Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaching Changes - 2011 Offseason Edition

Post em if you got em!

Saw the first few in the NCAA Market over the weekend.

College of Saint Benedict - Women's Head Hockey Coach/ Administrative

Elmira College - Assistant Women's Ice Hockey & Head JV Coach

Plymouth State University - Head Women's Ice Hockey Coach
    The WCHA Dynasty
    Wisconsin
    National Championships: 2011,2009,2007,2006; Runners Up: 2012, 2008
    MOP Winners: Bauer (07), Duggan (11), Knight (11), Vetter (06, 09)

Minnesota
    National Championships: 2012, 2005, 2004, 2000 (AWCHA); Runners Up: 2006
    MOP Winners: Darwitz (05), Killewald (00), Raty(12), Wendell (04)

Minnesota-Duluth
    National Championships: 2010, 2008, 2003, 2002, 2001; Runners Up: 2007
    MOP Winners: Blais (10), Martin (08), Ouellette (03), Rooth (01)

Re: Coaching Changes - 2011 Offseason Edition

Originally posted by WHKY blogger View Post
    Post em if you got em!

Saw the first few in the NCAA Market over the weekend.

College of Saint Benedict - Women's Head Hockey Coach/ Administrative

Elmira College - Assistant Women's Ice Hockey & Head JV Coach

Plymouth State University - Head Women's Ice Hockey Coach
    Interesting: Elmira Assistant Coach/JV Coach is full time; PSU Head Coach, part time. Disappointing that they haven't made a full time commitment to the program.

Comment

Elmira's is a grad assistantship...not really full-time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman33 View Post
        Elmira's is a grad assistantship...not really full-time.
        I was just going from the job description:

"Employer: Elmira College Type: Full Time - Experienced"

As compared to:

"Employer: Plymouth State University/Department of Athletics Type: Part Time - Experienced"

And: "Plymouth State University is accepting applications for the part-time position of Head Women’s Ice Hockey Coach."

... But I do see the Elmira description says that it's a grad assistant position....

Comment

I think Concordia, MN has a job opening, but I have not seen anything posted. This years' coach was an interim coach.

Comment

According to a friend who inquired about the position, Plymouth is paying 9k-15k depending on experience, and is not willing to help employ the person in another capacity at the University.

Kind of a sad indictment of the schools desire (or lack thereof) to build a successful program.

The part time position wouldn't be ideal in any situation, but would at least be understandable and workable if they were willing to help a qualified coach make the job full time with other responsibilities on campus. Short of that it's going to be next to impossible to get anyone other than someone local or someone who has just graduated college.

Comment

It's not on the NCAA listings anymore, but earlier in the season there was a posting for Wesleyan, did that get filled?

Comment

Harvard is looking for an Assistant Coach. Looks like Ruzzi left.

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
                  According to a friend who inquired about the position, Plymouth is paying 9k-15k depending on experience, and is not willing to help employ the person in another capacity at the University.

Kind of a sad indictment of the schools desire (or lack thereof) to build a successful program.

The part time position wouldn't be ideal in any situation, but would at least be understandable and workable if they were willing to help a qualified coach make the job full time with other responsibilities on campus. Short of that it's going to be next to impossible to get anyone other than someone local or someone who has just graduated college.
                  Plymouth moved from club to varsity the same year Norwich did. The comparison of the two programs shows the polar opposite extremes of institutional commitment to building a program. The final season standings show the effect. One team wins it all. The other team is the only team in the ECAC East not to qualify for the playoffs.
                  2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                  2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                  2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                  2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                    Plymouth moved from club to varsity the same year Norwich did. The comparison of the two programs shows the polar opposite extremes of institutional commitment to building a program. The final season standings show the effect. One team wins it all. The other team is the only team in the ECAC East not to qualify for the playoffs.
                    That is the difference between a small private school with a hockey tradition in a hockey crazed market, and a small public school without tradition in a down economy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                      That is the difference between a small private school with a hockey tradition in a hockey crazed market, and a small public school without tradition in a down economy.
                      i agree and i disagree. if youre going to invest in a rink for your programs you can at least invest in a full time hockey coach, even if you're paying them 25,000 a year instead of 15,000. it's not much, but you can get by on that in NH and dedicate your full attention to trying to build the program.

i dunno where rink funds came from, but if they were largely donated, then whoever contributed should have done so with the stipulation that the school be willing to at least make a minimum full time commitment to their programs so they had a chance at being successful.

Comment

i agree and i disagree. if youre going to invest in a rink for your programs you can at least invest in a full time hockey coach, even if you're paying them 25,000 a year instead of 15,000. it's not much, but you can get by on that in NH and dedicate your full attention to trying to build the program.

i dunno where rink funds came from, but if they were largely donated, then whoever contributed should have done so with the stipulation that the school be willing to at least make a minimum full time commitment to their programs so they had a chance at being successful.
                        I'm told that the Plymouth State Rink is a nice facility. Certainly there are challenges for schools like Plymouth in a state that doesn't provide well for its state colleges. Of course, Castleton has done at least a little bit better on the women's side than Plymouth, and done very well on the men's side. Vermont has the lowest level of state support for state colleges.
                        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Easier said than done. The rink funding came at a time before the economy tanked. I also suspect the funding for the rink was geared more towards providing facilities for the students and local populace than the hockey teams.
                          Last edited by Hux; 03-24-2011, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                            Easier said than done. The rink funding came at a time before the economy tanked. I also suspect the funding for the rink was geared more towards providing facilities for the students and local populace than the hockey teams.

perhaps so, but the economy is not a good enough excuse to me. it's not like plymouth was a thriving metropolis before the economy went bad.

regardless, they still made a conscious decision before the bottom fell out of the economy to add hockey...but they didn't support the program then either. The head coaching salary, according to my friend referenced above who also applied the first time around, is actually a few grand higher now than it was a few years ago. you can't really use the economy as a scapegoat when the program hasn't be supported in better economical times.

if they couldn't make at least a minimum effort to support their program in a good economy, then they probably should have either added a sport that was cheaper to administer and operate, or they should have been cutting sports.

Comment

Yale - http://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobs#/detail/4113665

Comment

Working...
                              X