Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northeastern Huskies Offseason (Discipline: let's find it)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies Offseason (Discipline: let's find it)

Originally posted by smalogna View Post
    There are now reports that O'Connell has been offered the open assistant job at Harvard. I hope that he sticks around NU but Cronin very well could have been the first of many dominoes to fall in the next few weeks.
    That sounds great on the surface, but Havard has been notoriously cheap with their Hockey coaches in the past. The position is a resume' builder, but he shouldn't have to take a pay cut.

I do not think that he would have been a candidate for the NU position.

USHR's commment is completely off the mark:

"In addition, assistant coach Sebastian Laplante, who coached the team to a 2-2-2 record during the absence of Cronin and O’Connell, was suspended for six games. Laplante will serve his six games at the beginning of the upcoming season, which would likely have the effect of removing his name from any list of potential candidates".

The fact is that LaPlante is definitely a candidate. The University went to the trouble of specifically saying so in its news release. He should be the leading candidate as he has been involved in recruiting almost every player, is very well liked and showed his coaching mettle against bu, BC and UNH during Cronin's suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryecheers View Post

LaPlante is definitely a candidate. The University went to the trouble of specifically saying so in its news release. He should be the leading candidate as he has been involved in recruiting almost every player, is very well liked and showed his coaching mettle against bu, BC and UNH during Cronin's suspension.
      Yeah I agree that he proved himself plenty worthy of the position and it is kind of late to bring in a new guy who would want a complete new staff and implement a new system all in the next three months
      GO BU

Comment

Just please, as long as our recruits don't leave.

And LaPlante is more then capable.

Good news: At least this means Clay Witt may start the season!!
        Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
        Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

This is so frustrating. Every time I try to get a feeling for the season, something happens. If the recruits stick around losing Cronin wouldn't be as painful, though.

I'm really hoping Oleksiak isn't headed to Toronto now...signs point otherwise. FFFFFFFUUUUUUU

Comment

Originally posted by Satanic Husky View Post
            I forgot a pen so I couldn't write down specifics but here's what I could remember:

- Cronin said we should be at the point where we're regularly challenging for Beanpot, home ice in HE playoffs and NCAA bearths.
            - Cronin wants the team to be more physical - he said something to the extent of "we're in the city, we gotta play smashmouth hockey."
            - Mike McLaughlin will be the team captain.
            - The improvement in the quality of recruits is a reflection of the program's growth.
            - A decent amount are true freshmen as well.
            - Laplante & Cronin spoke glowingly of recruits, especially the significance of having three of the top eight USHL scorers coming in.
            - Saponari has two years left (coming in a junior).
            - The defense will be BIG this year.
            - Cronin believes NU will have the best defense (might've also said goaltending but I could be wrong there) in HE.
            - Gaudreau will be drafted this month.
            - NU could have around 14 drafted players on the team this year but Cronin doesn't care because those are individual achievements but realizes they are effective for recruiting.
            - Oleksiak will return unless he's drafted by a NHL team that wants him to play major juniors and he doesn't fight it.
            - Quailer will be here the remaining two years. (no surprise, but Cronin mentioned increase in motivation which is nice to hear)
            - Michigan & Notre Dame will return the games next year (Notre Dame will either come here for two games next year or one game for the next two years).

Hopefully someone can fill in anything I missed or if you guys have questions, maybe it'll jog my memory.
            I guess he didn't say anything about bolting for the NHL huh?

Wonder if the puckstar will find a 4th HE school to head to?
            Originally posted by Hokydad
            Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

I doubt Saponari will leave, but who knows, anything could happen at this point I supppose. Nice to see the University give LaPlante a shout-out, I think he's the frontrunner until we hear anything different. Most importantly, if he sticks around it gives us a better chance at holding onto our recruits.
              Also will be interesting to see who we get for an assistant(s). LaPlante and O'Connell have been instrumental in bringing in talent

Makes you wonder though, when Burke came to Matthews, was he scouting Oleksiak or Cronin?

Comment

Originally posted by Satanic Husky View Post
                This is so frustrating. Every time I try to get a feeling for the season, something happens. If the recruits stick around losing Cronin wouldn't be as painful, though.

I'm really hoping Oleksiak isn't headed to Toronto now...signs point otherwise. FFFFFFFUUUUUUU
                I'm not sure if the Leafs will be able to get his rights. It looks like he is being projected as going anywhere from 9th to 16th.

Toronto would most likely have to make a move and trade up to get him.

Comment

Being a fan of this school sucks! everytime there is hope we get kicked in the teeth. It will be a miracle if all recruits stay, Saproni most likely would stay he is already a junior and can't acccept money from another school so doubt he would postpone another year. But the rest could all decide to go back to juniors and look elsewhere.
                  Husky Hockey heading to the top of the bottom!

Comment

If Vinny stays, Gaudreau will probably stay. Why separate yourself from your USHL linemate with whom you formed a lethal combination?
                    Northeastern Huskies

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
                      If Vinny stays, Gaudreau will probably stay. Why separate yourself from your USHL linemate with whom you formed a lethal combination?
                      He could transfer to Vermont and still accomplish that under a known coach

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                        He could transfer to Vermont and still accomplish that under a known coach
                        Yeah but who wants to live in Vermont over Boston?
                        Northeastern Huskies

Comment

A pretty crappy development for NU fans. They have (had?) good reason to be excited about the upcoming season. Saponari and Gaudreau will be impact players. Cody Ferriero and the rest of the team showed poise and hustle against BC in the Hockey East semi's. The animosity between Cronin and the AD must have been a factor in how his exit played out. Him leaving this late, after denying it in April, kind of sounds like he's sticking it to NU.

Originally posted by Ryecheers View Post
                          USHR's comment is completely off the mark:
                          Is USHR losing a little something off their fastball? Their report on Cronin and possible replacements is rehashed scuttlebutt from the internet and other public domain sources. Their reputation for providing inside information isn't bolstered by this article. Given the editor's recent health issues (as reported on their website), they probably deserve the benefit of doubt.
                          The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
                            Yeah but who wants to live in Vermont over Boston?
                            Anyone with an ounce of common sense? Sorry but I find nothing particularly fascinating about Boston. I mean really are people there so stupid that you have to put in all one way streets so they don't get confused?

Comment

Anyone with an ounce of common sense? Sorry but I find nothing particularly fascinating about Boston. I mean really are people there so stupid that you have to put in all one way streets so they don't get confused?
                              I don't drive there so I wouldn't know. What ****es me off is the T closing at 12:30 on weekends? What crap is that?
                              Northeastern Huskies

Comment

Maybe people like that Boston actually has streets unlike Vermont where everyone rides horses from the cheese factory to the maple syrup factory back to the ole' log cabin.
                                GO BU

Comment

Working...
                                X