Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northeastern Huskies Offseason (Discipline: let's find it)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northeastern Huskies Offseason (Discipline: let's find it)

If it weren't for our slow start early season.. to think we'd have 4 Hockey East clubs in the NCAAs this yr. Well, behind us now...

even with that start, 2nd trip to the Garden in 3 yrs.. not all bad. In the end, good teams make it here.

Far as tonight, when you let the opponent score 3 PP goals in a gm (hint: discipline).. gotta start there first.. that is a glaring weakness that needs correction for nxt season. Coach got that part right even before the gm tonight.

However questionable the penalties in our semi-final gm at the Garden.. BC (i am sure), had their own set of bad calls as well. Even on our 5x3 opportunity in the 3rd.. we took a penalty right off the faceoff instead of just letting the Eagles clear it & having us go at it with min+ remaining on the 2 man advantage (not to mention wasting the team timeout).

Too many other examples throughout the season, from many. On a positive, someone like Cody Ferreiro really turned his discipline (and game) around. Some like Silva, Hewkin did not do as good a job. Yet they all skated with a ton of fight & heart. Some guys were disciplined from the beginning & hopefully that gets contagious and continues.

Anyway.. bottom line.. this offseason & into pre-season training and beyond, i am hoping (wishing) really..the coaching staff stress discipline & good decision making in the early games.. which will put our mindset (& standing), on solid ground for the latter part of the season.

Much as i'd like to blame it all on Rawlings tonight.. (and he certainly has his share), he never gets credit for the big saves he did make. BC scored 3 PP goals (2 on his watch).. but its the guys in front that need some self control & belief.. a refresher course really in sound 5x5 hockey. Sincerely wish the coaches stress that from the get go, going into nxt season. I think tonight the guys handled the discipline part 'in spurts'... (with no help from the zebras)..but the earlier gms in the season where discipline broke down..cost us a shot at some much needed 'W's & now we know.. the NCAAs.

With discipline (the missing magic ingredient really), this young team gelling on the powerplay, PP kill units & a starting rotation of Rawlings/ Witt (if the big man stays.. he will benefit from it)... this team will go far.

Perhaps Coach Cronin is used to the pro style too much but in the college gm, they do call it tight. The team will go to another level with the guys we have; the sooner a 'disciplined' style of skating is addressed.

All for now. Thanks Huskies for great fight & determinaion until the end (reg season, Beanpot, & post season). Sign of good things to come

G'luck to all (especially the Seniors).
    GO NU HOCKEY
    Always bullish on the future.
    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Re: Northeastern Huskies Offseason (Discipline: let's find it)

Besides goaltending, which is a serious question mark considering Rawlings' play in the "big" games this year, I think we are also lacking the scoring ability of other teams in HE going into next year. While our second line of Ferriero, Daniels, and Qualier was physical and had scoring opportunities down the stretch, they were not able to bury the puck that often. With the entire first line leaving this year, I am finding it hard to see where our scoring will come from unless Daniels and Quailer return to their Freshman form of a couple of years ago and this year's Freshmen class don't regress like others in the past. Great teams like BC and UNH dont have just one good scoring line, they have at least two or three. I don't know who Cronin has coming in next year, but this team needs playmakers and snipers, as well as a center who can consistently win those important faceoffs on the powerplay and in the offensive zone.
    "We just didn't get the lucky bounces..."

Comment

Rob Dongara should be a pleasant surprise nxt season. He can skate.. & he will score. I also think Mike McLauglin will have a great season & will be one of the leaders on the team. Do not forget Alex Tuckerman.. we should have him back as well.

Our goaltending (as i've mentioned).. should be okay long as we use a tandem & folks are on board with that. Rawlings just does not respond well in back-to-back-to-back gms. I think even though he (in many ways), was a key in our BU series win.. there was a tiredness to him that was so very apparent last night. Witt (having played seldom this season), looked sharp. I think we have 2 solid tenders.. let's use 'em to help the team.
      GO NU HOCKEY
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

I saw the thread title and thought it was about the coaching staff!
        Originally posted by mookie1995
        bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
        Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
        Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if Rawlings leaves...there have been rumors that he needs the money.

I'm pretty excited already for next season. Yes, we'll be losing our first line but I think this the most talented group of freshmen we've had in some time. Reid, Ferriero, Dongara, Pimm, Bitteto, Eibler and Oleksiak should all be productive players next year. Looking forward to seeing Adam Reid next year as well. Unfortunately, we'll have to wait another year to see Jon Gadreau but I guess that is good so it will give him time to get stronger (he's 5' 6'' 145).
          2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
          2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
            I wouldn't be surprised if Rawlings leaves...there have been rumors that he needs the money.

I'm pretty excited already for next season. Yes, we'll be losing our first line but I think this the most talented group of freshmen we've had in some time. Reid, Ferriero, Dongara, Pimm, Bitteto, Eibler and Oleksiak should all be productive players next year. Looking forward to seeing Adam Reid next year as well. Unfortunately, we'll have to wait another year to see Jon Gadreau but I guess that is good so it will give him time to get stronger (he's 5' 6'' 145).
            I have heard the same thing regarding Rawlings, I do not think it is a good decision unless he really needs the money. I think they have good players coming in on paper, but the lose of McNeely and McCloud will be very difficult to replace no matter who the have coming in.
            Husky Hockey heading to the top of the bottom!

Comment

Not that it has anything to do with it (it's offseason right?..), but to see VCU knock off another top seed today & make it to the sweet 16 in the Big Dance.. nice.

With George Mason losing today.. great to see someone from the Colonial conference still hanging in there.

Last time i saw VCU was last month when NU beat 'em 91-80 at Matthews.
              Never say never (even for bouncyball)..
              GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
                Agreed, I'm looking for Brodie Reid to become a big-time goal-scorer. The kid showed a natural ability to find the back of the net and once he got hot in the second half of the year it was like clockwork.

Of course, now I've officially jinxed him and he's predestined to injure himself in a preseason game against a Canadian school.

As far as the goaltending situation, I'm with the majority here that it has to be an open competition next year. Rawlings just didn't do enough down the stretch to cement his position. I certainly don't panic when he starts in goal for us and he was great at times for us this year, but it always seemd like if he let that first soft goal in, it was going to be a long night. That would seem to say something about his mental toughness. Maybe a roation with Witt to start the season would light a fire under his a** and we'd get to see Rawlings the competitor. Worst case scenario is that Witt outperforms him and earns more starts.

I'm pleased with the way the team turned it around this year and earned a reputation as being very difficult to play against.

Comment

Remimber when Matt Marshall backed out of NU and when to Vermont and everyone went nuts. In 84 career games spanning three years he has 5 goals and 14 points. Thank god he left.

Comment

Originally posted by steve66 View Post
                    Remimber when Matt Marshall backed out of NU and when to Vermont and everyone went nuts. In 84 career games spanning three years he has 5 goals and 14 points. Thank god he left.
                    We feel the same way about Cody Ferreiro!
                    Originally posted by mookie1995
                    bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                    Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                    Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                      We feel the same way about Cody Ferreiro!
                      Winning.
                      Originally posted by reBlur
                      the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Any word on next season's non league games? I hope there are some that will be worth going to.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                          Winning.
                          Fail.

Overused. When Bieber uses that phrase, it should be killed. Epic Fail my friend.
                          Originally posted by Bakunin
                          Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

Originally posted by Chickens@NU View Post
                            Fail.

Overused. When Bieber uses that phrase, it should be killed. Epic Fail my friend.
                            Hmm, it would seem that Chickens is not a Belieber.

Comment

Just in case people didn't see it. In a press release after the end of the regular season, Commissioner Joe Bertagna revealed next year's end of the season matchups.

http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/...103/mar7wr.php

We play @ bu / vs. bu to end the 2011-2012 season again on March 2nd and 3rd. All the other matchups change, ours doesn't, and next year is supposedly the start of a "new" 2 year cycle of scheduling.
                              -Adam

Northeastern Class Of 2010

Comment

Working...
                              X