Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For ECAC Fans: Where Should Our Tournament Be Held?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: For ECAC Fans: Where Should Our Tournament Be Held?

From what I heard, anywhere but Atlantic City.

Player interviews all said, "bad ice, hot in here." At least the ice in Albany isn't awful.
    I haven't been on here in a year...
    Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

For those that have been mentioning the Glens Falls Civic Center, that would not work. There are the New York State High School Basketball Championships played there every year the same weekend as the ECAC Championship Tournament takes place. The basketball tournament includes a three day event with several different basketball games stretching from morning until night. I actually would love for the tournament to come to Glens Falls as this would be a good fit as well. But I'm afraid it just would never work out because clearly neither major tournament would be able to just switch weekends.
      Last edited by Saints#1; 03-20-2011, 06:47 PM.
      St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
      4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
      2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
      16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
      9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
      2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Originally posted by letsgoU View Post
        ... Let me throw the Prudential Center in Newark and Manchester NH on the list. While neither is a great fit, I think they would both draw more fans than Atlantic City. It would be a huge gamble to play in a NHL arena in Newark, but since its close enough to New York and closer to schools I imagine more people would go than went to Atlantic City. It also would be nice to put the league on equal footing to the WCHA, CCHA and Hockey East, who all play in NHL arenas.
        Bothman also suggests thinking about Boston and New York City.

Putting Manchester aside for the time being, I think Newark/New York City and Boston both have a lot of pros (as well as plenty of cons). I have been reluctant to go too deeply into the New York question, because it seems too daunting for our little league which can't sell out in Albany or Atlantic City.

Nevertheless there are five (including the now under construction Barclays Center) world class or nearly world class arenas in New York metro. Here is a list and description, just to get the creative juices ruminating. How cool would it be to play the ECAC finals on a Saturday night in MSG or the Rock in front of 15,000. Well, we can dream. The following has been cobbled together from Wikipedia.

Madison Square Garden

Often abbreviated as MSG and known widely as The Garden, Madison Square Garden is a multi-purpose indoor arena in the New York City borough of Manhattan and located at 8th Avenue, between 31st and 33rd Streets, situated on top of Pennsylvania Station. For hockey, the Garden seats 18,200.

The present Garden hosts approximately 320 events a year. It is the home of the New York Rangers of the NHL, the New York Knicks of the NBA, and the New York Liberty of the WNBA, which are, like the arena itself, owned by Madison Square Garden, L.P. The Big East Conference men's basketball tournament has been held at MSG every year since 1983 making it the longest period a conference tournament has been held at a single location. Other regular events include the Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus when it comes to New York City, selected St. John's men's Red Storm (college basketball) games, the annual pre and postseason NIT tournaments, the NBA Draft, the Millrose Games track and field meet, the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, New York Titans lacrosse games, and the 2004 Republican National Convention. It has previously hosted the 1976, 1980 and 1992 Democratic National Conventions, and hosted the NFL Draft for many years. In addition, many large popular-music concerts in New York City take place in Madison Square Garden. For hockey, the Garden seats 18,200. Because all of the seats, except the top level, are in one monolithic grandstand, horizontal distance from the arena floor is significant from the ends of the arena. Also, the rows rise much more gradually than other North American arenas, which can cause impaired sight lines, especially when sitting behind tall spectators or one of the concourses. This arrangement, however, also creates a significant advantage over newer arenas in that seats have a significantly lower vertical distance from the arena floor.

Prudential Center

Prudential Center is a multi-purpose indoor arena in the central business district of Newark, New Jersey. Opened in 2007, it is the home of the National Hockey League's (NHL) New Jersey Devils and the NCAA's Seton Hall Pirates men's basketball team. It is also the temporary home of the WNBA New York Liberty during the reconstruction of Madison Square Garden and of the NBA New Jersey Nets until the new Barclays Center opens in Brooklyn. The arena seats 17,625 for hockey. Fans and sports writers have nicknamed the Prudential Center "The Rock" in reference to the Rock of Gibraltar, the corporate logo of Prudential Financial, a Fortune Global 500 and Fortune 500 financial institution that owns the naming rights to the arena and is headquartered within walking distance.

The arena is located two blocks from Newark Penn Station in downtown Newark, just west of Newark's Ironbound district, making it easily accessible via New Jersey Transit, PATH, Newark Light Rail, and Amtrak. At the time of its opening, Prudential Center was the first major league sports venue to be built in the New York metropolitan area since the Brendan Byrne Arena, the Devils' former home, opened in 1981. It is hoped that Prudential Center might play an important role in the revitalization of Newark and it was announced on February 5, 2010 that Marriott will be opening a 150room Courtyard Marriott hotel connected to the arena, the first hotel to be opened downtown in 38 years.

Izod Center

Izod Center (formerly Brendan Byrne Arena and Continental Airlines Arena) is a multi-purpose arena, in the Meadowlands Sports Complex, in East Rutherford, New Jersey. It opened in 1981 and currently has a maximum seating capacity of 20,000. Because of the history of name changes, it is often referred to as Meadowlands Arena. It is primarily used for sports, concerts and other various shows and events. It was formerly home to the New Jersey Nets of the NBA, the New Jersey Devils of the NHL, and the Seton Hall Pirates of the NCAA. They have since moved to the Prudential Center in nearby Newark. Izod Center currently hosts part of the Fordham Rams' men's basketball schedule. The arena attracts spectators and fans from the New Jersey and New York metropolitan areas.

Barclays Center

The Barclays Center is a sports arena currently under construction in Brooklyn, New York City. The arena is being built partly on a platform over the Metropolitan Transportation Authority-owned Vanderbilt Yards at Atlantic Avenue. It is part of a proposed $4.9 billion sports arena, business and residential complex. The arena is intended to serve as a new home for the National Basketball Association's New Jersey Nets, currently based at Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey.

The arena was first announced to open in 2006, with the rest of the complex to follow; however, various controversies have delayed the project. The project is being developed by developer Forest City Ratner, who acquired the Nets in 2004, with the purpose of moving them from New Jersey to this site near the Atlantic Avenue-Pacific Street New York City Subway station and the Long Island Rail Road's Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn, one of the most transit-accessible locations in the city. The move would mark the return of major league sports to Brooklyn, which has been absent since the departure of the Dodgers to Los Angeles in 1957. Groundbreaking for the project occurred on March 11, 2010.

Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum

The Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, commonly known as Nassau Coliseum or simply The Coliseum, is a multi-purpose indoor arena in Uniondale, New York. Home to the New York Islanders of the National Hockey League, the Coliseum is located approximately 19 miles east of New York City on Long Island. Opened in 1972, the Coliseum occupies 63 acres of Mitchell Field, site of a former Army and Air Force base. The facility is located in an unincorporated area of the Town of Hempstead, within the town of Uniondale. The Coliseum currently seats 16,250 for hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
          bad ice
          It was actually comical to watch that young kid skate around the ice pushing a squeegee to move all the excess water that never froze.

Last night they couldn't remove one of the goal pegs. After several long minutes someone got a small pick hammer and chiseled away until they got it out. When they put the net back they came out with a bucket of ice scrapings to fill the hole made by the pick.
          Quinnipiac Bobcats
          2023 National Champions
          ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
          ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
          East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
          Northeast Regional:
          West Regional: 2015, 2021
          Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
          Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Step 1: Get rid of Hagwell. He simply isn't getting the job done

Step 2: Have the new brass pick a place other than Albany or Atlantic City. The schools in the league are small so the the league will have to go after Alumni to fill buildings. I say anywhere on the I-95 corridor between (and including) NYC and Boston is the logical choice. Travel is convenient, either by car or train, and between Boston and NYC, there should be enough alumns to give the tournament a chance to do well.
            2008-2009 ECAC Pick The Standings Contest Champ!

Comment

I have several thoughts...1) We need to recognize that AC has the tournament for 2 more years, and it does ECAC Hockey little good to lament the choice and tear down the venue. I am not a gambler and have little interest in going to a place like AC, unless it could be marketed for aspects other than the gambling to prospective attendees. Now, I am not sure what that would be, but I am sure the wise heads who chose this venue could come up with a few. 2) I agree with MarkEagleUSA. College Hockey fans are a tight little circle of people who like nothing more than to socialize and talk hockey with other fans. The ECAC would be well served by setting up an area to eat (good food) and drink inside the arena. It might encourage fans to hang around after the first game, or come in early before the second game and provide more of a community feel to the arena. 3) Cornell and BU have played each other at MSG during Thanksgiving weekend in 2007 and 2009 and both games were near or complete sell outs, so college hockey can succeed in a large arena if it is promoted properly. Now I realize that this is a specific game promoted to two of the larger fan bases in the country approximately a year in advance, and that is quite different than selling tickets to a tournament that your team MIGHT be playing in, but HE sells out TD Garden each year and there is no guarantee that a specific team will advance to the Final 4 that play at the Garden. If AC is worth a gamble (no pun intended) than might MSG be worth a gamble if the cost of renting the building is reasonable? 4) I also agree with KDiff77 about Providence. Of all the mid-size cities with mid-size arenas that have been mentioned in this thread, Providence is by far the nicest city in terms of restaurants and other amenities, and it is quite accessible to Boston for those fans who would want to spend time in a major tourist city as part of their weekend experience. I attended the 2003 NCAA regional at the Dunk (although I'm not sure it was called that then) and I remember the building being full, or nearly full for the Regional Championship game. 5) I don't think it would be a good idea to have the final 4 at the home rink of the top ranked school. All of these arenas are small (Dartmouth, Cornell,RPI) to quite small (Union, Princeton) in size. Although the games would likely be sold out, the ticket logistics would be a nightmare, and the issue of proximity to all schools in the conference could be a serious problem as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Union93 View Post
                Step 1: Get rid of Hagwell. He simply isn't getting the job done

Step 2: Have the new brass pick a place other than Albany or Atlantic City. The schools in the league are small so the the league will have to go after Alumni to fill buildings. I say anywhere on the I-95 corridor between (and including) NYC and Boston is the logical choice. Travel is convenient, either by car or train, and between Boston and NYC, there should be enough alumns to give the tournament a chance to do well.
                Response to Step 1: How can you blame Hagwell? Decisions are made by a vote of 12 AD's and 12 coaches. Mr. Hagwell will then facilitate the majority vote.

Response to Step 2: The schools in the league ARE the league. Therefore, in saying that "the league" will have to go after alumni, I will translate that you mean each institution should be responsible for their own alumni, which seems logical, yet, the wheel has been invented. I am sure that this has already been in conversation.

There are only a few schools that travel well.....just check out the regular season games attendance. Heck, there are some teams that don't draw well at home as it is. I was in Atlantic City and I thought it was fine. Need more fans....ok. How about no TV. That way you can't sit at home and watch....will that draw more fans? What is more important, TV exposure or more fans? I will tell you that it was tough to sit through the championship game. I commend both teams (Cornell in particular) for being disciplined for the entire game. No one took any cheap shots and played the game out. Also, I agree with you in regards to Albany.....why mention Albany....we tried it and it failed.....so take it off the list.
                Last edited by hockeymascot; 03-20-2011, 08:17 PM.
                Like a turkey at Thanksgiving, I'm stuffed

Comment

Originally posted by cornellgradyalefan View Post
                  College Hockey fans are a tight little circle of people who like nothing more than to socialize and talk hockey with other fans. The ECAC would be well served by setting up an area to eat (good food) and drink inside the arena. It might encourage fans to hang around after the first game, or come in early before the second game and provide more of a community feel to the arena.
                  Exactly. Make it an enjoyable experience for the fans and they will come. Herding us into a building with subpar concessions and not allowing us to leave and return is a slap in the face of the dedicated fans who follow ECAC hockey IMHO.

Originally posted by hockeymascot View Post
                  Decisions are made by a vote of 12 AD's and 12 coaches.
                  Is it the AD's or school presidents? I was led to believe that the AC decision was voted on by the presidents, but I may have misunderstood. Either way, it's surprising to me that any of the schools, especially the Ivies, wanted anything at all to do with AC and all it's "baggage".

How about no TV. That way you can't sit at home and watch....will that draw more fans? What is more important, TV exposure or more fans?
                  I think the TV exposure is necessary to sell the league to the rest of the hockey world. Personally, I do not think this years TV coverage had any direct relationship on attendance at the event... it's been clear since Albany last year that many longtime "regulars" weren't going to AC, period.
                  Quinnipiac Bobcats
                  2023 National Champions
                  ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                  Northeast Regional:

Comment

The ECAC really knows how to write an article.
                    Originally posted by Eph72 View Post
                    Here is an article from the local Atlantic City newspaper trying to put a positive spin on things, including a nice little dis on Albany:

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/s...8a1f7bb41.html

Allain tries to spin it, too, saying: "It's such an interesting, historical building. It's neat for our guys to play in this environment. Even though the building wasn't full - it wasn't a championship atmosphere with the crowd - it was an exciting atmosphere. Our kids enjoyed playing in it."

Comment

I think the reception/concession/party/food area at one end of the arena is a great idea.

"The fans of this league are passionate," said Jeffrey Vasser, executive director of the Atlantic City Convention & Visitors Authority, and a Cornell graduate. "I think it's something that could build. People want to see if their team will get in the final."
                      Every time we read something about Atlantic City another little nugget of info unearths itself. First it was "Atlantic City?? You're kidding." Then "we got the arena for free"......which led us to........ "The arena paid us" and now in the above little quote from the news article we find...... "Executive Director, Cornell Grad". Is this the old boy network at work again???

The tournament's Atlantic City debut also created an opportunity for some fans to reacquaint themselves with the resort
                      This is a real beaut!!!!!!! I had to grab my thesaurus to see if "den of iniquity" and "resort" were substitutes for each other!!

I agree with some of the comments that we are stuck here for two more years so let's make the best of it and certainly edible food and a social or party area on one end of the arena (I wasn't there so I'm going on others descriptions) sounds like a step in the right direction. If all you could get was the typical arena fare of hot dogs and pretzels let's get another vendor or two in there with some variety.
                      Other thoughts might be designating a restaurant or bar or two as "official" nite spots for fans to mingle after the game. If we really evolve they could even do a function room at a hotel for schools and fans to mingle.

Having been to A/C several times on business (Borgata) over the last few years I incorrectly assumed the arena was off site away from the boardwalk. The fact it was located where it was does make it more advantageous to walk around and go to other places.
                      SLU

Comment

Since this thread is for ECAC Fans, I thought you might like to know that my podcast is interviewing Ken Schott from The Daily Gazette to talk about the 3 ECAC teams in the tournament and all things tournament. I am really excited to talk to Ken. Be a dear and follow him on twitter http://www.twitter.com/slapschotts

Some notes:
                        We do the podcast on Tuesday. It is said to come out every Wednesday but we post on Tuesday night when everything is finished.

I have been a fan of college hockey for twenty years. I went to Fredonia St. where I often did reporting on the team there. My best friend played at Elmira, and my brother will begin his career at Yale in the fall. I have been following the USHL the last few years and know most of the Freshman in college hockey. I hope I can give ken a good interview.

Here are some links

http://www.sports-casters.com
                        http://www.facebook.com/thesportscasters
                        http://www.twitter.com/sports_casters
                        http://thesportscasters.blogspot.com
                        http://www.sports-casters.com

http://www.twitter.com/sports_casters

thesportscasters@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                          I agree with some of the comments that we are stuck here for two more years so let's make the best of it and certainly edible food and a social or party area on one end of the arena (I wasn't there so I'm going on others descriptions) sounds like a step in the right direction. If all you could get was the typical arena fare of hot dogs and pretzels let's get another vendor or two in there with some variety.
                          This seating chart gives you an idea of the stage/open area at the end of the building. It's quite large and should offer enough room to provide an area to mingle and serve edible food.
                          *****http://www.boardwalkhall.com/images/a10.gif******
                          Reading the history of the building, it sounds like there might even be some other spaces (conference rooms, catering room, etc) where things could be done.

I incorrectly assumed the arena was off site away from the boardwalk. The fact it was located where it was does make it more advantageous to walk around and go to other places.
                          Boardwalk Hall is right next door to Trump Plaza and the main entrance is on the boardwalk so it was easy to get to.
                          Quinnipiac Bobcats
                          2023 National Champions
                          Northeast Regional:

Comment

Originally posted by brainof23 View Post
                            Since this thread is for ECAC Fans, I thought you might like to know that my podcast is interviewing Ken Schott from The Daily Gazette to talk about the 3 ECAC teams in the tournament and all things tournament.
                            Why Ken Schott? You might want to speak to the coaches involved, or the SID's, or radio voices of the teams for more credilble interviews!
                            Last edited by hockeymascot; 03-21-2011, 08:07 AM.
                            Like a turkey at Thanksgiving, I'm stuffed

Comment

Good Lord..Wakey !!!! The only place it's ever worked is historic Lake Placid !!! If you've ever been you would "NEVER" want it any other place.(three quarters to full too) Why don't they just make us happy ?
                              It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Although I wasn't in Atlantic City this year, I've been there before, and the location with including things to do is nice. Is it a bit out of the way? Yes, I would say so. Is the atmosphere sketchy? Absolutely. However, if you're really concerned about getting the most people in the door, then hold it at the highest remaining seed's home barn, similar to the women's tournament.

You're never going to be able to please everyone. I don't know of a better location at this time, so I'm just going to roll with the punches.

Comment

Working...
                                X