Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech needs a new coach, what do you say Cary Eades?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech needs a new coach, what do you say Cary Eades?

Originally posted by Houghton77 View Post
    Fabulous resume, but I could recruite into North Dakota. Can he bring some solid players to Houghton that is the question. Really hard to know and would he want to leave a great progam where he played his hockey?????
    I agree, we should be looking at assistants that have HC on their resume, Hastings, Genz, Rud (SCSU), Blair, Gibbons, even Tok. These guys, or some of them may want the chance to coach at the D1 level.
    "The proper time to do the proper thing is before you have to do it."

Comment

Originally posted by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS View Post
      http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=87830

Much more disappointing than missing Pearson. This AD is on the ball and exceeding I would believe most everyones expectations and should be given credit where credit is due. The mere suggestion of even pursuing Blais would have gotten her laughed at by most everyone in the college hockey world but apparently she did it and came close to making it happen if the story above is credible.

Anybody think there isn't a connection between the two paragraphs in the story above.

This coaching search is first class and once this piece (the most important piece) of the puzzle is in place, I would have to believe she is going to go thru the entire hockey operations and make changes. I will be surprised if Marks remains the SID for the hockey program.
      Awesome

Comment

Originally posted by get a grip View Post
        I agree, we should be looking at assistants that have HC on their resume, Hastings, Genz, Rud (SCSU), Blair, Gibbons, even Tok. These guys, or some of them may want the chance to coach at the D1 level.
        Head coaching experience is a good place to start when rebuiding a hockey program.
        Last edited by yooper(UP) hockey; 04-23-2011, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
          That 105 for Hastings was only base salary. Guentzel was based at over 120 when he was at Minnesota.
          The fact that they were pursuing Blais and made him an offer means that yes, I believe money is not an issue for whoever they hire. Blais and Pearson were both reportedly happy with their respective offers; other NON FINANCIAL issues came into play. It obviously irritates you that Tech apparently has someone with deep pockets supporting the coaching search while NMU is rationing hockey tape.
          Last edited by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS; 04-23-2011, 07:41 AM.

Comment

It obviously irritates you that Tech apparently has someone with deep pockets supporting the coaching search while NMU is rationing hockey tape.
            You have to wonder, why does this guy spend his offseason obsessing over what MTU hockey is doing and trying to poke holes in it? I'm sensing a big time inferiority complex.
            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
            USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

The fact that they were pursuing Blais and made him an offer means that yes, I believe money is not an issue for whoever they hire. Blais and Pearson were both reportedly happy with their respective offers; other NON FINANCIAL issues came into play. It obviously irritates you that Tech apparently has someone with deep pockets supporting the coaching search while NMU is rationing hockey tape.
              I would love to have seen Tech gotten a guy the calibre of Blais. Pearson would have been a great hire as well. Hastings is also a very strong candidate. The question is not whether they have the money. It appears they do. And that's a great thing. The question in the case of an assistant like Guentzel, is would they pay him enough to make a lateral move from an NCAA tourney team, where he would be the odds on favorite to be the next head coach. Do you believe that Guentzel, given the choice of being top assistant at Tech or Omaha, would make that move for a fairly similar financial package?

So what were those non financial issues? You talk to Suzanne? Mel? Blais? The University President? Do tell. See, what you fail to realize JSR, is I've been a Tech hockey fan longer than you. Been to more games. Seen more wins. Known more players and coaches.

You talk about "shooting holes." For whatever reasons, They were unable to close the deal with either Blais or Mel. So there must already have been some holes there somewhere. There were some realities that couldn't be overcome.

That being said, let's hope they get it done with Hastings. The guy is, plain and simply, a winner.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                You have to wonder, why does this guy spend his offseason obsessing over what MTU hockey is doing and trying to poke holes in it? I'm sensing a big time inferiority complex.
                Quite frankly, probably for many of the same reasons that you and so many other here "obsess" over it, because I hope they can get the best guy possible and bring the program back to where it belongs. Tech has a proud, storied tradition. Some of the best fans around (and one of the best bands as well) and a great place to play and watch a game. It would great to see that arena once again be the place that opponents hate to play, and be packed to the rafters every night.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Has anyone heard whether Eades is interviewing.

I would be more than satisifed with Hastings as coach....

Let's wrap it up before the UMD job opens up.

Then, how about Rud for top assistant....

Comment

I would love to have seen Tech gotten a guy the calibre of Blais. Pearson would have been a great hire as well. Hastings is also a very strong candidate. The question is not whether they have the money. It appears they do. And that's a great thing. The question in the case of an assistant like Guentzel, is would they pay him enough to make a lateral move from an NCAA tourney team, where he would be the odds on favorite to be the next head coach. Do you believe that Guentzel, given the choice of being top assistant at Tech or Omaha, would make that move for a fairly similar financial package?

So what were those non financial issues? You talk to Suzanne? Mel? Blais? The University President? Do tell. See, what you fail to realize JSR, is I've been a Tech hockey fan longer than you. Been to more games. Seen more wins. Known more players and coaches.

You talk about "shooting holes." For whatever reasons, They were unable to close the deal with either Blais or Mel. So there must already have been some holes there somewhere. There were some realities that couldn't be overcome.

That being said, let's hope they get it done with Hastings. The guy is, plain and simply, a winner.
                    In time alot of these answers will likely come out; there were obviously realities that couldn't be overcome but they aren't necessarily, salaries, facilities, locations etc. etc that everyone always brings up. Let's just say that Michigan Tech isn't the only one that wants Michigan Tech to be successful and because of this doors that may be opening that may very well have not been open in the past in which I believe the AD deserves credit for. And to be honest you have no idea how many games I've watched and I really don't care how many you've watched or how many players you talked to because it has nill to do with this conversation.
                    Last edited by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS; 04-23-2011, 11:29 AM.

Comment

In time alot of these answers will likely come out; there were obviously realities that couldn't be overcome but they aren't necessarily, salaries, facilities, locations etc. etc that everyone always brings up. Let's just say that Michigan Tech isn't the only one that wants Michigan Tech to be successful and because of this doors that may be opening that may very well have not been open in the past in which I believe the AD deserves credit for. And to be honest you have no idea how many games I've watched and I really don't care how many you've watched or how many players you talked to because it has nill to do with this conversation.
                      Anyone want to speculate on the intangibles that seem to be the obstacles to hiring the first targets in the search? Since they are going after high quality candidates, base salary doesn't appear to be the issue.

I think the conversations so far are going like this:

AD: "We want you to turn this program back into a winner! You tell us what you need to accomplish the mission."
                      Coach: "Well, I am going to need this, this, this, and that."
                      AD: "We're prepared to give you this, this, this, but not that."
                      Coach: "Hmmmmmmm."

Comment

Originally posted by The_Commissioner View Post
                        Anyone want to speculate on the intangibles that seem to be the obstacles to hiring the first targets in the search? Since they are going after high quality candidates, base salary doesn't appear to be the issue.

I think the conversations so far are going like this:

AD: "We want you to turn this program back into a winner! You tell us what you need to accomplish the mission."
                        Coach: "Well, I am going to need this, this, this, and that."
                        AD: "We're prepared to give you this, this, this, but not that."
                        Coach: "Hmmmmmmm."
                        For Dean, it was being guilted into finishing what he started at UNO
                        For Mel, I'm guessing it was family and deciding the comfort it what he has is more important than wanting to be head coach at his alma mater
                        I honestly don't think your conversation is accurate, I think Suzanne said ok other than obviously negotiations for $$$ that will always happen.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          For Dean, it was being guilted into finishing what he started at UNO
                          For Mel, I'm guessing it was family and deciding the comfort it what he has is more important than wanting to be head coach at his alma mater
                          I honestly don't think your conversation is accurate, I think Suzanne said ok other than obviously negotiations for $$$ that will always happen.
                          I think you could be right on both counts, although for Blais, as opposed to being "guilted," it may have been more of being reminded he had a contract which he signed an extension to. I wonder if it was Tech that first approached Blais or Blais who approached Tech. If I'm Trev Alberts, I'm not a happy camper.

I think that there are numerous things that can make or break a deal. The head coach salary is almost the easy part. I think that Suzanne has done a very good job in attracting candidates. And it is good to see that the finances are there to gain the interest. One thing that concerned me with the Blais thing is whether or not he would have stayed long enough to finish what he started. One year in Fargo and potentially two in Omaha would make you wonder about his level of commitment to the program, or would he have left for the next bigger paycheck?

Hopefully the situation will be soon resolved. And the Huskies can start down the road back to have a consistently strong program.

Comment

I wonder if it was Tech that first approached Blais or Blais who approached Tech. If I'm Trev Alberts, I'm not a happy camper.

Hopefully the situation will be soon resolved.
                            It would be nice to hear the TRUE Dean Blais story on who approached who? why? how? when? where?

Also, it will be intresting when he takes his team to Hoton for 2012 Winter Carnival.

Comment

Quite frankly, probably for many of the same reasons that you and so many other here "obsess" over it, because I hope they can get the best guy possible and bring the program back to where it belongs. Tech has a proud, storied tradition. Some of the best fans around (and one of the best bands as well) and a great place to play and watch a game. It would great to see that arena once again be the place that opponents hate to play, and be packed to the rafters every night.
                              Whoever MTU hires will take tech back to the glory years just like 1975.

Put the band behind the opponent goalie not in left field.

Comment

Originally posted by yooper(UP) hockey View Post
                                Whoever MTU hires will take tech back to the glory years just like 1975.

Put the band behind the opponent goalie not in left field.
                                I fondly remember MTU games in the 1970s when Mike Zuke was playing and the great John MacInnes was the coach. Those were the good old days.

Comment

Working...
                                X