Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For ECAC Fans: Where Should Our Tournament Be Held?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: For ECAC Fans: Where Should Our Tournament Be Held?

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Yes, but when was the last time you went to Utica? Before or after GE skipped town?
    I'm a Merrimack fan, but I've seen my share of ECAC games. Usually try to make it to Harvard a few times a year when MC isn't playing. My assumption has always been that Clarkson, St. Lawrence, Cornell and RPI have the best traveling fanbase. Why would the tournament not be somewhere in the vicinity of those teams like Albany? I know Albany has it's drawbacks, but it has a bunch of hotels right near the arena. I've been there for Frozen Fours and regionals. There was a Jillian's right nearby where everyone went to watch the other games being played. Albany is also relatively close to Dartmouth, Yale and Harvard, at least compared to Atlantic City. Union has a team on the rise and Colgate gets to the playoffs often enough. Seems silly to not have the tournament in upstate NY somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
      Stop making sense.

In all seriousness though, I think it would be awesome to have the ECAC Tourney at the Garden. I know it's unlikely and nearly impossible, but I would love to see it some day.
      I'll bet we could get HE to agree to ECAC semi's on Thurs, HE on FRI and a doubleheader finals on Saturday. Could be just the reason we need to jettison the 3rd place game.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        Yes, but when was the last time you went to Utica? Before or after GE skipped town?
        I said Lowell not Utica. I was in Utica the weekend of Freakout! I grew up in the area. It's a nice place to live if you have a good job. It's not a great place to visit and the Aud is a bad choice. I actually replaced the seats there once as a summer job!
        Last edited by jmhusker; 03-22-2011, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
          I'll bet we could get HE to agree to ECAC semi's on Thurs, HE on FRI and a doubleheader finals on Saturday. Could be just the reason we need to jettison the 3rd place game.
          Sorry, I should have clarified. I was talking about the real garden: Madison Square Garden.
          LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

I said Lowell not Utica. I was in Utica the weekend of Freakout! I grew up in the area. It's a nice place to live if you have a good job. It's not a great place to visit and the Aud is a bad choice. I actually replaced the seats there once as a summer job!
            OK, I think we were reading two completely different parts of the original message. I have to drive through it to get to RPI home games.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post

I think Atlantic City fell even further on those attributes. At a minimum it was no better than Albany.
              Don't disagree. Sometimes the unknown is comforting relative to the known.

Comment

Won't happen but it would be a great time.

Comment

Sounds eerily familiar...as if this has been done before.
                  Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eph72 View Post
                    Two, in particular, that are very steep and on the list are the Izod in the Meadowlands and the Hartford Civic Center (can't remember what its called today).
                    FYI...the arena in Hartford is now called the XL Center (name changed in 2007). Agganis is also very steep and has excellent sightlines (I realize it's not big enough, I'm just saying)...the back row is only 60 feet from the ice. The footprint was designed that way to get the fans closer to the action.

Comment

• Re: For ECAC Fans: Where Should Our Tournament Be Held?

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                      I can appreciate the architecture, but that "curtain" just didn't speak hockey to me. Others may have liked it, but I found it gaudy and a bit distracting. The building did nothing to make me feel like I was at a hockey game.
                      The building actually has a long history with hockey. It had special significance for me because my Dad used to watch games there in the 40's (and also because I sang there at the Bicentennial Celebration in 1976).

Strange but true: the Liberty Bowl in 1964 was held in that building, the first indoor bowl game and the first college football game on national TV:

*****http://www.msnsportsnet.com/content/LibertyBowl62305.jpg******
                      Last edited by Kepler; 03-23-2011, 02:00 PM.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        *****http://www.msnsportsnet.com/content/LibertyBowl62305.jpg******
                        Well, if they use this same end-wall treatment I might consider giving it a second chance!
                        Quinnipiac Bobcats
                        2023 National Champions
                        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                        ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                        East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                        Northeast Regional:
                        West Regional: 2015, 2021
                        Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                        Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

I believe the building also contains the worlds largest pipe organ.
                          YALE HOCKEY
                          2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                            I believe the building also contains the worlds largest pipe organ.
                            Right, though it was being repaired/renovated while we had our tourney there...
                            Dartmouth College: NCAAs 1948 1949 1960 1979 1980
                            University of Massachusetts: NCAAs 2007, ECAC Div. II Champs 1972

"When in doubt, use brute force." -- Ken Thompson

Comment

If they are willing to try Atlantic City, then I would think Syracuse would be a good choice, even if for the sole purpose of seeing how Syracuse would think about their college(no, not Le Moyne!) joining the hockey ranks.

Actually, if they are willing to try Atlantic City, then why not Pittsburgh or Portland, Maine. =]

Comment

Originally posted by CornwallAce View Post
                                If they are willing to try Atlantic City, then I would think Syracuse would be a good choice, even if for the sole purpose of seeing how Syracuse would think about their college(no, not Le Moyne!) joining the hockey ranks.

Actually, if they are willing to try Atlantic City, then why not Pittsburgh or Portland, Maine. =]
                                At least the ECAC has a college in the state of New Jersey...

Also, SU already is in the hockey ranks. Granted it's the women's team only, but it's still a start. Plus, if Syracuse were to be used, it'd be tough having to schedule around the Crunch, since really the only place to play is the War Memorial; I sincerely doubt Baldwinsville is near large enough, and Tennilly is REALLY small, heck it seemed full for a women's game.
                                Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 03-24-2011, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X