Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northeastern Huskies Offseason (Discipline: let's find it)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies Offseason (Discipline: let's find it)

Originally posted by Motorboaters View Post
    I cannot blame Oleksiak for leaving at all. This is what happens when the athletic department leaves the members of the team in flux. I talked to Anthony Bitetto a week ago and he also seemed frustrated with how long it was taking for the school to find a replacement. With all due respect to Laplante, if he gets the job I will be upset just for the fact that it took them this long to announce that an inside guy, who they probably pegged as their number one all along, will be running the show.
    You are correct in saying that we took too long, but the procedure that the U. uses is designed to insure that no candidate (read: minorities) is left behind. That may work well for many staff positions within the administration, but it is often completely inappropriate for athletics. The market for coaches has tightened up in the pst year. Now a four year contract for a Head Hockey Coach is now a $Million deal. Perhaps they want to get it right. That's just fine, but I wish they could get it right - faster!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryecheers View Post
      You are correct in saying that we took too long, but the procedure that the U. uses is designed to insure that no candidate (read: minorities) is left behind. That may work well for many staff positions within the administration, but it is often completely inappropriate for athletics. The market for coaches has tightened up in the pst year. Now a four year contract for a Head Hockey Coach is now a $Million deal. Perhaps they want to get it right. That's just fine, but I wish they could get it right - faster!
      I agree completely. I know they want to look like they are performing their "due diligence" but if they already have their minds set on Laplante, I wish they would just make the announcement and get it over with.
      "We just didn't get the lucky bounces..."

Comment

It's taken 32 days so far. It took ADRoby 2 years to get the guts to drop football.

Comment

I can’t disagree with anyone about Roby. He will be a likely target of the alumni as I think he needs to go and that's a seed I will gladly plant in my dealings with my contemporaries. However, you can’t blame the University for not finding a new guy in 4 weeks, there simply were not enough qualified candidates interested. Although we as a fan base must face the cold hard facts its not going to be pretty. Thus, given the current time constraints, I personally hope they go with Sebastian. However, lets face it they are going to likely suck. It’s going to be a big rebuilding time and that will take years.

Comment

We could have had a new coach in place by now, but the U.'s hiring procedures require an extended period to enable all conceivable minorities to apply. that works well for administrative positions and other jobs , but not for athletics. The problem was the timing of Cro's resignation. If he had wanted to screw up the program, he could not have timed it much better. Head coaches, who might have been interested, were reluctant to leave their programs in the lurch (unlike Cronin). Still there are many very capable Junior coaches and college assistants who are ready for the next step in their Some of their names are among our finalists.

We should be OK if Seb and/or Jimmy take over as they know the personel better than anyone else could and Sebastien, at least already has the players' respect. If their is a problem it will be the result of major defections from the defense that leave us just four D's and a couple of tall and raw backups + a walkon. I've seen tougher situations. We'll find out just how good our goaltending is and how capable are defensive coaching is.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryecheers View Post
              ...Head coaches, who might have been interested, were reluctant to leave their programs in the lurch (unlike Cronin). Still there are many very capable Junior coaches and college assistants who are ready for the next step....
              I take your point re current college head coaches but still surprised that names like Ron Rolston, Jim Montgomery, and Dave Quinn weren't among the finalists. Anybody know if any of them applied but got weeded out? Or just didn't apply, maybe thinking that the process was wired in favor of the inside candidate(s)?
              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

On a non-coaching related matter, our defense seems to have gone from solid to sort of shaky. We know have:

Bitetto-Eibler
                D. Daniels-Ellement
                Oskroba-Hoefler?

With some random EJHL walk-on as the 7th guy, and no one after that. Whoever the coach is hopefully will bring in a defensemen for depth, or maybe at least get Renz to come. Renz is by no means an ideal player but if we can't get Haar to recommit (seems unlikely) he'd be better than what we have on our 3rd defensive pairing.

This also makes me thing that, as sad as it is, Bitetto and Eibler may be broken up to ease the pain of that last pairing. Daniels and Ellement are decent defensemen, but I wouldn't hang them with someone unprepared for college hockey.

Comment

Quinn, Cavanaugh, Dennehy

These 3 are not "qualified"?

AD dropped ball and than kicked it in the bushes...

Set the program back a few years, sad but true

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                    Quinn, Cavanaugh, Dennehy

These 3 are not "qualified"?

AD dropped ball and than kicked it in the bushes...

Set the program back a few years, sad but true
                    Dennehy wasn't going anywhere, he just signed an extension and was making a name for himself at Merrimack. You're also assuming Cavanaugh and Quinn applied, I wouldn't be surprised if the late timing turned some traditional names away. Also, while I am sure that these men are qualified, I think we have an excellent chance at taking a smart hire here.

Comment

The farce goes on! Now we have NO idea of who it might be unless Sabastien gets it. Just my opinion...this is all "bad-Robyism". And one has to wonder about Cronin...was it because of the NHL opportunity or a result of Roby interference or maybe a little of both...my bet is it was MOSTLY Roby interference...any way you cut it...real tough on a program that was really going somewhere! With all that's going on....I still LIKE Cronin....everything a good head coach should be...tough, forceful, blunt and confident in his own abilities. Sounds like everything Roby would hate! Maybe the wrong guy left!

Comment

Roby's not going anywhere. He said to alumni before one of our home games that he planned on staying at NU until his daughter (who I believe is in High School) graduated from NU - so that's what 6 or 7 more years?

He has the trust and respect of Aoun and the execs within the University, and isn't going anywhere.

He applied for other AD jobs before NU and didn't get them, at much lesser/non D-I schools. We were the suckers at the poker table who got bluffed when it came to hiring him.

Comment

Originally posted by GoNU5 View Post
                          Dennehy wasn't going anywhere, he just signed an extension and was making a name for himself at Merrimack. You're also assuming Cavanaugh and Quinn applied, I wouldn't be surprised if the late timing turned some traditional names away. Also, while I am sure that these men are qualified, I think we have an excellent chance at taking a smart hire here.
                          All 3 mentioned for a fact reached out for the job

Comment

Originally posted by canada1 View Post
                            The farce goes on! Now we have NO idea of who it might be unless Sabastien gets it. Just my opinion...this is all "bad-Robyism". And one has to wonder about Cronin...was it because of the NHL opportunity or a result of Roby interference or maybe a little of both...my bet is it was MOSTLY Roby interference...any way you cut it...real tough on a program that was really going somewhere! With all that's going on....I still LIKE Cronin....everything a good head coach should be...tough, forceful, blunt and confident in his own abilities. Sounds like everything Roby would hate! Maybe the wrong guy left!
                            Cronin was never coming back. Wanted to be reinstated and than say, ********** and leave..

Will be a great start to Sebastians regime if he gets it and has to set out for the first 5+/- games. I wonder if that is factored in?
                            Last edited by Hokydad; 07-23-2011, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Hokydad....all three you mentioned are "quality" coachs and I believe probably quite "forceful" so therefore not for NU and definitely not for Roby! And who knows what will happen....after all "yes, master" coachs are hard to find and seldom successful. I doubt Roby wants someone who is stronger than he is...and certainly NOT ANOTHER Cronin who probably told Roby where to "put-it" more than once. I agree with RossiRules and although I hope I'm wrong...I think GoNUS is being overly optomistic about getting an "excellent" candidate. Boy is everybody being "closed-mouthed"...doesn't anybody have any idea who the current candidates might be...not just who is not a candidate? We're dying here quickly!

Comment

Originally posted by canada1 View Post
                                Hokydad....all three you mentioned are "quality" coachs and I believe probably quite "forceful" so therefore not for NU and definitely not for Roby! And who knows what will happen....after all "yes, master" coachs are hard to find and seldom successful. I doubt Roby wants someone who is stronger than he is...and certainly NOT ANOTHER Cronin who probably told Roby where to "put-it" more than once. I agree with RossiRules and although I hope I'm wrong...I think GoNUS is being overly optomistic about getting an "excellent" candidate. Boy is everybody being "closed-mouthed"...doesn't anybody have any idea who the current candidates might be...not just who is not a candidate? We're dying here quickly!
                                Canada1
                                You just have to point your browser to dieharddogs.com. that's where the serious NU folks share their thoughts. We've been discussing the final five candidates all week. FYI Grg Carvel interviewed on Monday, Sebastien on Tuesday, Next came Darren Yopyk, Then Jim Madigan and yesterday was Mark Carlson's day on the hotseat from 8:30 to 5. The braintrust was planning to convene late yesterday to make a choice, AFAIK no one has received a call. I am told that Yopyk signed with the Wild today as he didn't believe he had a shot at the NU job.

Join DHD. That is the place for the broadest discussion of all NU sports.

Comment

Working...
                                X