X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Green Bay regional: NoDak vs RPI, Western Mich vs Denver

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
    On January 4th, Priceless wrote this:

Assuming that he was correct at the time (which I'm not guaranteeing), Rensselaer, Merrimack, and Western Michigan all made history this season.
    Counting on Priceless to be correct about things is like counting on him not to order the supersize triple Whopper meal. It could happen, but it's rare.
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
      Counting on Priceless to be correct about things is like counting on him not to order the supersize triple Whopper meal. It could happen, but it's rare.
      It won't happen, McDonalds phased out the Supersize a few years ago....Not that I know this from experience or nothing
      St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
      4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
      2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
      16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
      9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
      2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
        It won't happen, McDonalds phased out the Supersize a few years ago....Not that I know this from experience or nothing
        The analogy stands. The boy is right about as frequently as he has a light salad for dinner rather than the all-you-can-eat buffet.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
          I don't think that one could ever have bought a Whopper at McDonalds.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I'd like to hear an analysis of this RPI team...
            Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

Originally posted by Sloe Gin View Post

hmm...allow the other team to exhaust itself by shooting a lot while failing to score, then get them on the counterattack?

Trick them by taking a penalty in order to score a short-handed goal?

Not sure whether that is by design or whether it just happens....engineers sometimes get lost in their own thoughts.....
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                thanks for helping us out w/some info GB, do you have any phone # for these hotels or web-links?
                Let me Google that for you...

Comment

Anyone know which conference refs are doing the games.
                  I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
                    Anyone know which conference refs are doing the games.
                    I'm willing to bet there's at least 1 Hockey East crew there.

Comment

I plan on attending this regional and will be rooting for Western Michigan. Two reasons, Rob Facca is a former assistant coach with NMU and because of conference affiliation. While I do have somewhat of a rooting interest it will be great to watch a very exciting regional with great fans and look forward to meeting many of you.

I will be wearing a NMU hoody and my bright flourescent yellow Puckhead baseball cap.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloe Gin View Post
                        I was hoping that someone who has been attending games would post, but since no one has yet, I'll attempt it and allow others to add or subtract.

RPI's strength this year has probably been in goal and in defense. Allen York, a junior goalie who is a Columbus draft choice, was a Hobey candidate and has played almost every minute except when injured. Soph Bryce Merriam filled in then.

The defense is young with 2 seniors, 1 junior with soph eligibility, a soph transfer, and 3 freshman. The seniors are Jeff Foss, a Nashville draft choice who is almost from North Dakota (Moorhead, MN) and captain John Kennedy (full name John Fitzgerald Kennedy, Jr.) We doubt that he is related to the former President http://www.rpiathletics.com/roster.a...39&path=hockey. JFK has provided leadership.

Mike Bergin, a Dallas draft choice, received a medical redshirt two years ago. Nick Bailen, a BGSU transfer, has been playing the point on the first powerplay unit. Bergin also sees duty there. The three frosh dmen, Bo Dolan, Pat Koudys, and Guy "the beef" Leboeuf round out the unit. One of the freshman will probably not dress. Koudys is likely to be drafted this year. His father's cousin Randy Koudys '84 played forward against UND in the 1984 tourney.

The forward lines are led by Hobey finalist and ECAC two-time Player of the Year Chase Polacek who led the team in scoring and classmate Tyler Helfrich who has returned to his freshman form after two injury-plagued seasons.

Others who have contributed a lot on the scoreboard are freshman Brock Higgs, sophs Marty O'Grady and C. J. Lee, and senior forward (formerly dman) Bryan Brutlag. Senior (with junior eligibility) Joel Malchuk and junior Josh Rabbani play more defensive roles but have also scored goals. I won't go through the entire roster but it can be found on the team website http://www.rpiathletics.com/index.as...ey&path=hockey.

I should mention that over the summer RPI lost two of its most promising forwards, Jerry D'Amigo and Brandon Pirri, to the pros after just one year. These were the first two one-and-dones that RPI has ever had, and this is only the second time that RPI lost more than one underclassman to the pros. In 1985, four turned pro after the NCAA championship season.

Coach Seth Appert has been trying to implement an up-tempo game plan similar to that which he was familiar with when he was an assistant in Denver. IMO, at times we have been successful and at times we haven't.

RPI's first goal is to score a goal. The last NCAA tourney goal that RPI scored was George Servinis's controversial goal in the 1985 championship game. Since then RPI has gone over 7 periods without scoring, being shut out in 1994 and 1995. After we score a goal, we will think about winning.
                        Last edited by Ralph Baer; 03-22-2011, 06:00 PM.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Ralph, we've kicked this memory around a few times here in the last ten years, but my initial exposure to RPI was the series UND hosted over Thanksgiving weekend in 1984. UND won the first game 7-6 on Chris Jensen's OT goal, which I recall as a diving effort to reach a rebound with an open net waiting. The second game RPI won convincingly (though I don't recall the details as well.) I think that was RPI's last loss of the season, making them one of the all-time great college teams.

I usually like to see them do well, but not Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by jk View Post
                            We're in a position where we can do well on Saturday and not win, so... yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by jk View Post
                              Ralph, we've kicked this memory around a few times here in the last ten years, but my initial exposure to RPI was the series UND hosted over Thanksgiving weekend in 1984. UND won the first game 7-6 on Chris Jensen's OT goal, which I recall as a diving effort to reach a rebound with an open net waiting. The second game RPI won convincingly (though I don't recall the details as well.) I think that was RPI's last loss of the season, making them one of the all-time great college teams.

Brings back a lot of memories. Unfortunately I also have to remember the 1984 NCAA tourney series in Troy. In my 48 years of following RPI hockey (and college hockey in general) I have never seen any goaltending performance to equal what Jon Casey was able to do. It was not only the number of saves he made-it was the quality. There were so many dead on sure goals that he saved in the two games that I will never forget it. I have always felt RPI would have been a two time NCAA champ in those back to back years if it wasn't for him.
                              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

This will for sure be one of the better regional's, I will be cheering for WMU this weekend because of them being in the same league. Go Broncos.

Also wouldn't be upset if there was another DU NoDak match up, looked like a great game this past weekend.
                                NMU

Comment

Working...
                                X