X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Green Bay regional: NoDak vs RPI, Western Mich vs Denver

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
    QED.

I seem to recall Minnesota doing much the same thing rolling into Grand Forks to breeze past Holy Cross.

As an aside, I'm not a fan of the "don't touch it" nonsense. Success is guaranteed to no one in the future. Celebrate it when you encounter it at any level. I'm sure the national championship won't be offended if you take time to be pleased with a regular season or conference tournament championship.
    Sounds to me like the sioux are trying to take our arrogance crown from us. Which I'm okay with because it does set them up for a big fall. But if it does happen to them, their fans don't have to worry too much about us showing up at their games with jerseys of whatever team happens to beat them.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
      Sounds to me like the sioux are trying to take our arrogance crown from us. Which I'm okay with because it does set them up for a big fall. But if it does happen to them, their fans don't have to worry too much about us showing up at their games with jerseys of whatever team happens to beat them.
      It'd be tough to wear jerseys of all the teams that beat Minnesota. Most people don't even have the closet space to hold that many.
      Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

They should have touched it, It would have been the last trophy that they would have touched this year!
        There is Hope . . .

Comment

Originally posted by The Vicar View Post
          They should have touched it, It would have been the last trophy that they would have touched this year!
          Correct. Had they touched it, it WOULD have been. Fortunately they didn't, so they can still hoist and parade the hell out of the National Title. Nice Try

It's also a bit ironic for an SCSU fan to give advice about how to handle Trophies.
          North Dakota
          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Looking forward to making the trip from Michigan.

As a fan, I'm just happen to be back in the Dance. I'm sure the players are hungry for more though.

I hope some fellow Lunatics make the trip as well
            Western Michigan University Bronco Hockey
            Home of the Lawson Lunatics

Comment

Originally posted by broncos24 View Post
              Looking forward to making the trip from Michigan.

As a fan, I'm just happen to be back in the Dance. I'm sure the players are hungry for more though.

I hope some fellow Lunatics make the trip as well
              I think Western will surprise people. If they can keep it close, or even get a lead by one or two, they are strong enough to hold on and win it late. Denver is very good, and I think they are the rightful favorite, but I think the game will be a close one.
              North Dakota

Comment

RPI-you guys have the best posters on D3Football.com-great stuff. Can you bring some of those guys over here?

Comment

Originally posted by sju56321 View Post
                  RPI-you guys have the best posters on D3Football.com-great stuff. Can you bring some of those guys over here?
                  What's wrong with us?

And what makes you think we're not one in the same?
                  Last edited by realet; 03-21-2011, 09:13 AM.
                  Without A Peer - Full coverage of RPI Men's and Women's Hockey, with a twist of lemon.

Without A Peer live tweets every RPI hockey game, men's and women's. Follow us at @without_a_peer on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by dubbie31 View Post
                    I don't like the match up of Denver and NoDak in this regional...as brianvf said in the Denver thread....it would have been a much better FF match up. Either way, both teams have tests in the 1st round.
                    That sounded pretty assumptive on your part. It's not about the match-ups we want. Like last season, Michigan had Miami in the Midwest regional final a week after beating them in the CCHA semi-final. Just how the pairwise worked. Besides, if Denver was switched with Union out east, they'd play UM-D. If they were switched with Michigan in St.Louis, they'd get UNO. Of course we always want our team to be paired with what is deemed to be "the best match-up". If you think switching with Merrimack and getting Notre Dame then Miami/UNH would have been easier, you're mistaken. Merrimack as good as they are, may find that out.

WMU will give Denver a good run. I think Denver's skill and size will wear the Broncos down, but if WMU gets out to a lead, they make it really difficult to come back on. From what I saw from RPI last season, they capitalize on their chances. Don't leave Polacek alone. They had more options last season offensively, but he is the man. Their goaltender is good also.

Can any of you fans provide a better summary for your teams?

Comment

No question, I'm rooting for RPI vs NoDak!!!
                      GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                        DU has a tendency to fall behind early and storm back late. Over the course of the season they scored 31 goals in the 1st period, 34 in the 2nd, 64 in the 3rd and 3 in OT. On the flip side they have given up 36 goals in the 1st period, 40 in the second, only 28 in the 3rd and 1 in OT. They are a plus 36 goals in the 3rd period. Their only OT loss was to UND last Saturday in the WCHA championship. DU is led offensively by Drew Shore and Jayson Zucker with 45 and 41 points each. They also have strong offensive forwards in Anthony Maiani, Kyle Otsrow, Luke Salazar, Beau Bennett and Nick Shore. After missing all of last season and the first half of this season, senior Dusty Jackson has made is presence known in front of the net. He plays a physical game and chips in some key goals. Only senior Jesse Martin is unavailable to play due to the broken neck he suffered back in October against UND. Supporting forwad roles belong to Shawn Ostrow, Jarrod Mermis, Chris Knowlton and Nate Dewhurst. Ostrow Mermis and Knowlton have scored some key goals for the Pios this season. Dan Olszewski, Jon Cook and Joey Brehm are also support players and fairly versatile with Cook and Brehm playing both forward and defense when called upon.

DU's defense has a pair of offensive minded defensemen in Matt Donovan and David Makowski who are 4th and 5th on DU in scoring. The other 4 backliners, John Lee, Chris Nutini, John Ryder and Paul Phillips are basically stay at home defensemen with Lee having a couple of goals this year and the rest chipping in with some assists. John Ryder is a big physical defenseman who hits like a big truck.

In goal, DU will go with Sam Brittain, All WCHA Rookie Goalie and All WCHA Tourney Goalie. He has a 2.24 goals against and a.923 saves percentage and sports an 18-8-5 record.

The DU team is built on speed with WCHA Rookie of the Year, Jason Zucker, being the fastest one the team and one of the fastest in the country. All WCHA Player Drew Shore has been the most consistent forward on the team. Should be a fun weekend in Green Bay. GO DU!!!
                        Last edited by du78; 03-21-2011, 10:39 AM.
                        DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                          Ryder is a big physical defenseman who hits like a big YELLOW truck.
                          FYP. Copyright to PioneerPhanatic.

Comment

One North Dakota fans take on his team...(sorry for the long post)

Offense: Ranked 2nd Nationally at 4.05 goals/game
                            North Dakota is very strong with the puck. We like to cycle, and wear teams down with physical play. We also have pretty good speed from our forwards and for the most part are a good passing team. Our d-men, for the most part, are surprisingly quick as well as big. Don't be surprised if MacWilliam or Blood carry the puck all the way into the zone. Genoway is obviously an offensive threat as well, but most people know about him already. Don't expect Forbort to shoot, but also don't be surprised if he makes an amazing pass. Our top line (Frattin, Malone, Trupp) is obviously our best line. They are nicknamed the "Pony Express" because they always deliver (also, Malone's nickname is 'Pony'). Frattin (35-22-57) is the best on the line, and perhaps in all of college hockey. He can score in a variety of different ways, but perhaps his best asset is his shot. It's a heavy wrister, and he has very good accuracy. Malone (13-23-36) is the muscle of that group (but don't be surprised if Frattin knocks you over), and can score some gritty goals. Trupp (16-21-37), as displayed at the Final Five on Friday, is VERY good with the puck. He has excellent hand-eye coordination. Our second line is normally Gregoire, Knight and Hextall. Gregoire (24-17-41) was out this past weekend, but according to the coaches should be back this weekend. That will be a big boost, as Gregoire is the 2nd leading goal scorer for the Sioux, and has been on fire of late. Knight (13-29-42) has had a very quiet but very productive sophomore campaign. He is a solid all-around player and has a knack for finding his teammates (leads the team in assists). Hextall (12-14-26) has had a mildly disappointing season, but has a very lethal shot. He has also come on strong towards the end of the year, scoring 20 of his points since the break (10g, 10a). It will be interesting to see who the Sioux put on their third line. It will almost assuradely be centered by Freshman Brock Nelson (7-12-19). Nelson has been a much different player since coming back from the World Junior's, scoring 14 of his 19 points since then (5g, 9a). My best guess is that Danny Kristo (7-18-25) will find himself on this line well. Kristo was playing amazing before his injury that kept him out most of the 2nd half. He scored 13 points in 12 games (4g, 9a). Kristo came back for this past weekend and put up 2 goals and an assist. For the other winger on that line, my best guess is it will be between Rodwell (5-4-9), Rowney (3-2-5) or Dickin (1-1-2). Rodwell and Rowney were out for this past weekend, while Dickin has only played in 8 games since joining the team midway through. If I had to pick, assuming he was healthy, I would say Rowney would get the spot. There is also the possibility that either Joe Gleason (1-3-4) or Jake Marto (7-11-18) could be put there. Both Gleason and Marto are defensemen, who have played at forward at different times during the stretch run. As for our 4th line, it will be centered by Mario Lamoureux (2-13-15). If Lammy scores a goal, the Sioux are nearly unbeatable (I forget our exact record, but I don't think we've ever lost when Lammy scores a goal). Senior Brent Davidson (5-2-7) has been playing the best hockey of his career at UND over the past month. He has proven to be an effective grinder, and has recently found his scoring touch. Davidson has 4 goals and 1 assist over the past 8 games. The other winger on that line will most likely be one of the previous forwards/defensemen that were mentioned. Overall, North Dakota is deep with talent. While our first two lines generally do the scoring, over the past month or so, the third and fourth lines have provided an extra boost. Also, with the return of Danny Kristo, the Sioux have perhaps the best third line in all of college hockey.

Defense: Ranked 5th Nationally at 2.22 goals/game
                            North Dakota is extremely deep at the blue line. We have arguably 8 top four defensemen. The top pairing this past weekend was Ben Blood and Derek Forbort. Blood (6'4", 235lbs) is a Junior, and led the nation in +/- (+34). Forbort (6'5", 200lbs) is a Freshman and was on the World Junior team as well this year. Both are solid in the defensive zone, strong on the puck, and don't take too many penalties. The second pairing was Andrew MacWilliam (6'2", 220lbs) and Chay Genoway (5'9", 177lbs). While Genoway gets most of the press, MacWilliam has developed into an animal you might say. Genoway, while not the biggest defensement ever, is very quick, solid with the puck, and transitions into the offense extremely well. He is our top scoring defensemen with 6 goals and 26 assists. The third pairing is Derrick Lapoint (6'3", 205lbs) and Dillon Simpson (6'2", 205lbs. Lapoint is a Senior and provides a tremendous amount of leadership, along with being very strong in his own zone. Simpson has been everything you could ask for from a Freshman blueliner. He has matured tremendously throughout the season and should be a very high draft pick this summer. He has been a strong presence on the blueline, and has started to pitch in offensively as well. Our other two d-men were mentioned as Forwards. If one of the two plays this weekend at defense, it would most likely be Jake Marto. Marto is a senior with a ton of experience at the blueline. He is somewhat similar to Chay Genoway, and has very good offensive skills. Overall, the Sioux are solid and strong at the blueline. One thing I will point out though, is that the Sioux are prone to some bonehead mistakes. While we haven't seen that very often in the second half of the season, it was something that we saw a few too many times the first half.

Goalie:
                            Aaron Dell has been everything you could ask for from the guy who started the season as the backup. He has stepped up and played tremendously well. He leads the nation in wins with 28, and is second in GAA at 1.88. He has a respectable .921 save percentage, and has been very solid. He also showed that he is capable of stealing a game for the Sioux, especially this past Saturday, stopping 40 shots in helping North Dakota win the Broadmoor trophy 3-2 in 2OT. He's tied for third in the nation with 5 shutouts, and has been positionally very sound.

Special Teams:
                            North Dakota has been solid in both aspects, as they are 7th in both Powerplay and PK percentage. Be very careful for Matt Frattin on the powerplay. He typically plays the point, and with Brad Malone in front of the net for the screen, is extremely lethal. He leads the Sioux with 10 powerplay goals. 13 different players have scored a powerplay goal for the Sioux, including 7 with 4 or more. On the PK, the Sioux are very aggressive. They have 9 SHG on the season, and are generally in your face. This does open them up to a team that can move the puck quickly and accurately (see first CC goal on Friday as evidence). Dell has been solid when he has needed to, and, more than anything, has been positionally sound.

The North Dakota Fighting Sioux are a very deep team. There are 10-12 players that are threats to score on any shift, and are capable of rolling 4 lines the entire game. The Pony Express line is the most lethal, but the Sioux have shown that they are still capable of winning even when that line doesn't score. They have a very strong Defense, and solid goaltending. There isn't much of a weakness on the team. As is the case in any tournament situation, the Sioux will need to play to their ability if they want to advance. At this point in the season, one bad game, even one bad period or shift can be the end of the season. Hopefully the Sioux are able to play to their abilities.
                            North Dakota

Comment

That sounded pretty assumptive on your part. It's not about the match-ups we want. Like last season, Michigan had Miami in the Midwest regional final a week after beating them in the CCHA semi-final. Just how the pairwise worked. Besides, if Denver was switched with Union out east, they'd play UM-D. If they were switched with Michigan in St.Louis, they'd get UNO. Of course we always want our team to be paired with what is deemed to be "the best match-up". If you think switching with Merrimack and getting Notre Dame then Miami/UNH would have been easier, you're mistaken. Merrimack as good as they are, may find that out.

WMU will give Denver a good run. I think Denver's skill and size will wear the Broncos down, but if WMU gets out to a lead, they make it really difficult to come back on. From what I saw from RPI last season, they capitalize on their chances. Don't leave Polacek alone. They had more options last season offensively, but he is the man. Their goaltender is good also.

I agree. One game at a time. If you look past any team at this time of year, then, well, you lose to someone like RIT. I'm pretty confident that DU learned their lesson last year and will not take the attitude of "can't wait to play UND after dispatching this 'lesser' team". I would hope that our fans took in the same lesson as well.

Comment

I was curious... when was the last time a team went from not a TUC and out (to eliminate getting in as an autobid) to in the tournament at-large?

Comment

Working...
                                X