No announcement yet.

The First College Hockey iPhone App!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The First College Hockey iPhone App!

This APP is SICK!!!! Overdue. Live scoreboard? A dream come true.
    http://www.sports-casters.com

http://www.twitter.com/sports_casters

thesportscasters@gmail.com

Comment

Is there a DROID version?

Comment

Originally posted by cowbellguy View Post
        We're pleased to announce the availability of the first D1 College Hockey iPhone (and iPod Touch) app. Full schedules, scores, live scoreboard, news, league standings, and pairwise rankings, with more to come. And it's completely free!

Get it now from the App Store!
        I realize that we're a small minority these days, but it would be nice if it were compatible with iOS 3.1 for those of us still on older devices.

Comment

Wahoo, awesome!
          Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Comment

I have to assume that the system crashed since I haven't been able to get scores/schedules since early yesterday.
            Originally posted by mookie1995
            bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
            Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
            Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

I just downloaded the app onto my vzw iphone4 with ios 4.2.6. I have not been seeing the crashing issues upon launch that some others are seeing with iOS versions prior to 4.3. Great App! I wish I had this earlier in the season. ESPN Scorecenter's college hockey score board is terrible. This app is much better. Thanks!

Comment

Alright I've spent about a day with this now and I have to say it's great... Couple of things...

It's pretty traditional for free iPhone apps with adds to also be accompanied by a 99 cent *pro* version that removes those adds, would that be an option here? I'd easily pony up the dollar and you could make some money!

Also, the scores page should have a refresh button (though I've noticed it auto-refreshes from time to time) and maybe an option to set how often it auto-refreshes.

The scoreboard is very up to the minute and assuming it stays this way for the regular season next year (it must be a bit easier to keep the scores at this point when there are rarely even two games at the same time) it would easily be the BEST way ever to get college hockey scores online OR on a phone.

Additionally it would be nice in the future if pressing the individual games brought up a box score or something like that instead of just highlighting the game... just a thought.

Thanks for this great app!
                Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

Comment

No plans for a paid version at this point. I specifically didn't include a refresh button for the score page to keep people from pounding it. It refreshes every minute, which should be faster than updates are likely to come in anyway. There is a game detail view in the works but didn't get done in time to make it into the first release. I may add an option to set how often the scoreboard updates, but the payload (and really all data sent to the phone) is as tiny as I can make it (on the order of bytes for the scores) so it should be fast and a minuscule impact on data.

The server hasn't gone down, but I have noticed that if the update gets interrupted mid-stream it may not show all the information until the app is restarted (double click the home button from the dashboard, hold on the icon in the app switcher, then click he minus sign). It's supposed to account for that, but obviously there's still an issue I need to look at.
                  CHN iPhone App
                  ELynah.com

"Any time you were fortunate enough to catch Montreal playing badly, Dryden stopped you anyway."
                  -Harry Sinden, Boston Bruins GM

Comment

Oh yeah, and about the updates, due to NCAA regs, staff is doing score updates for the tournament. During the regular season, score information is provided by the individual schools, and the frequency of updates will obviously vary, but they're generally pretty good. There are still a few schools that aren't participating, but hopefully that will change. If not, we'll try to fill in the blanks.
                    CHN iPhone App
                    ELynah.com

"Any time you were fortunate enough to catch Montreal playing badly, Dryden stopped you anyway."

Comment

Originally posted by cowbellguy View Post
                      No plans for a paid version at this point. I specifically didn't include a refresh button for the score page to keep people from pounding it. It refreshes every minute, which should be faster than updates are likely to come in anyway. There is a game detail view in the works but didn't get done in time to make it into the first release. I may add an option to set how often the scoreboard updates, but the payload (and really all data sent to the phone) is as tiny as I can make it (on the order of bytes for the scores) so it should be fast and a minuscule impact on data.

The server hasn't gone down, but I have noticed that if the update gets interrupted mid-stream it may not show all the information until the app is restarted (double click the home button from the dashboard, hold on the icon in the app switcher, then click he minus sign). It's supposed to account for that, but obviously there's still an issue I need to look at.
                      Interesting about the refresh button... does it damage the app or the information payload for people to be mashing it? I guess from as aesthetic point of view it's just nice to have, I'll admit during tense situations I find myself mashing a lot of refresh buttons during March Madness and the NHL playoffs.

Noticed the interruption as well, the screen kind of goes to all white and you have to restart the app, like you said. This is the kind of time I would look towards the refresh button... though I'm not sure that would actually help in this circumstance.

Game detail would be awesome, completely understandable it's not ready yet and great that you put out some app anyway for the tournament.

Also the favorite team function is great.
                      Let's go Terriers!

Comment

Originally posted by quiddlet View Post
                        Interesting about the refresh button... does it damage the app or the information payload for people to be mashing it?
                        Not necessarily. Just looking to limit unnecessary load on the server.
                        CHN iPhone App
                        ELynah.com

Comment

Could you add notifications in a future release? Such as setting a favorite team and receiving notification when a game is about to start, when a goal is scored, end of periods, end of game.

Comment

Notifications are definitely on my to-do list.
                            CHN iPhone App
                            ELynah.com

Comment

Im trying to load it to my IPod Touch (looks sweet). It goes to the CHN Rink and then switches back to my menu screen. It's possible that it could be on my end, but I thought I would let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by RonWolf View Post
                                Im trying to load it to my IPod Touch (looks sweet). It goes to the CHN Rink and then switches back to my menu screen. It's possible that it could be on my end, but I thought I would let you know.
                                You're almost definitely running something older than iOS 4.3. There's an update to fix that problem that should hopefully be approved before next weekend.
                                CHN iPhone App
                                ELynah.com

Comment

Working...
                                X