Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northeastern Huskies Offseason (Discipline: let's find it)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies Offseason (Discipline: let's find it)

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
    Gaudreau is meeting with Madigan. Starting from scratch. Good sign. Madigan is a great seller.
    Thanks, it was me he was tweeting that to
    "We just didn't get the lucky bounces..."

Comment

Always doom and gloom.

Look, could this season be brutal? Yes. Everyone knows it. It's undeniable.
      Nope. This is not a rebuilding year, not all. Madigan is not inheriting the type of squad that Cronin did his first year. First, Madigan has possibly the best goalie in the league in Rawlings, a junior, and a guy who could be a good one in sophomore, Witt behind him. Cannot do any better then that. Cronin had two freshmen who stunk up the joint.

Madigan will get 4 good dmen, one of which, Bitetto is excellent and was the reason we won the playoff series at bu with the way he shut down Coyle's line. Kid if he stays to his junior year will be an All-America. If Madigan can come up with 1 more kid to play defense, we will be looking better there, not sure what the deal is with Renz yet.

The forwards are as deep as they could ever be, at least lines 1-9. Yes, they lost the seniors and Brodie, but they will be fine as Quailer will lead this team up front and probably be a first team Hockey East player. I am looking forward to seeing him reunited with McLaughlin and Tuckerman, as they were the end of 2009 where they combined to be a great second line behind the McNeely line. All three have been injured the past 2 seasons and have not had a chance to play together. (Tuckerman was supposedly ready to go at the end of last year, but Cronin held him back, so he could be really in shape and ready to go). Throw in Vinny S, two guys who really need to step up now in J. Daniles and Vermeesch and maybe did not click with Cronin, Vroylk who was hurt last year and is a great third line guy, and two guys who were playing better at the end of last year in Cody and Pimm.

This team will be picked for somewhere between 5-8, i see them somewhere between 4-7. They might have lost some freshmen, but freshmen you never know what you are get. Losing Jamie was the only real loss. It has left us thin on the blue line, but there are probably guys out there who Madigan can make a play for.

And good luck to Haar in the USHL. Leaving a chance to play at NU right away now vs. risk getting hurt or sucking in the USHL this season. Never has a guy drafted third to last (three picks better then me) thought of himself so highly to run away from a better level of play at a school where he could PP time right off the bat.

This is not, NOT, a rebuilding year. This is a continuing year. Hopefully like last year. Slow start building to a hot finish.

If this team does not make the playoffs, or even 8th place, with this roster in place, it will not be a good sign for the future with Madigan in charge. I expect a learning curve as the guy has not coached in 18 years, but I expect that a roster which is a veteran roster, to be able to help make up for that piece this year. Perhaps not having many freshmen in the lineup will actually help rather then hurt.

I am not even that interested in the guys we have lost so far. Its the guys coming in 12-13 who are even better that we need to stay committed. If Madigan can win enough this year, and keep those guys, I will feel we are in good hands.
      DogHouse Graduate 2001

Comment

“Coaching in a city like Toronto, which is just dripping with hockey, I thought is a wonderful opportunity,” Cronin said during the Leafs’ press conference. “The timing of this opportunity is just perfect for me, and I’m thrilled to be here in Toronto.”

Might be perfect for him, but horrible for the rest of us
        "We just didn't get the lucky bounces..."

Comment

Jim Madigan, ! I never never played with him, missed him by a year ..but he was an assistant coach for my last 3 years great choice! Great guy, great hockey mind and best of all a true blue NU guy! Nice job NU!
          Last edited by RossiRules; 07-27-2011, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskies01 View Post
            Nope. This is not a rebuilding year, not all. Madigan is not inheriting the type of squad that Cronin did his first year. First, Madigan has possibly the best goalie in the league in Rawlings, a junior, and a guy who could be a good one in sophomore, Witt behind him. Cannot do any better then that. Cronin had two freshmen who stunk up the joint.

Madigan will get 4 good dmen, one of which, Bitetto is excellent and was the reason we won the playoff series at bu with the way he shut down Coyle's line. Kid if he stays to his junior year will be an All-America. If Madigan can come up with 1 more kid to play defense, we will be looking better there, not sure what the deal is with Renz yet.

The forwards are as deep as they could ever be, at least lines 1-9. Yes, they lost the seniors and Brodie, but they will be fine as Quailer will lead this team up front and probably be a first team Hockey East player. I am looking forward to seeing him reunited with McLaughlin and Tuckerman, as they were the end of 2009 where they combined to be a great second line behind the McNeely line. All three have been injured the past 2 seasons and have not had a chance to play together. (Tuckerman was supposedly ready to go at the end of last year, but Cronin held him back, so he could be really in shape and ready to go). Throw in Vinny S, two guys who really need to step up now in J. Daniles and Vermeesch and maybe did not click with Cronin, Vroylk who was hurt last year and is a great third line guy, and two guys who were playing better at the end of last year in Cody and Pimm.

This team will be picked for somewhere between 5-8, i see them somewhere between 4-7. They might have lost some freshmen, but freshmen you never know what you are get. Losing Jamie was the only real loss. It has left us thin on the blue line, but there are probably guys out there who Madigan can make a play for.

And good luck to Haar in the USHL. Leaving a chance to play at NU right away now vs. risk getting hurt or sucking in the USHL this season. Never has a guy drafted third to last (three picks better then me) thought of himself so highly to run away from a better level of play at a school where he could PP time right off the bat.

This is not, NOT, a rebuilding year. This is a continuing year. Hopefully like last year. Slow start building to a hot finish.

If this team does not make the playoffs, or even 8th place, with this roster in place, it will not be a good sign for the future with Madigan in charge. I expect a learning curve as the guy has not coached in 18 years, but I expect that a roster which is a veteran roster, to be able to help make up for that piece this year. Perhaps not having many freshmen in the lineup will actually help rather then hurt.

I am not even that interested in the guys we have lost so far. Its the guys coming in 12-13 who are even better that we need to stay committed. If Madigan can win enough this year, and keep those guys, I will feel we are in good hands.
            Well put

Comment

Originally posted by Huskies01 View Post
              Nope.
              I literally said the exact same thing about how the doom and gloom is ridiculous...did you read the rest of my post at all?

Edit: Apologize if that comes off as jerkish but that is a huge pet peeve of mine.
              Last edited by SkinsFan09; 07-27-2011, 08:54 PM.
              Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
              Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

The Dog House is already being re-branded as Mad Dog House.
                Not officially

Comment

Originally posted by Satanic Husky View Post
                  Not officially
                  Didn't mean officially but people are starting to call it the Mad Dog House which is awesome. The students should be proud to have a Husky from the glory days behind the bench. A guy who has won conference titles, Beanpots and has made the Frozen Four.
                  Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                  Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Oh don't worry, we plan on displaying our approval during the first exhibition game.

Comment

Agreed, Huskies01. I think there is plenty of talent on this team for them to compete and compete well. I don't see this as a the-cupboard-is-bare type of rebuilding season. The defense is a little thin right now, no doubt, but there is still some time for Jim and Seb to make some moves and make some improvements. There is talk that we may be in on the kid involved with the Q and Haar is still a very remote possibility. I'm curious to see how things shake out but if this team finishes 7th or lower I will be disappointed.

Comment

Great to see that Gaudreau is at least going to talk to Madigan before deciding anything, I wish Kovacs and Haar did the same, but whatever, it's their choice. Haar sounds egotistical (The Caps wanted him to go to college but he turned down Western Michigan and UML), so I guess we'll see if he ever gets a better offer than our offer (doubtful).

I agree with what others have said here, this really isn't a rebuilding year with what we have coming back. I think some of our players were hampered by injuries and never really recovered, and I hope having the offseason will give them a chance to recover and come back great. Take a page out of McLaughlin's book, who went from 1 goal to 11. I think our offense will be a strength next year, our goaltending will be solid with Witt and Rawlings, and if we can get Renz and maybe another solid D-man we'll be fine on the blueline.

We still have all of August, I wouldn't be surprised if a few more crazy twists and turns happened.

Comment

If there's someone out there, don't underestimate Jim Madigan's political capital within the University to get a kid into school. With no offense to Cro, if Madigan goes to admissions and says "I'd like this student athlete to be given all considerations to be admitted." That holds a lot more weight than Cro trying to get the same kid in to school.

Call it a double standard, but Jim's earned the trust and respect of folks at Northeastern over 30 years. Cro (or any other coach at NU) could/can never have that.

Comment

Originally posted by Five Hole Cole View Post
                            If there's someone out there, don't underestimate Jim Madigan's political capital within the University to get a kid into school. With no offense to Cro, if Madigan goes to admissions and says "I'd like this student athlete to be given all considerations to be admitted." That holds a lot more weight than Cro trying to get the same kid in to school.

Call it a double standard, but Jim's earned the trust and respect of folks at Northeastern over 30 years. Cro (or any other coach at NU) could/can never have that.
                            You are correct about JM's political capital. He has the a Crater Lake of goodwill that he is built up over the years. If there was a presidential election race at NU, he'd be the frontrunner.

I am almost certain that Jim negotiated some additional bennies for the program before he signed on. In the past it has been Sebastien's role to act as the liaison between the team and the admissions office. He also watchs the players' academic progress. Who better to handle that role? Jimmy will spend his capital as he needs to. FYI Philly Mantella,the Sr. V.P. in charge of **** near everything except finance (She's Roby's boss) took a personal interest in the search process. AFAIK, she interviewed each candidate who came in last week. She also shows up at many games over the course of the year.

Comment

Didn't mean officially but people are starting to call it the Mad Dog House which is awesome...
                              Just my .02 but keep the Doghouse name as it is but let those who are "members" of it be known as the Mad Dogs.
                              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Didn't mean officially but people are starting to call it the Mad Dog House which is awesome.
                                I'm actually not a huge fan of the "Mad Dog House". I understand that after this offseason the Dog House is mad, but changing the name doesnt quite make sense, no need to change a classic IMO

As for our team for next year I think it will be a 4-9 spot team, if everything goes right, Rawlings/Witt stand on their collective heads, all the underacheivers step up, then we might slide into the 4 spot. On the other hand I could actually see the team missing the playoffs if Madigan can't motivate the team and they buy into the doom and gloom sob story that surrounds the program right now. Bottom line is the loss of freshmen in minor in comparison to the whole 1st line + Brodie + 1st Round NHL draft pick. The loss of these recruits will hurt more next year and the year after that when they would have been counted on to play a big role on the team. It makes Madigan's recruiting over the next 1-2 years even more important.

Comment

Working...
                                X