Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D-I Outlook for 2011-2012: Offseason Musings and Beyond

Originally posted by Bumbles View Post
    With that said, Cornell will be scary good next year- I have them as my preseason #1.
    Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
    2011 Cornell is 2006 UNH, 2008 Harvard, 2010 Mercyhurst -- good team, plowed through a weaker conference, plowed through a weak QF opponent thanks to their high seed, then wasn't able to re-elevate its game for the level of play in the Frozen Four.
    Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
    Cornell was supposed to be scary good this year and while they had a great regular season, I'm with Dave in believing that a weak ECAC led to their downfall. They didn't play anyone tough outside of Mercyhurst. A tougher regular season schedule might have helped them this weekend. Who's to really say? But you have to believe that BU was mentally and physically more prepared to play this game than Cornell.
    Perhaps it's premature to start this thread day before the NCAA final, but discussion was beginning in the BU/Cornell thread, and I didn't want it to get lost there. Plus watching the meal portion of the Kaz brunch just isn't that exciting.

The way I see it, the elite returning Olympians are concentrated on six teams next year, 4 in the WCHA: BU, Cornell, Wisconsin, UMD, Minnesota, N. Dakota.

If anyone seriously thinks Cornell or BU will win the national title next year, you have to ask yourself, who will push these teams in February in early March? Because the 4 WCHA teams are going to be pushed.

A big factor in Cornell's championship hopes is whether the young Dartmouth and Quinnipiac teams will continue to improve and become legit, solid teams who can play at an NCAA-tournament caliber level. Cornell in 2010 could compete in the NCAA final because the ECAC's top 3 were as strong or stronger than the WCHA's best 3, and Cornell will need that again. Same was true for the Harvard, Dartmouth, and Brown contenders earlier in the decade.

In the case of BU, BC was clearly an excellent sparring partner this season, but there's a more of a void next season. A Northeastern team with a rumored acquisition might be the best bet.

But in my opinion, if BU and Cornell are serious about winning the national championship, they should find a way to play each other February (hard for BU with the Beanpot midweek though). Harvard and UNH in 2008 should've done the same.
    Last edited by dave1381; 03-19-2011, 10:36 AM. Reason: see above

Re: D-I Outlook for 2011-2012: Offseason Musings and Beyond

Perhaps it's premature to start this thread day before the NCAA final, but discussion was beginning in the BU/Cornell thread, and I didn't want it to get lost there. Plus watching the meal portion of the Kaz brunch just isn't that exciting.

The way I see it, the elite returning Olympians are concentrated on six teams next year, 4 in the WCHA: BU, Cornell, UMD, Minnesota, UMD, N. Dakota.

If anyone seriously thinks Cornell or BU will win the national title next year, you have to ask yourself, who will push these teams in February in early March? Because the 4 WCHA teams are going to be pushed.

A big factor in Cornell's championship hopes is whether the young Dartmouth and Quinnipiac teams will continue to improve and become legit, solid teams who can play at an NCAA-tournament caliber level. Cornell in 2010 could compete in the NCAA final because the ECAC's top 3 were as strong or stronger than the WCHA's best 3, and Cornell will need that again. Same was true for the Harvard, Dartmouth, and Brown contenders earlier in the decade.

In the case of BU, BC was clearly an excellent sparring partner this season, but there's a more of a void next season. A Northeastern team with a rumored acquisition might be the best bet.

But in my opinion, if BU and Cornell are serious about winning the national championship, they should find a way to play each other February (hard for BU with the Beanpot midweek though). Harvard and UNH in 2008 should've done the same.
    Duluth fielding two teams next year?? Now that could be scary....
    The WCHA Dynasty
    Wisconsin
    National Championships: 2011,2009,2007,2006; Runners Up: 2012, 2008
    MOP Winners: Bauer (07), Duggan (11), Knight (11), Vetter (06, 09)

Minnesota
    National Championships: 2012, 2005, 2004, 2000 (AWCHA); Runners Up: 2006
    MOP Winners: Darwitz (05), Killewald (00), Raty(12), Wendell (04)

Minnesota-Duluth
    National Championships: 2010, 2008, 2003, 2002, 2001; Runners Up: 2007
    MOP Winners: Blais (10), Martin (08), Ouellette (03), Rooth (01)

Comment

Originally posted by WHKY blogger View Post
      Duluth fielding two teams next year?? Now that could be scary....
      Oops, obviously meant Wisconsin. They're almost indistinguishable from UMD in terms of their national titles.

Comment

Oops, obviously meant Wisconsin. They're almost indistinguishable from UMD in terms of their national titles.
        Not yet.

Comment

Originally posted by WHKY blogger View Post
          Duluth fielding two teams next year??
          Might as well....its not like UM is doing anything spectacular for the confrence these days. *****http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/8164/marchmellow.gif******
          (where the heart beats)

bleep.

Comment

Originally posted by RStarr View Post
            Might as well....its not like UM is doing anything spectacular for the confrence these days.
            Up until their quarterfinal loss to BC Minnesota's non-conference record this year was 5-0, outscoring Clarkson (2), Wayne State (1) and Harvard (2) by a combined 16-2. And look for Minnesota to be improved next year - they are not losing as much as UMD or Wisconsin.

Besides, Goldy is a kind of cute, and you may decide to adopt the Gophers as one of your favorite teams.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I think in the WCHA, you'll see much typically intense competition throughout the regular season. There are some considerable losses of experience and leadership for a couple powerhouses...but they will still have a lot of talent on their rosters and I'm pretty sure will remain in the picture at the top of the conference standings.

At this point, I'd predict MSU and SCSU remain towards the bottom of the standings. I'm not sure the Beavers will keep the pace, and stay in the picture for as long as they did in 2010-2011...it'll be more difficult for them to duplicate that success I think, some pretty key losses for them as well, Cody in particular.

I can't explain the season the Buckeyes had with their talent...I expected better from them, and would expect a bit of a rebound / improvement next season...and a better finish ultimately. I guess I might still have concerns in the GA category if I were a Buckeye fan.

UND obviously made a huge step forward in 2010-2011 with significant improvement. They're adding a truckload of talent and losing virtually nothing to graduation. I think they'll be a tough out for everyone in the conference next season. I already completely expect them to hang tightly with the conference leaders.

Minnesota has some talented players joining the roster...and the expected return of Emily West is large. Hopefully she's 100% and ready to go. Minnesota will also have some seasoned experience and leadership both up front and on the blueline to go with a nice rookie crop. I hope for a stronger start and improved consistency. They really should be capable of putting three strong lines together with their group of forwards.

Tomcikova, Rigsby, Harss & Räty...some pretty solid goaltending coming back in the conference. A position that could be a question mark for some others.

I don't really have a fresh picture of all incoming frosh outside of the Minnesota class. Sylvester for UW and Kuehl for OSU are nice additions. I'm sure there are several more whose impact will be noticeable. Oh yeah, Miss Marvin for the Sioux...and some Europeans I'm less familiar with, but have the pedigree, hence my thoughts on the Sioux for 2011-2012.
              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                Besides, Goldy is a kind of cute, and you may decide to adopt the Gophers as one of your favorite teams.
                How's Goldy's busted nose doing?

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  Up until their quarterfinal loss to BC Minnesota's non-conference record this year was 5-0, outscoring Clarkson (2), Wayne State (1) and Harvard (2) by a combined 16-2. And look for Minnesota to be improved next year - they are not losing as much as UMD or Wisconsin.

how longs it been since Minny won a natty championship? its a good thing you have UMD and Wisco in your league or you wouldn't have the "strongest league ever" claim to fame.
                  (where the heart beats)

bleep.

Comment

Originally posted by RStarr View Post
                    how longs it been since Minny won a natty championship? its a good thing you have UMD and Wisco in your league or you wouldn't have the "strongest league ever" claim to fame.
                    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Harvard and UNH in 2008 should've done the same.
                      UNH in 2008? Really?

An argument can be made for 2006, but in 2008 the difference was that one goalie played amazing, and the other rather average.
                      113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Because I'm too nervous to think about the game tomorrow, I'm going to give a projection of my preseason top 10. Of course this list could easily change since the recruiting classes aren't complete yet. Let me know what you guys think.

1. Cornell
                        2. Minnesota
                        3. Wisconsin
                        4. UMD
                        5. BU
                        6. UND
                        7. BC
                        8. Mercyhurst
                        9. Northeastern
                        10. Clarkson

Comment

Because I'm too nervous to think about the game tomorrow, I'm going to give a projection of my preseason top 10. Of course this list could easily change since the recruiting classes aren't complete yet. Let me know what you guys think.

1. Cornell
                          2. Minnesota
                          3. Wisconsin
                          4. UMD
                          5. BU
                          6. UND
                          7. BC
                          8. Mercyhurst
                          9. Northeastern
                          10. Clarkson
                          Based on their history over the last six years, I think that one has to put Wisconsin at #1 until proven otherwise. The only question for them is how the Duggan void is filled, because she did so many things for them, but as they showed this weekend, they have a lot of options. Cornell took a wrong turn somewhere after the Mercyhurst win, and they'll need to avoid a repeat of that; beyond that, they may possess the most talent. Teams like UMD, Mercyhurst and BC graduate a lot of key performers. Sometimes we tend to look too hard at that, when the key is what they return. One of them likely challenges to host a quarter, and if it is UMD, then look out, because they host the F4. IMO, BU had a huge question in net coming into the season, and they face much less uncertainty in that corner next year. But the Terriers graduate 4 key seniors who provided a lot of leadership beyond their production. Minnesota has a lot returning, a strong recruiting class, and seemingly, no glaring weakness; the injury to West in week one showed a team's forturnes can change in a hurry. The Gophers played a bad period, which is how most will remember them through the offseason, but they showed the potential to go toe-to-toe with Wisco when they were on. UND takes another step, but it will be tough to get 4 WCHA teams into an 8-team field, so it will likely be at the expense of someone else. After those, I think either NU or PC makes the NCAAs next season, and somebody in the ECAC, likely Q or Harvard, rises to fill the void behind Cornell.
                          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

1. Cornell
                            2. Minnesota
                            3. Wisconsin
                            4. UMD
                            5. BU
                            6. UND
                            7. BC
                            8. Mercyhurst
                            9. Northeastern
                            10. Clarkson
                            Here is mine as it stands today, based on combined strength and returning players and recruits:
                            1 - Wisco
                            2 - Cornell
                            3 - BU
                            4 - Minny
                            5 - UMD
                            6 - ND
                            7 - Quinny
                            8 - NE
                            9 - Harvard
                            10 - PC

Comment

The season is going to start out almost the way it ended.
                              1. wisconsin
                              2. bu
                              3. cornell
                              4. umd
                              5. minnesota

The ranking won't change that much through the first quarter of the season.
                              Knight and Decker will keep wisconsin winning. Poulin will be a one girl wrecking crew for bu. Cornell will continue to enjoy comfy schedule both out of conference and in conference. At some points, Cornell will likely bubble up to take over #2 or #1 depends on how badly WCHA teams beat up on each other again.

But again, my crystal ball can be totally off

Comment

Working...
                              X