Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northeastern Huskies Offseason (Discipline: let's find it)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies Offseason (Discipline: let's find it)

Originally posted by NUMcNeely View Post
    Albie is the one who goes on all the recruiting trips, players get to know all of the coaches and the other players, i bet that oleksiak bounces and nobody else
    I've been saying that Oleksiak was bouncing ever since the final rankings placed him solidly in the first round. I think it'll have more to do with which team drafts him than Cronin leaving. Some teams don't seem to mind the college game from a developmental perspective, but I'm guessing there may be some that pressure him, especially if he's drafted on the higher end and is given hope to playing in the NHL sooner rather than later.
    On Jamie Oleksiak:

Originally posted by Hokydad
    If he comes next year he will be eaten alive. Zero chance of success in Hockey East next year

Comment

Originally posted by HungryHungryHuskies View Post
      Some teams don't seem to mind the college game from a developmental perspective, but I'm guessing there may be some that pressure him, especially if he's drafted on the higher end and is given hope to playing in the NHL sooner rather than later.
      Better hope the NY Rangers stay away from him. My God what a dooshy organization they have been towards BC and Chris Kreider.
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

here's another source concerning Cronin http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ken-B...n-In/133/36492
        Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
          I heard it couple days back as well.. did not want to type anything on here hoping it was still rumor & speculation.. the fella who mentioned it is a friend of the Coach, still i thought it was hearsay.. sigh

i have to agree with the Herald.. this is not a rumor, he is gone.

Tough news (like someone mentioned, this late).. also i guess he is better suited for the pro level, never really was high into the academic requirements that go along with these student athletes.. and of course his clashes with Peter Roby did not help.

Sebastian LaPlante is a very able candidate interim or otherwise.
          Bottom line.. we have good recruits & hopefully that does not change.
          I hate to say this, but this is College Hockey's version of Pete Carroll. On a MUCH smaller scale of course. And no NC's that will be forfeited. Man this sucks.
          Last edited by Chickens@NU; 06-20-2011, 12:10 PM.
          Originally posted by Bakunin
          Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

And the Leafs confirm (via TSN Tweets): Greg Cronin & Scott Gordon in, Keith Acton and Tim Hunter out.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

From USHR: Cronin Leaves Northeastern for Leafs

Northeastern University head coach Greg Cronin has been hired as an assistant coach by the Toronto Maple Leafs and will join Ron Wilson’s staff immediately.

Cronin, a Colby alum and Arlington, Mass. native whose father and uncle both played for Northeastern in the late 1950s, was hired from the New York Islanders, where he had coached their Bridgeport affiliate, in the spring of 2005. In his first season, Northeastern won three games, then 13, then 16 before going 25-12-4 in his fourth year. There has been a dropoff the past two years, though future recruiting classes are strong.

This past winter, Cronin and assistant Albie O’Connell were suspended by the school for six games in the wake of compliance officers discovering possible NCAA violations in the form of excess text messaging to players being recruited.

In addition, assistant coach Sebastian Laplante, who coached the team to a 2-2-2 record during the absence of Cronin and O’Connell, was suspended for six games. Laplante will serve his six games at the beginning of the upcoming season, which would likely have the effect of removing his name from any list of potential candidates.

Cronin’s leaving Northeastern is not a major surprise. At the end of the 2009-10 season, Cronin turned down an assistant’s position with the Vancouver Canucks. His relationship with AD Peter Roby, particularly since the suspension, was reportedly poor, and unlikely to get better. All of that fueled speculation, since the end of the season, as to whether Cronin would return to the pro game. That speculation become louder while Cronin was overseas in April working as an assistant on the staff of Team USA’s head coach Scott Gordon at the IIHF World Hockey Championships in Slovakia.

At any rate, Cronin has moved on, so let the speculation concerning his replacement begin. Likely candidates would include BC assistant Mike Cavanaugh, Lake Erie Monsters (AHL) head coach David Quinn, and NTDP head coach Ron Rolston. Former UMass-Lowell assistant Blaise MacDonald could be a strong candidate as well. The stock of Merrimack head coach Mark Dennehy is sky high right now, so Northeastern could go after him. Roby attended Dartmouth with Bob Gaudet; would he try to interest his former classmate in the position? A good outside candidate would be someone like Jim Montgomery, who last month led the expansion Dubuque Fighting Saints to a USHL title.

Assistant coach O’Connell, the key to Northeastern’s recruiting efforts, has been offered the vacant assistant’s position at Harvard, so that’s a viable option for him.

Cronin finishes at Northeastern with an 85-102-27 record

Comment

Hire Crowder?
                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                  From USHR: Cronin Leaves Northeastern for Leafs
                  Article mentions hiring Quinn as a possibility. I'm not sure NU would want to go down that road, especially considering that when Parker retires, though that could be 30 years from now, Quinn is likely going to be candidate 1 or 1A for the BU job. If I were the AD at NU, I'd want a guy that I'd have more assurance would be around to build the program, and not be keeping one eye up the street seeing what's going on with Jackie.
                  time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by Chickens@NU View Post
                    I hate to say this, but this is College Hockey's version of Pete Carroll. On a MUCH smaller scale of course. And no NC's that will be forfeited. Man this sucks.
                    Doesn't seem all that similar to me—Carroll got out ahead of the cavalry, while in Cronin's case, it appears that the (possibly over) reaction of the ADs office and proactive self-sanction led to the irrevocable souring of the relationship with the athletic administration.

I hope you're not drawing the comparison because you have reason to believe that more serious NCAA violations will be coming to light in the near future?
                    Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                    Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
                      Article mentions hiring Quinn as a possibility. I'm not sure NU would want to go down that road, especially considering that when Parker retires,
                      The author was clearly reaching for names. I mean really, Blaise MacDonald could be a strong candidate? Not too mention Montgomery would be crazy to take the job when the position at ME will be opening up soon.
                      Last edited by jcarter7669; 06-20-2011, 02:03 PM.
                      Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                        Doesn't seem all that similar to me—Carroll got out ahead of the cavalry, while in Cronin's case, it appears that the (possibly over) reaction of the ADs office and proactive self-sanction led to the irrevocable souring of the relationship with the athletic administration.

I think it's more likely that Parker remembered to take his meds one morning and subsequently re-lived Cronin bashing one of his players and screaming at JaPa. That of course is all it took as we all know Jackie runs Hockey East. On a good note for Cronin, Parker's dementia will return in a few days and all will be forgotten...literally. Of course Cronin may as well get started on a new career track where throwing the smack down isn't frowned upon quite so much. That was bound to get him in trouble at some point.

It is of course entirely possible that it is a pre-emptive attempt to brush any NCAA violations under the rug. No Cronin no violations??
                        Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

There are now reports that O'Connell has been offered the open assistant job at Harvard. I hope that he sticks around NU but Cronin very well could have been the first of many dominoes to fall in the next few weeks.
                          Northeastern Huskies Class of 2012

Comment

Originally posted by smalogna View Post
                            There are now reports that O'Connell has been offered the open assistant job at Harvard. I hope that he sticks around NU but Cronin very well could have been the first of many dominoes to fall in the next few weeks.
                            It's hard for a new head coach to come in from outside the program and retain old assistants. He needs his guys who know how to coach his style. So I wouldn't be shocked to see most/all of the current assistants to leave along with Cronin.
                            time to write new history

Comment

Via Twitter, Mike McMahon - "In other Northeastern news, Albie O'Connell has been offered the open assistants position at Harvard."

Wouldn't surprise me if Albie goes, but I'm a big fan of Sebastien. Wouldn't mind seeing what he could do with the program if there are no other truly viable outside options.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                                The author was clearly reaching for names. I mean really, Blaise MacDonald could be a strong candidate? Not too mention Montgomery would be crazy to take the job when the position at ME will be opening up soon.
                                While NU may not have the type of program that ME has it does offer some perks.

1. It is a program that has all the top notch facilities along with an administration that seems to be committed to winning.
                                2. It would possibly be easier to recruit players since the academics seem to be stronger and players may rather live in Boston than up in rural Maine.
                                3. Same goes for coaches as well. Living in Boston could be a much more desirable location for a coach and his family than Maine.

Comment

Working...
                                X