase. The marketing demographics would favor the University of Iowa investigating a D1 program at some time in the future after the B1G launch.

I've always enjoyed your witty posts EODS.

Comment

Originally posted by waterlover View Post
      Jup is wrong, Frank is right. Since the Big Ten doesn't currently have a conference, how can they own the "rights" to games that aren't under their control? Part of the Big Ten's frustration with the WCHA and CCHA has been their inability to negotiate more games for the B10 Network. Well, its less about negotiation and more about "take", the B10 wanted the content for almost nothing since they view MN, WI, MI, MSU and OSU as "their schools". (they are but the hockey games aren't/weren't) The WCHA was more than willing to let them pay for the games they wanted, they just weren't going to let them pay LESS than FSN was already paying. The College Hockey Showcase was usually on (at least a 2 games) the B10 because the WCHA and CCHA didn't own the rights being it was non-conference.
      Sorry waterlover but I am going to trust Jup on this one. I trust his sources know what they are talking about Plus the WCHA has no say in who broadcasts Gopher Games I would think seeing as the Gophers control the broadcast rights.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by waterlover View Post
        Jup is wrong, Frank is right. Since the Big Ten doesn't currently have a conference, how can they own the "rights" to games that aren't under their control? Part of the Big Ten's frustration with the WCHA and CCHA has been their inability to negotiate more games for the B10 Network. Well, its less about negotiation and more about "take", the B10 wanted the content for almost nothing since they view MN, WI, MI, MSU and OSU as "their schools". (they are but the hockey games aren't/weren't) The WCHA was more than willing to let them pay for the games they wanted, they just weren't going to let them pay LESS than FSN was already paying. The College Hockey Showcase was usually on (at least a 2 games) the B10 because the WCHA and CCHA didn't own the rights being it was non-conference.
        Actually, even though their was not a B1G conference for hockey, all the member schools signed over all the rights to athletic events to the conference with the formation of the BTN.

The CHS was on the BTN because is included 2 of the B1G schools and with football not having any night games in November they had the opportunity to "test" how hockey would air on the network.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
          The marketing demographics would favor the University of Iowa investigating a D1 program at some time in the future after the B1G launch.
          The issue will be the upfront capital costs of constructing an appropriate arena near campus. They just don't have the funds, in fact they are still recovering from 2008 floods as some campus structures have not been reopened or replaced.

It would be at least 10-15 years before that would seriously be considered, and even then, I suspect that it would take a major donor to kickstart an actual move towards starting the programs.

Comment

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...add-ice-hockey

Purdue and Indiana currently have no plans of adding men's or women's hockey. Not even on their radar. Not really a suprise.
            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
              I wouldn't think that St. Cloud or UMD will be involved, but I have no info on that. There's a chance that the proposed league has already had a meeting.

Supposedly the proposed league would have a scheduling agreement with Hockey East. That frees up the Minnesota & Michigan schools to play the BTHC.

How would Miami pay for all this travel? One would assume the playoff revenues would be significantly higher than the CCHA. Miami has more endowed hockey scholies than most other schools. They have a brand new arena. They gave Enrico a fat raise. They have the money if they need to make hockey more high profile.

Chambers thinks the six schools would be UNO, DU, CC, Miami, ND & UND.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/sports/2...k-by-me/16229/
              I don't think any new 'power conference' is a very good idea. This isn't just about today's PWR.

This is about money. Money is about rivals fans want to see and recruiting. Do you think UND fans are going to turn out for Miami (for example)? And how do you think Miami will recruit without Michigan or Minnesota fans ever seeing them?

Regardless, if this hypothetical conference happens without Minnesota schools...I would see very little exposure in Minnesota for Colorado teams as the state's dance card will be filled. The Gophers probably would probably as interested in filling its nonconf schedule with instate rivals as they would be with the Gophers. Losing MN and WI to the big ten is somewhat risky...why would the remaining WCHA entirely throw the baby out with the bath?

Me thinks the current WCHA less WI and MN would be best for its current teams.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                The issue will be the upfront capital costs of constructing an appropriate arena near campus. They just don't have the funds, in fact they are still recovering from 2008 floods as some campus structures have not been reopened or replaced.

It would be at least 10-15 years before that would seriously be considered, and even then, I suspect that it would take a major donor to kickstart an actual move towards starting the programs.
                I think other Big Ten schools that have reasonable potential to begin a D1 like the University of Iowa will be observing closely the B1G/BTN revenue stream to weigh their options after 2013-14. But as I indicated it will take a couple years before a valid quantitative research assessment is available. It's anybodies guess as to "when", but once the BTHC is deemed a successful financial endeavor, there are enough hockey enthusiasts/entrepreneurs/venture capitalists throughout the State of Iowa to get behind a new ice arena near the UI campus.

If the city council in a much smaller hockey market like Sioux City, Iowa found the private and public capital investment to construct the IBP Ice Center in addition to the multi-million dollar Tyson Events Center, there's absolutely no reason Iowa City with a more burgeoning hockey market and student population can't as well.

You're right, the damage to the UI campus was extensive, and estimates on the total damage will probably total $1 billion when it's all over. By comparison, Hurricane Katrina in 2005 caused about $1 billion in damage to eight college and universities campuses in or near New Orleans.

As far as the post-flood rebuilding projects at the University of Iowa are concerned, FEMA has agreed to subsidize 90% of the restoration which will most likely be completed within the next two years, including current FEMA/UI negotiations on the relocation of the Museum of Art:

Several other major UI buildings damaged by the flood will be eligible for FEMA financing for restoration and mitigation strategies to prevent damage from future flooding. Those include Art Building West, Iowa Advanced Technology Laboratories, Theatre Building, the Iowa Memorial Union, the Museum of Art building, Hawkeye Court Apartments, and the UI power plant and energy distribution systems.

For the Hancher/Voxman/Clapp and Art Building East complexes, FEMA will finance 90 percent of the cost for replacement or 90 percent of the cost of in-place restoration for like kind and quality of damaged buildings and mitigation, Senior Vice President Doug True said. For the other buildings, FEMA will provide 90 percent of the cost of in-place restoration for like kind and quality of damaged buildings and mitigation only.

The partnership between the UI and FEMA will continue as replacement and restoration projects proceed, UI officials added. FEMA must review and approve all of those plans to address environmental, historic preservation, and flood mitigation concerns.
                Last edited by HarleyMC; 03-28-2011, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                  http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...add-ice-hockey

Purdue and Indiana currently have no plans of adding men's or women's hockey. Not even on their radar. Not really a suprise.
                  What? You mean mighty Alverez was wrong? *gasp* [/sarcasm]

Yup. It really sad this was shoved along with the thought other schools would add hockey. Not going to happen. I'm still stunned Penn State was the one to add. But all it takes is one huge donation. If I was a billionaire, maybe I'd pony up enough cash for another program just to see what happens with it.

Comment

Big Ten is irrelevant. It's the Little Six, also the name of a Bingo Palace in Shakopee, MN>
                    Bob is making me concerned
                    I am the voice of reason

Comment

Son, we live in a world that has doesn't care about college hockey and that situation needs to be changed by men with a television network. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Bemidji State? Jim Delaney has a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for the CCHA and curse The Big Ten; you have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that the CCHA's death, while tragic, probably saves college hockey and that the Big Ten Network's existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves college hockey. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about in 3000 seat arenas you want the BTHC on that network, you need it on that network. We use words like market share, cable networks and conference brand. We use them as the backbone of a life trying to build the greatest collection of public universities in the country. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to men who rise and sleep under the blanket of nationwide hockey coverage that we will provide and then question the manner in which we will provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you," and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest that you pick up a mouse and ignore my posts. Either way, I don't give a **** what you think Miami of Ohio is entitled to.

Comment

You understand Colonel Jessup was the bad guy in that movie, right?

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                          I think other Big Ten schools that have reasonable potential to begin a D1 like the University of Iowa will be observing closely the B1G/BTN revenue stream to weigh their options after 2013-14. But as I indicated it will take a couple years before a valid quantitative research assessment is available. It's anybodies guess as to "when", but once the BTHC is deemed a successful financial endeavor, there are enough hockey enthusiasts/entrepreneurs/venture capitalists throughout the State of Iowa to get behind a new ice arena near the UI campus.

If the city council in a much smaller hockey market like Sioux City, Iowa found the private and public capital investment to construct the IBP Ice Center in addition to the multi-million dollar Tyson Events Center, there's absolutely no reason Iowa City with a more burgeoning hockey market and student population can't as well.

You're right, the damage to the UI campus was extensive, and estimates on the total damage will probably total $1 billion when it's all over. By comparison, Hurricane Katrina in 2005 caused about $1 billion in damage to eight college and universities campuses in or near New Orleans.

As far as the post-flood rebuilding projects at the University of Iowa are concerned, FEMA has agreed to subsidize 90% of the restoration which will most likely be completed within the next two years, including current FEMA/UI negotiations on the relocation of the Museum of Art:
                          Except that the BTN revenue isn't broken up by sport with each school getting an equal cut. Even if the conference tournament is a smashing success, I don't see each schools cut being much more then a few hundred thousand; no advantage to a school/AD adding ~$2M/year in operations cost (men's AND women's combined, Title IX compliance) that will not generate additional revenue equal to that amount.

I'm not sure that their is a need for a new multi-million dollar events center in IC, the university itself already has access to those types of facilities should they be needed and with Cedar Rapids only 1/2 hour away (also where the airport is) I'm not sure that the demand exists for a facility in the Iowa City/Coralville area outside of the University.

We get back to the point where you have a donor give to either make a capital investment for hockey (PSU) or one to build a new basketball facility that will also have ice making capability (OSU, UW) but that would have the same problem as OSU playing in front of 3-6k fans in a 15-20k arena. An independent hockey facility would be the way to go, but the cost would be prohibitive PLUS it would be way down the priority list.

I do not believe that the formation of the BTHC is going to be enough to move other programs towards adding hockey. I just don't see any of the other 6 schools being able to build cost neutral programs in a reasonable period of time. I don't believe that the revenue will exist or that the start-up costs can be overcome without a significant, directed donation towards that goal.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                            He's a trolling Walmart Buckeye. They tend not to understand anything that isn't spoken directly out of Tressel's mouth. He's probably still giggling about how his school's president cracks jokes about how their 10.1a penalized head football coach will fire him instead of the other way around like the other 27 cases.
                            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                              Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                              He's a trolling Walmart Buckeye. They tend not to understand anything that isn't spoken directly out of Tressel's mouth. He's probably still giggling about how his school's president cracks jokes about how their 10.1a penalized head football coach will fire him instead of the other way around like the other 27 cases.
                              Maybe so, but you have to admit it's a pretty funny parody.
                              Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                                Maybe so, but you have to admit it's a pretty funny parody.
                                From a Big Ten viewpoint it is.

Otherwise, comes across as exactly like the movie: arrogant and egotistical with a good measure of self-righteousness.

Comment

Working...
                                X