Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northeastern Huskies Offseason (Discipline: let's find it)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Northeastern Huskies Offseason (Discipline: let's find it)

Originally posted by NUMcNeely View Post
    No, Mclaughlin next year as he is the only senior and works his butt off out there
    just because he is the only senior, it doesn't necessarily mean he will be captain... McNeely was a 2 year captain when there were a bunch of seniors on that team when he was a junior. And Qualier should be a senior if it wasn't for the knee injury...
    Originally posted by Bakunin
    Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

Very interested to hear Cronin's thoughts?
      Husky Hockey heading to the top of the bottom!

Comment

Wouldn't be surprised to see Quailer as a captain, chances are he might not be here into his last year if he really takes off next year. I don't think Oleksiak leaves, he could have played in the OHL this past year if he wanted to, he was already drafted. A guy like Oleksiak is better in college, when he has time to develop and grow, plus he's playing for the coach who oversaw Chara's development.

Vrolyk will be a 20 point player, he exploded late in 09-10 and got hamstrung this past year. Again, having the summer off for conditioning will be incredibly helpful for his development. Reid's going to be replaced by several players stepping up their game, not one person being great by themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by GoNU5 View Post
          Wouldn't be surprised to see Quailer as a captain, chances are he might not be here into his last year if he really takes off next year. I don't think Oleksiak leaves, he could have played in the OHL this past year if he wanted to, he was already drafted. A guy like Oleksiak is better in college, when he has time to develop and grow, plus he's playing for the coach who oversaw Chara's development.

Vrolyk will be a 20 point player, he exploded late in 09-10 and got hamstrung this past year. Again, having the summer off for conditioning will be incredibly helpful for his development. Reid's going to be replaced by several players stepping up their game, not one person being great by themselves.
          I am assuming you mean Olesiak got drafter in the OHL. The final ranking have him now as the #13 skater, I hope he comes back. I do not see what you see in Vrolyk, he is a grinding player, I don't see him getting 20 points. I am just so discouraged by Reid leaving, what is with these guys that can't wait to play in the AHL. Newton and Ried never playing in the NHL. NHL, NCAA need to change there system, hockey loses way to many guys to minor league careers. Baseball, once you step foot on the campus you are not eligible to be drafted until after your junior year, hockey needs something like that. This is not just killing NU, but its accross college hockey. Killing the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by steve66 View Post
            I am assuming you mean Olesiak got drafter in the OHL. The final ranking have him now as the #13 skater, I hope he comes back. I do not see what you see in Vrolyk, he is a grinding player, I don't see him getting 20 points. I am just so discouraged by Reid leaving, what is with these guys that can't wait to play in the AHL. Newton and Ried never playing in the NHL. NHL, NCAA need to change there system, hockey loses way to many guys to minor league careers. Baseball, once you step foot on the campus you are not eligible to be drafted until after your junior year, hockey needs something like that. This is not just killing NU, but its accross college hockey. Killing the sport.
            Problem with the baseball analogy is that players aren't drafted, they get signed as undrafted players. If anything having drafted players on our roster is better, since there's only one team there and not 30 clamoring for a player to make a jump.

My view on Vrolyk is why he was brought in, as a smaller goal-scoring type. He was expected to score 10 goals this year, but obviously didn't due to his injury. He and Reid are different offensive types, Vrolyk is a small speedy guy who scores on rushes and Reid is a slower player who scores on his cannon shot

Comment

Problem with the baseball analogy is that players aren't drafted, they get signed as undrafted players. If anything having drafted players on our roster is better, since there's only one team there and not 30 clamoring for a player to make a jump.

My view on Vrolyk is why he was brought in, as a smaller goal-scoring type. He was expected to score 10 goals this year, but obviously didn't due to his injury. He and Reid are different offensive types, Vrolyk is a small speedy guy who scores on rushes and Reid is a slower player who scores on his cannon shot
              I also don't see what you see in Vrolyk. At best I see Vrolyk having a Ryan Ginand-ish senior year. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him prove me wrong. I just don't see him having that kind of production offensively.

Comment

Originally posted by PPGuru View Post
                I also don't see what you see in Vrolyk. At best I see Vrolyk having a Ryan Ginand-ish senior year. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him prove me wrong. I just don't see him having that kind of production offensively.
                ..well, Ginand had 20 odd goals (30+ pts) his senior yr.. so if Vrolyk can have that kind of year.. that'd be great!
                GO NU HOCKEY
                Always bullish on the future.
                We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

What do you mean in baseball player saren't drafted? Draft age is 18, they get drafted and then they have the choice to go pro or go to school, but once they do they ar enot eligible for the draft again until after there junior year.

Comment

Originally posted by steve66 View Post
                    What do you mean in baseball player saren't drafted? Draft age is 18, they get drafted and then they have the choice to go pro or go to school, but once they do they ar enot eligible for the draft again until after there junior year.
                    Yes, but if a player in baseball is drafted, the team will lose the rights to the player unless they sign them to a professional contract. If that happens, they lose amatuer status. In hockey, you have one shot at entering the draft and if you get drafted, you can stay in school or go to school and that team keeps your rights unless they trade you. If you don't enter the draft or do not et drafted, you are an unrestricted free agent.
                    Originally posted by Bakunin
                    Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                      ..well, Ginand had 20 odd goals (30+ pts) his senior yr.. so if Vrolyk can have that kind of year.. that'd be great!
                      Yes, that was my point. It didn't happen for Ginand until his senior year. Esner was another player whose game elevated markedly in his senior year. I see Vrolyk as being someone who could have the same kind of notable leap in play in his senior year. It would be great!

Comment

John Gaudreau and Garrett Haar should be here next year, according to Heisenberg's website. Makes me feel a bit better about next year.

Comment

Are Gaudreau, Kovacs, Adam Reid (centers), Karlsson (wing), Haar, Oskroba, Renz (D) all coming next year? NU lost Guzior, MacLeod, McNeely, Brodie Reid and Silva up front. Tuckerman is back next season, so the forward numbers match up. Lose five, gain five. The only defenseman leaving is Hewkin. With three coming in, does that put a couple of the incumbents (Muench? Maley?) out of the program?

Comment

Originally posted by PPGuru View Post
                            Are Gaudreau, Kovacs, Adam Reid (centers), Karlsson (wing), Haar, Oskroba, Renz (D) all coming next year? NU lost Guzior, MacLeod, McNeely, Brodie Reid and Silva up front. Tuckerman is back next season, so the forward numbers match up. Lose five, gain five. The only defenseman leaving is Hewkin. With three coming in, does that put a couple of the incumbents (Muench? Maley?) out of the program?
                            Maley retired before the start of this past season. Muench is getting his degree in May and has said that he, too has planned for life after hockey. I expect that there will be at least one more forward. DK whether he'll be a recruit or a recruited walkon.

Three forwards are left shots and only Kovacs played center primarily. Gaudreau is an LW and when I saw Karlsson, he was playing RW. I don't know too much about Reid's game except that he's bigger that Quailer, but has been plagued by injuries during the past two seasons. Don't know what to expect fromhim, but if he can't stay healthy it doesn't matter if he's bigger than Oleksiak.

On a more topical subject:
                            HOCKEY BANQUET TONIGHT AT ARENA
                            DRINKING 5:30 TO 7 PM. Dinner/speechs/videos/awards 7 PM

Donation $60

If you have an interest in asking Jake Newton what he thinks about his decision to turn pro, you will have a chance tonight. Also, our seniors who turned pro will be in attendance as their teams failed to make the playoffs. JIM FAHEY is the FEATURED SPEAKER.

I'll be there. WHICH POSTERS ARE COMING??
                            Last edited by Ryecheers; 04-13-2011, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Had no idea.. guess you have to be on DHD to be on the 'mailing list'..
                              Would've considered it with a bit of notice.. regardless, pls do post your findings (hockey related.. if shareable).. after the event. Have fun
                              GO NU HOCKEY
                              Always bullish on the future.
                              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                                Had no idea.. guess you have to be on DHD to be on the 'mailing list'..
                                Would've considered it with a bit of notice.. regardless, pls do post your findings (hockey related.. if shareable).. after the event. Have fun
                                I'm on DHD and the first I heard of it was today too actually

Comment

Working...
                                X