Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Green Bay regional: NoDak vs RPI, Western Mich vs Denver

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    I was curious... when was the last time a team went from not a TUC and out (to eliminate getting in as an autobid) to in the tournament at-large?
    Happens all the time.
    Without A Peer - Full coverage of RPI Men's and Women's Hockey, with a twist of lemon.

Without A Peer live tweets every RPI hockey game, men's and women's. Follow us at @without_a_peer on Twitter.

Comment

Fighting Sioux 23 provides a great overview of the team. The Sioux can roll four lines with confidence and that wears down teams and pays dividends late in periods. One of the Sioux strengths has been more discipline in the last half of the season. They take far fewer dumb penalties than in past years. However, Hextall still will take some head-scratchers and in the NCAAs, I am afraid that will cost the team. Also, if the refs decide hitting should be curtailed, the Sioux aggressiveness will be stymied. However, I truly believe the Sioux have played one of their "cleaner" years than I have seen in awhile and that is why I am most excited to see what they can do this year. Their talent level top to bottom balances out a need to beat teams into submission.

I think the Sioux PK is terrible when they don't go out to meet the opposing team. When they sit back and try to positionally defend the PP, it doesn't seem to work for them.

Frustration sets in for this team if they get stopped on some grade-A chances or held in check for extended lengths. (However), the Sioux have (a couple) comeback victories in the third period this year.

The games this past weekend were good to see... the team weathered lulls in play against talented teams and Dell showed that he can win a game on his own.
      Last edited by gordwiser; 03-21-2011, 11:45 AM. Reason: Statistical inaccuracy.
      Panzer for Hobey.

"With one team playing at home, the audience was understandably dominated by maroon and gold sweaters. One notable exception was the fan who showed up wearing a replica of Alaska Anchorage’s bright gold third sweaters."
      INCH, March 27, 2005

Seawolf Jersey Guy is my alter ego.

Comment

DU/WMU connection - Junior forward Derek Roehl on WMU is the son of former Pio great Craig Roehl who played at DU from 1976 to 1978, Craig posted 42 goals and 46 assists for 88 points in his three seasons at DU. In his senior season he scored a total of 8 shorthanded goals to set the school single season record which still stands. Besides taking a regular shift, he and Bob Pazzelli were the top penalty killers on the great 1977/78 team, Between the two of them they had 11 shorthanded goals that season.

Derek had a goal and an assist last weekend against Michigan in the CCHA semifinals.
        Last edited by du78; 03-21-2011, 11:27 AM.
        DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by gordwiser View Post
          The Sioux have zero comeback victories in the third period this year.
          Not exactly true...

http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey...ebraska-omaha/

http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey...nnesota-state/

http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey...-north-dakota/

Given that, we are definitely a front running team.
          North Dakota
          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
            HA! Stupid USCHO has contradicting stats. Thank you for pointing out my mistake. That cinches it for me, Sioux are unstoppable!
            Panzer for Hobey.

"With one team playing at home, the audience was understandably dominated by maroon and gold sweaters. One notable exception was the fan who showed up wearing a replica of Alaska Anchorage’s bright gold third sweaters."
            INCH, March 27, 2005

Seawolf Jersey Guy is my alter ego.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruikka Task View Post
              North Dakota rolls.
              in pig ****!

Comment

Originally posted by Bronzebacks View Post
                in pig ****!
                You took your sweet time getting here.
                "My greatest achievement."
                Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
                  The power play is going to be key. There will be lots of penalties called with non-WCHA refs.
                  Hmm.....the RPI faithful is fervently hoping that there will be no ECAC refs!
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                    Correct. Had they touched it, it WOULD have been. Fortunately they didn't, so they can still hoist and parade the hell out of the National Title. Nice Try
                    Yup, arrogance on parade here. And to think all the hard times we were given in saying we'd cruise into the final 5 when I don't even remember seeing that anywhere. Dangerous to think you're just going to walk to a title. You're not even a #1 overall seed, so what's up with that?

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                      Hmm.....the RPI faithful is fervently hoping that there will be no ECAC refs!

Usually, they try to get referees from conferences not involving the two teams, to avoid any (perceived) bias. Given that, I expect either a Hockey East or a CCHA crew.
                      Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        I was curious... when was the last time a team went from not a TUC and out (to eliminate getting in as an autobid) to in the tournament at-large?
                        I don't know where the quote is, but I think that I remember Priceless saying in one of the PWR-related thread that RPI would be the first team in a long time (since the 16-team format was implemented???) to go from not being a TUC to making the tournament as an at-large in a single season.
                        Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                          I don't know where the quote is, but I think that I remember Priceless saying in one of the PWR-related thread that RPI would be the first team in a long time (since the 16-team format was implemented???) to go from not being a TUC to making the tournament as an at-large in a single season.
                          I know that isn't true. Heck, look at Merrimack and Western Michigan this year.
                          Without A Peer - Full coverage of RPI Men's and Women's Hockey, with a twist of lemon.

Without A Peer live tweets every RPI hockey game, men's and women's. Follow us at @without_a_peer on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                            Usually, they try to get referees from conferences not involving the two teams, to avoid any (perceived) bias. Given that, I expect either a Hockey East or a CCHA crew.
                            I saw a couple of christmas tournaments with CCHA refs and they did an excellent job. Better than some of the WCHA games I saw.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                              I saw a couple of christmas tournaments with CCHA refs and they did an excellent job. Better than some of the WCHA games I saw.
                              Like the 2009 GLI where the CCHA refs were begging to create a UM/MSU finale by constantly putting us in the box and conveniently missing icing and offsides calls?

Comment

DU announced that Altitude2 will be picking up the DU v. Western game on Saturday. I'm not sure who gets Alt2 outside of the Denver area, but it might be available on Satellite. Have any other regional networks announced syndication for this game?

r

Comment

Working...
                                X