Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union Hockey Postseason Thread: Care to Dance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Union Hockey Postseason Thread: Care to Dance?

Congrats Union! It was a good run and there's nothing to be ashamed of.
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2023 National Champions
    ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
    ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
    East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
    Northeast Regional:
    West Regional: 2015, 2021
    Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
    Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      Tough break, guys. We'll try to hold up the Capital District pride. But just remember: you made it farther than 42 other teams.
      [Comment From FlagDUDE08FlagDUDE08: ]
      It took Union 18 years to even win a playoff series. I don't expect them to win a tourney game anytime soon.
      [Comment From FlagDUDE08FlagDUDE08: ]
      OK, wasn't sure if there were any RPI fans that went to root against Union or not...

You wish them well here but diss them in other places? Thats strange.

Comment

Two frames of mind for a Union fan:

1. The season is over and that's that.
        2. The past season is the beginning of a great program.
        "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
        Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
        The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
        Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

beginning...

Just hope the pros leave your goalie alone

Comment

A very sour end to an otherwise outstanding season. Considering how the rest of Union's season went, closing out on a three game slide is rather disheartening. And getting shutout in your last game of the year makes it even worse. For the nation's top power play team to go 0-for-9 on the power play is borderline unthinkable. Fairly or not, I fear this season will be at least somewhat tainted by these last three losses.

I didn't see the game, but going by the radio broadcast, Union just never seemed to really get going. It seemed like a frustrating game to see. Was it UMD? Was it just rust? Not to make excuses, but Union had only played three times in the past month. If they didn't have their game legs, maybe that's why. I know Leaman said they practiced well, but practices aren't games.

Anytime you win your league's regular season title and make the NCAA Tournament, you have a lot to hang your hat on. But this wasn't the happy ending everyone was hoping for. The good news a lot of talent comes back. This team is pretty young with only a few key seniors. If everyone else (and Leaman) come back as expected, and the incoming freshman show something, there's reason to think we could be back in the tournament a year from now.

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
              I didn't see the game, but going by the radio broadcast, Union just never seemed to really get going. It seemed like a frustrating game to see. Was it UMD? Was it just rust? This team is pretty young with only a few key seniors. If everyone else (and Leaman) come back as expected, and the incoming freshman show something, there's reason to think we could be back in the tournament a year from now.
              I didn't see the whole game but saw about half of it. The ESPN announcers felt UNO outworked and out hustled Union. From my perspective Union didn't really start to pick things up until the third period.
              The story of the game though was the PP's. UMD buried their chances and on the second goal scored almost immediately when the PP started. Union on the other hand was 0-9 on the PP which considering their success on the PP this year was surprising. That was their undoing as much as anything.

You, your team and your school have a lot to be proud of. It was your best season ever, first Cleary Cup, first NCAA tournament appearance.....that's a lot to build on. Believe me as a fellow ECAC fan we really wanted you to win today not just for your school but for our conference as well.

Your program is on the upswing and as you indicate if you have any talent at all coming in to add to what you have coming back then you will be a force to be dealt with in the years ahead.
              SLU

Comment

what a way to end a great season.....think tonight we beat ourselves....team just werent themselves...no crisp passing....tentative play..ineffective PP....not sure what was going on.....disappointing.....

but here is to a great year...ty to the team...esp seniors...the coaches....the staff....now the long wait begins......

rumor at the game today was that kinkaid is gone and quite possibly leaman....hope that is all it is...rumors.....

Comment

Nice season U! I was at the game and thought that Union came out strong, then for some reason UMD found a flaw in your game and took advantage. The refs were not kind to either team and really interrupted the flow of the game.
                  YALE HOCKEY
                  2013 National Champions

Comment

A really tough game to watch and I'm totally exhausted.. can't imagine how the players feel.. in the end Union was "out-Unioned" by UMD. The killer IMO was not scoring on the first 4(?) PPs and then UMD throws a puck at the net on their first PP and gets a deflection. The boys really started gripping the sticks tighter after that and just could not pick a corner when they had to. Still, have to give UMD plenty of credit. They were very quick and gritty and beat U to a lot of pucks.. U did not look sharp, but the Bulldogs definitely had something to do with that. Hopefully a big learning experience for the program and the returning players. Tough way for the seniors to leave.. will be very sorely missed.

And BTW.. Schott interviewed Kinkaid after the game and he said he is going to return next year, though when pressed if he was 100% on that he seemed to waffle a little.. hopefully its true but may depend on what kind of offer he gets.
                    Last edited by ADK11; 03-26-2011, 12:12 AM.
                    UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

What schools are seen as the biggest threats to woo Leaman away? Providence, maybe?

“Some of the people I want to talk to are with teams that are playing in the NCAA Tournament,” Driscoll said. “I have to wait until they are done to talk to them."

http://www.projo.com/pc/content/PC_h...5.15d04c7.html
                      Last edited by rdf8585; 03-26-2011, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by unionbob View Post
                        rumor at the game today was that kinkaid is gone and quite possibly leaman....hope that is all it is...rumors.....
                        If that is true that would be sad and a blow for Union and the ECAC. I just read the Providence Journal article and even if Leaman is one of the coaches under consideration it sounds like they have a lot of candidates.
                        The other thing is I don't think the Providence job is that much of a plum job compared to where he is now. Yes it's Hockey East but Providence has been a doormat for quite some time and has to compete with a lot of top notch programs.

If Kinkaid left that would be more shocking to me. Having followed college hockey for a number of years now goalies are the least predictable when it comes to success in the NHL. The list of players who left early and signed big contracts only to play in the minors a few years and then drop into obscurity is far larger by a MILE than the list of those who made it to the NHL. Yes some guys have long and serviceable careers in the AHL but I sure hope for Kinkaid's sake he has someone he can talk to (like Leaman) who will stress the value of an education at a quality school versus leaving early.
                        SLU

Comment

Kincaid's staying according to Pete Iorizzo http://www.timesunion.com/sports/art...am-1307687.php
                          Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
                            What schools are seen as the biggest threats to woo Leaman away? Providence, maybe?

“Some of the people I want to talk to are with teams that are playing in the NCAA Tournament,” Driscoll said. “I have to wait until they are done to talk to them."

http://www.projo.com/pc/content/PC_h...5.15d04c7.html
                            Harvard.

Comment

Union came out on fire in the first 10 minutes and had UMD on their heels. But they needed to deliver the KO. And when they couldnt, and then found themselves down 1-0 you could see their confidence shaken. And while I am sure Kincaid is very good - this was my first time seeing him play - i was not blown away. He gave up a number of rebounds, including one that resulting in PP goal #2, and while he made at least one game saving save he was bested by the UMD goalie, in my opinion.

Also, I there were two things I could not understand.

1. Why did it seem that Union ran out of gas in with about 10 min. left to go in the 3rd? Clearly, you could see UMD's confidence grow and the pep in their step pick up with a 2-0 lead but it seemed that Union was gassed. With a week off, and having only played 3x in the month I dont get it.

2. This is a coaching decision - why, with a PP, down 2-0 with 2:30 left in the game was the goalie not pulled? In fact, Union didnt empty the net until they were off the PP and there was only 1:30 left. It was like the Coach didnt want to lose 3-0 instead of going 100% all out to try and score and make a real finish of it. I dont know if he was questioned about this in the post-game, but he should have been. Didnt make any sense to me.

Union has 21 players coming back next year so there is no reason to think an NCAA bid isnt a reasonable goal. But the real question now facing Union fans, IMO, is how to take the program to the next level. A level where an NCAA bid isnt good enough - but rather where Union actually gets some swagger and expects to win. They didnt seem to expect to win to me yesterday, although I understand why not.
                              Let's go U!

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                                I just read the Providence Journal article and even if Leaman is one of the coaches under consideration it sounds like they have a lot of candidates.
                                The PC guys are talking about Bennett as a prime candidate.
                                Quinnipiac Bobcats
                                2023 National Champions
                                ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                                ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                                East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                                Northeast Regional:
                                West Regional: 2015, 2021
                                Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                                Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X