It's Realignment time, it's realignment time! Make it work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It's Realignment time, it's realignment time! Make it work

Air Force isn't going anywhere anytime soon. They've won three of the last four AHA championships but have only won four games against current WCHA members (DU once, CC once, Bemidji twice) in the last five years. There are significant obstacles (American-born players, service committment, etc.) that trump geography for conference affiliation. Plus, when you're in the Air Force, flying a lot isn't a problem.
    2010-2011 Atlantic Hockey Pick 'Em Champion!
    2013 Atlantic Hockey Postseason Pick 'Em Champion!
    Air Force Falcons
    2007 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA West Regional
    2008 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional
    2009 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional Final
    2011 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional
    2012 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional

Comment

Originally posted by AFHockeyFan View Post
      Air Force isn't going anywhere anytime soon. They've won three of the last four AHA championships but have only won four games against current WCHA members (DU once, CC once, Bemidji twice) in the last five years. There are significant obstacles (American-born players, service committment, etc.) that trump geography for conference affiliation. Plus, when you're in the Air Force, flying a lot isn't a problem.
      Most explosive team in college hockey?
      Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
      1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
      2006-2007: 15-24-2
      2007-2008: 20-20-4
      2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

UConn would be full member in the expansion to sixteen. They are an up-and-comer in all major sports--football had a BCS bid this year and played at the Big House, men's and women's hoops are always solid, and they hosted a baseball regional last year and are ranked again this year--quality in all three major sports. Hockey gives the rest of the conference a doormat for a while until that program grows. Plus you finally add the East Coast market for the network. UConn is a natural choice for expansion.
        Not a chance. The BTN isn't adding UConn. There are only 2 schools that they would add a 13th and 14th member for......Notre Dame or Texas.
        HT: Bucs FC - IV.46

Comment

It's already the Big Twelve, which is the Big Ten plus at least two others.

UConn would be full member in the expansion to sixteen. They are an up-and-comer in all major sports--football had a BCS bid this year and played at the Big House, men's and women's hoops are always solid, and they hosted a baseball regional last year and are ranked again this year--quality in all three major sports. Hockey gives the rest of the conference a doormat for a while until that program grows. Plus you finally add the East Coast market for the network. UConn is a natural choice for expansion.
          You do realize that UConn is a basketball heavy school in a basketball heavy conference right? They aren't leaving the Big East moneymaker anytime soon, certainly not for a hockey they care nothing about.
          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            Isn't PC also one of the founding members?
            Yes, and Lowell has been a member since the league started play.

Comment

Why is it that nobody realizes that if there's any school out there that's open to flying around a lot, it would be Air Force. You guys do realize they go to school to fly stuff right?
              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                Why is it that nobody realizes that if there's any school out there that's open to flying around a lot, it would be Air Force. You guys do realize they go to school to fly stuff right?
                You do realize that pilots are only a small percentage of graduates from the school right?

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Cut #1
                  Bold = BCS school
                  Code:
                  BTHC     WCHA    CCHA    HEA      AHA     Empire  Ivy        Unassigned

UMn      UND     FSU     BC       SHU     CCT     Harvard    UAH
                  UW       SCSU    WMU     BU       BNT     SLU     Dartmouth
                  UMi      MTU     LSSU    NE       HC      UC      Yale
                  MSU      tUMD    NMU     Prov     AIC     RPI     Princeton
                  tOSU     DU      MIA     UML      Army    CLG     Cornell
                  PSU      CC      BGSU    MMK      UFA     RIT     Brown
                           UAA     UAF     UNH      UConn   CAN
                           UM-Man  NDU     Mass     QPAC    NIA
                           UNO     RMU     UVM
                           BSU     Mercy   Maine
                  Untouched conferences: WCHA, HEA, Ivy
                  Added to conferences: CCHA
                  Changed: AHA
                  New: Empire

Rip it apart, but have something constructive to argue with. Don't say "It will never happen", because the status quo won't stand once the BTHC hits the ice running. Come up with something...
                  There's a number of schools that will add NCAA DI hockey, if given a conference opportunity:

Lindenwood, Minot St, Minn St-Moorhead, British Columbia (mid-April NCAA anouncement)

Others that could/would, under the right circumstances :

Navy, Rhode Island, Liberty, possibly Grand Valley State

As well as some dream additions:

Buffalo, Syracuse, DePaul, Iowa St, Texas, Oklahoma, Stanford, Washington, Oregon (with Nike $'s), Utah (with the advent of new Pac10, Big 12, Texas, and likely Oklahoma networks, the need for additional programming is acute.)

WCHA adds UBC and loses MTU, creating the potential for more West Coast additions.

Notre Dame, Miami, Bowling Green, and W Michigan secede from CCHA and add Robert Morris, UAH, Lindenwood, and Niagara to form new conference

CCHA adds MTU, plus Grand Valley St, MSU-Moorhead, and Minot State to create regional northern tier league

AHA adds Liberty, Navy, and Rhode Island

Just don't see Notre Dame and Miami staying with Upper Peninsula schools. While UAH, Robert Morris, Lindenwood, and Niagara are not exactly well known names, they at least offer media coverage in relatively large metro areas. Notre Dame has probably been working the phones with schools Big East schools like DePaul, Pitt, Syracuse, UConn to upgrade, and maybe even Iowa State and Texas, etc., but the probability of those happening is likely remote.

Comment

Originally posted by Star2City View Post
                    There's a number of schools that will add NCAA DI hockey, if given a conference opportunity:

Lindenwood, Minot St, Minn St-Moorhead, British Columbia (mid-April NCAA anouncement)

Others that could/would, under the right circumstances :

Navy, Rhode Island, Liberty, possibly Grand Valley State

As well as some dream additions:

Buffalo, Syracuse, DePaul, Iowa St, Texas, Oklahoma, Stanford, Washington, Oregon (with Nike $'s), Utah (with the advent of new Pac10, Big 12, Texas, and likely Oklahoma networks, the need for additional programming is acute.)

WCHA adds UBC and loses MTU, creating the potential for more West Coast additions.

Notre Dame, Miami, Bowling Green, and W Michigan secede from CCHA and add Robert Morris, UAH, Lindenwood, and Niagara to form new conference

CCHA adds MTU, plus Grand Valley St, MSU-Moorhead, and Minot State to create regional northern tier league

AHA adds Liberty, Navy, and Rhode Island

Just don't see Notre Dame and Miami staying with Upper Peninsula schools. While UAH, Robert Morris, Lindenwood, and Niagara are not exactly well known names, they at least offer media coverage in relatively large metro areas. Notre Dame has probably been working the phones with schools Big East schools like DePaul, Pitt, Syracuse, UConn to upgrade, and maybe even Iowa State and Texas, etc., but the probability of those happening is likely remote.
                    The best bet for BCS schools to upgrade is to have a school that is planning on replacing or upgrading its arena.

This could be tough since the economy is still struggling and credit may be tough so I am not sure about which schools will still be doing this.

U Neb Lincoln opted to not add ice capabilities to its new basketball arena so they are most likely not going to add a team.
                    NC State could add a team at the drop of a hat but most likely won't.
                    Seton Hall could add one as well since they play Mens bball at the Prudential center and their club team plays there as well.
                    Washington?
                    USF is another school that could add one easily and would make more sense than NC state.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                      You do realize that pilots are only a small percentage of graduates from the school right?
                      Yeah, but they're still all about the airplane.

As soon as I win that Mega-Millions jackpot tomorrow, expect an announcement from GVSU about looking into adding hockey and looking to join a conference with the rest of it's GLIAC bretheran.
                      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

So let's decide if a Big 10 Conference is viable with only 6 teams. Would they play each other 4 times Home/Away weekends? If so that fills 20 games/10 weekends on the schedule and is very balanced. The season ending tourney would encompass 2 weekends, the Top 2 seeds are auto bid to the semis and the other 4 teams play the weekend before, so if you took the schedule back from the 1st week of the NCAA, the 1st week of conference play would start the week before xmas, allowing the GLI to continue during the Xmas break week. Now, what to do with the other 6 weekends where the CCHA currently plays today (Oct-early Dec). Could these teams find enough openings on other teams schedules to make up for all of those games? I like that perhaps other teams could be added from other conferences that normally are not scheduled (more mini-tourneys? Hockey showcases?). So the question just beckons, could they make up those other 6-10 games each year. I think so. Also, 5 of these teams are traditionally decent, so the conference will be fine with ratings, etc.

The thing I love about this arrangement is that we may see many of these games on the Big 10 network and being that I moved from Michigan to Florida, this will help quench my appetite for UM hockey. Hence another reason why this works.

Now can Penn St get a team together?

Let's look to see if any other Big 10 teams would join:
                        Illinois? Who knows.
                        Iowa? Doubt it.
                        Northwestern? Why are they still in the Big 10?
                        Purdue? Doubt it.
                        Indiana? Heck they aren't even a basketball school anymore.
                        Nebraska? Hmmm, if UNO has a team is that really a Big 10 team or something else? I really don't understand the UN-L and UN-O relationship here...

So, it stands to reason that no other Big 10 teams join in except if the money is enticing enough they may, which will be good for the NCAA hockey in general, more scholarships, more players, more money (I think). I think I like the move, although a 6 team conference just sounds drab. But who really cares about the conference that much, the NCAA tourney is the focus. Maybe if UNO and UND joined up, then that would be best. Play a hockey showcase with Miami, BGSU, Ferris, Western, etc.
                        Go Blue!

Comment

Northeastern should be in the Northeast.
                          Originally posted by dutchbrowncoat
                          shuffle and redeal

5 conferences broken down into ten divisions.

west-
                          air force, alaska, alaska-anchorage, army, colorado, denver

north midwest -
                          bemidji, minnesota, minn-duluth,, minn-state, north dakota, st cloud

michigan -
                          ferris state, lake superior, michigan tech, north mich, west mich

big ten -
                          michigan, mich state, minnesota, ohio state, penn state, wisconsin

central -
                          alabama-huntsville, bowling green, miami, nebraska, notre dame, robert morris

empire -
                          clarkson, niagara, rit, rpi, st lawrence, union

ivy -
                          brown, cornell, dartmouth, harvard, princeton, yale

north east -
                          bentley, maine, merrimack, unh, umass-lowell, vermont

massachusetts -
                          aic, bc, bu, holy cross, umass, northeastern

east -
                          canisius, colgate, connecticut, mercyhurst, qunnipiac, sacred heart

just grouped teams geographically best i could. kept ivies together, big ten together. easy pairings and travel partners in empire. kept army with air force. each team will play a lot of local teams, but can schedule ooc for old rivals. you guys might flip a few of the teams around, feel free.

pair up the divisions for conferences (west/north midwest, michigan/big ten, central/empire, ivy/northeast, mass/east). play each team in division 2-3 times, each in conference 1-2, and then choose ooc past that.

each conference has a tourney, with the top four teams from each division making it in. number 1 in division a vs number 4 from division b and so on. conference winners get autobids, everything else is power rankings.

Comment

This thread makes Baby Jesus cry.
                            Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                              You do realize that UConn is a basketball heavy school in a basketball heavy conference right? They aren't leaving the Big East moneymaker anytime soon, certainly not for a hockey they care nothing about.
                              They're a basketball heavy school in a basketball heavy conference with a football team, however. It's that last part that would make all the difference in the world, because Big Ten football money is bigger money than Big East basketball money.

IF an invite came, UConn would have to be profoundly stupid in the head not to take it, especially because in all likelihood any move the Big Whatever will make to go to 16* is gonna dynamite the Big East (i.e. Notre Dame). It makes no sense to stay in the carcass of the Big East in that situation.

*Apart from, of course, the laser-guided nuclear missile to the rest of college football that would be grabbing Oklahoma, Texas, Mizzou and A&M.
                              UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
                                They're a basketball heavy school in a basketball heavy conference with a football team, however. It's that last part that would make all the difference in the world, because Big Ten football money is bigger money than Big East basketball money.

IF an invite came, UConn would have to be profoundly stupid in the head not to take it, especially because in all likelihood any move the Big Whatever will make to go to 16* is gonna dynamite the Big East (i.e. Notre Dame). It makes no sense to stay in the carcass of the Big East in that situation.

*Apart from, of course, the laser-guided nuclear missile to the rest of college football that would be grabbing Oklahoma, Texas, Mizzou and A&M.
                                You do realize this is the same Big East that has the highest rated tournament and 11 teams in the NCAA Tournament? I think if the Big East loses Notre Dame, they'll be ok you know, considering Notre Dame does not play Big East football.

The Big East cares about one thing: Basketball. That's the whole purpose of it.
                                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Working...
                                X