State of Hockey-Colorado?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: State of Hockey-Colorado?

Minnesota, Michigan, Massachusetts,and New York are the premier states for developing hockey players. They have the most developed youth programs with great history of developing high end talent. The order tends to shift around. Hockey is big in upstate New York, that one may surprise some. Canada is still the Mecca, but there is a great deal of home grown talent in the USA. It's great to see the Colorado schools doing well in the NCAA, but lets not get carried away.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      I see two levels, youth and NHL, but what's the third?

Couldn't be college with all those empty seats at the Mooch...
      What? No outrage from UMD for that comment? Hmm... I'm a little disappointed about that.

Originally posted by achybreaky View Post
      Come back when Minnesota gets all their teams in the tournament.
      That would be interesting to see since there is virtually no way the NCAA could avoid intra-conference first round matchups without destroying bracket integrity.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
        What? No outrage from UMD for that comment? Hmm... I'm a little disappointed about that.
        The seats are already empty at AmSoil, so they can't really become outraged.
        Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Bronzebacks View Post
          Minnesota, Michigan, Massachusetts,and New York are the premier states for developing hockey players. They have the most developed youth programs with great history of developing high end talent. The order tends to shift around. Hockey is big in upstate New York, that one may surprise some. Canada is still the Mecca, but there is a great deal of home grown talent in the USA. It's great to see the Colorado schools doing well in the NCAA, but lets not get carried away.
          Colorado is starting to come around at the youth level -- it's really growing here, and the talent pool is following. Witness just last year, when the Colorado Thunderbirds won the Midget AAA national championship. High school hockey isn't nearly as developed as it is in New England, upstate NY, or Minnesota, but it's finally sponsored by CHSAA, which wasn't the case 5 years ago. Is CO the state of hockey? Nowhere close. But it might be the fastest growing hockey market in the country, if you factor in all levels. Or perhaps second behind California.

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
            Colorado is starting to come around at the youth level -- it's really growing here, and the talent pool is following. Witness just last year, when the Colorado Thunderbirds won the Midget AAA national championship. High school hockey isn't nearly as developed as it is in New England, upstate NY, or Minnesota, but it's finally sponsored by CHSAA, which wasn't the case 5 years ago.
            I am glad to hear it. I am all for the game growing, doesn't matter to me where it is.
            the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
              Colorado is starting to come around at the youth level -- it's really growing here, and the talent pool is following. Witness just last year, when the Colorado Thunderbirds won the Midget AAA national championship. High school hockey isn't nearly as developed as it is in New England, upstate NY, or Minnesota, but it's finally sponsored by CHSAA, which wasn't the case 5 years ago. Is CO the state of hockey? Nowhere close. But it might be the fastest growing hockey market in the country, if you factor in all levels. Or perhaps second behind California.
              And I find this very exciting for the sport of hockey. Maybe someday the over-hyped sport of football will wilt away and hockey will rise nationally and receive its due. Of course that is just my opinion. It's great to see non-traditional markets begin to develop high caliber players. (Rakhshani, Lasch, Beau Bennet, Jason Zucker, etc.)

Comment

That would be interesting to see since there is virtually no way the NCAA could avoid intra-conference first round matchups without destroying bracket integrity.
                The B1G will help to fix that issue.
                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

All State Of Hockey - Colorado Team

F Drew Shore (DU) 23 G, 22A
                  F Nick Shore (DU) 7 G, 11 A
                  F Luke Salazar (DU) 17 G, 9 A
                  D Chris Nutini (DU) 0 G, 8 A
                  D John Ryder (DU) 0 G, 8 A
                  G Mike Garman (Cornell) 8-8-1, .928%. 2.21 GAA

Comment

Originally posted by ronmexico View Post
                    Well AFA doesn’t have any Canadians...
                    They do, but not on the hockey team...

Comment

I have no idea as I don't follow CC or hockey in Colorado.

I just don't care where players come from.
                      So you decide to comment on this thread, even though you don't follow hockey in Colorado or care where players come from. Thanks for your input!

Comment

Originally posted by Bullitt View Post
                        Even more interesting..."Colorado" College does not have a single player from Colorado on their roster! Hmmmmm
                        They have two players "from" Colorado. Andrew Hamburg's family is from Colorado and he has spent most of his life in the Springs. Nick Dineen went to school at Liberty High School on the north end of the Springs. In the past decade, CC has had a great collection of Colorado players and we have four recruits coming in who have either played with the Pikes Peak Miners and the Denver based Thunderbirds.
                        Colorado College Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by Bullitt View Post
                          So you decide to comment on this thread, even though you don't follow hockey in Colorado or care where players come from. Thanks for your input!
                          That's why I kept my input to simply saying that the argument that where players come from is irrelevant and too often brought up on these forums as a talking point.

Colleges recruit nationally and some even go international. Who cares?

Once they put on the jersey, they represent that particular college, not the state in which the college resides.

On our own team, I don't place any higher value on Craig Smith (WI) than I do Jake Gardiner (MN). They're all Badgers and teams bring together people from varied backgrounds to work towards a common goal.

That's why I "yawned" at your comment about CC.

Comment

That's why I kept my input to simply saying that the argument that where players come from is irrelevant and too often brought up on these forums as a talking point.

Colleges recruit nationally and some even go international. Who cares?

Once they put on the jersey, they represent that particular college, not the state in which the college resides.

On our own team, I don't place any higher value on Craig Smith (WI) than I do Jake Gardiner (MN). They're all Badgers and teams bring together people from varied backgrounds to work towards a common goal.

That's why I "yawned" at your comment about CC.
                            ****off topic****
                            I don't believe you for a second. You are the one who thinks we're upset about the packers winning the super bowl so it stands to reason you enjoy having MN players on your roster just at an attempt to tweak us with it. Therefore you put a higher value on some players more then others.

Okay, had to get that off my chest. Colorado is nowhere near a state of hockey compared to MN, Mass, or even MI. Continue.

Comment

****off topic****
                              I don't believe you for a second. You are the one who thinks we're upset about the packers winning the super bowl so it stands to reason you enjoy having MN players on your roster just at an attempt to tweak us with it. Therefore you put a higher value on some players more then others.
                              And here I thought we were getting along.

I think what's important to realize is that I don't hold it against our Minnesota born players that they are from there. They can't help where they were born and I give them full credit for realizing that they can better their station by getting the heck out of there.

As far as tweaking, sure, a bit maybe, but it's far down the list of things to tweak about.

The whole Kessel thing took some of the fun out of tweaking about recruits. I HATE turnabout and it's NOT fairplay.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                                Talk to me when you have more than 5 total Coloradans on all combined Colorado teams.
                                Air Force alone has 6. DU, another 7. But they all pull a lot of kids from Minny. Why is it they would rather go to school out here?
                                2010-2011 Atlantic Hockey Pick 'Em Champion!
                                2013 Atlantic Hockey Postseason Pick 'Em Champion!
                                Air Force Falcons
                                2007 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA West Regional
                                2008 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional
                                2009 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional Final
                                2011 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional
                                2012 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional

Comment

Working...
                                X