Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northeastern Huskies Offseason (Discipline: let's find it)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies Offseason (Discipline: let's find it)

Originally posted by PPGuru View Post
    Huskies 01 - I, too, wonder why you are so hard on Pimm. I thought his game progressed as the season went on last year, just as Cody Ferriero's did. Not the same kind of player as CF, but still a player. Comparing Pimm's first year to what can be expected from Gaudreau in his first year isn't fair to either player. From most accounts, Gaudreau is supposed to be an elite offensive player. I would be happy with the same kind of year Brodie Reid had last season from Gaudreau next season. Reid took a bit of time to find himself, but had hit his stride when it counted at the end of the season.
    As for the Rawlings - Witt debate, I will admit that I wanted Witt to start the last game against BU at Aggannis. After reflecting on things at the end of the season, I have a different view. I don't think it matters so much who plays goal - it is more important how the team is playing defense in front of them that is more important. If the defense doesn't allow the pass across the front and allows Rawlings to square up to the shooter, then he will play very well. If the defense isn't breaking those passes up and Rawlings has to move side to side, he will not play so well. Rawlings' better nights are a result of good team defense more times than his ability to steal a game himself.
    Agree completely. Rawlings was at his best when the defense stepped up, a lot of those shutout games had one or two times where the puck squirted across the crease and a Defenseman was there to clear it. The Defenseman really ensured Rawlings could shutout opponents, they cut down on offense in the crease, and really allowed Rawlings size to control the shots. Rawlings' bad games came when the opposing team could move down the middle and take those grade A chances, and the Defense couldn't clear the opposing players out of the crease. I think our Defense will be even better this year and hopefully can help Rawlings shutdown the opponent's offense.

Comment

Nice article on JJB.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6609799
      Originally posted by Bakunin
      Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

Also, he (Rawlings) can hopefully get a winning record at home. Last season, he seemed more comfortable on the road (more power, nothing wrong with that).. but did not seem as confident at Matthews.

Here's hoping he has as good a showing (or better), at home well as the road.

Nice thing is.. I think his & Witt's best is yet to come. G'luck to them both. Go Huskies
        GO NU HOCKEY
        Always bullish on the future.
        We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Nice article Chickens.. maybe he'll become the Martin St Louis of bouncyball.. good for him. Hopefully he won't forget NU when they call him from the Alumni & Friends right after his new contract .
          GO NU HOCKEY
          Always bullish on the future.
          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

I would LOVE for a Husky to win an NBA Championship. Barea might be the 2nd best player in NU history.
            Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
            Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

I am more hard on the people who touted Pimm to be the next big thing, then Pimm himself, but the kid was a flop, a non-factor last year, no matter what the excuses are, the facts are the facts. Heaven forbid if he goes through a sophomore slump!

As for Rawlings, yes, he played better when the defense was better in front of him, shocker! So did Witt. Yes, Rawlings gives up a head scrather every other week. But the kid was better at the end of the season then he was the beginning then he was at the end of the previous season then he was at the start of his first season. If he continues this improvement, we are looking at an all time great. And as a reminder, in a span of 8 days covering the last day of the regular season through the first round of the playoffs he beat bu 3 out of 4 times, all AT bu. That is more wins in 8 days then Thiessen got in his CAREER against bu. Again ALL ON THE ROAD!!!!!!! He could start October by giving up 8 goals to Army, followed by 7 to Holy Cross, followed by 10 to Bentley, followed by 15 to the club team of UK, and I would still give him the benefit of the doubt after what he did at the end of last year. It was HISTORIC!

All complaining about Rawlings in my book ceased after those 4 games.
              DogHouse Graduate 2001

Comment

With all due respect 2010-2011 BU =/= 2008-2009 BU
                Northeastern Huskies

Comment

Agreed Skinsfan, though BU obviously still fielded a talented team last year and I was very pleasantly surprised we upset them in the QF.

My main point about Rawlings vs. Witt was that Witt is the guy who can steal us a game or two if our team collapses or doesn't play defense, while Rawlings is more likely to not give a crappy team any chance of victory, if that makes sense.

I think Pimm will slowly grow each year, he'll be the 4 year player who by his senior year is producing a solid 20 points or so. He played really well in the QF against BU (his goal was pretty nice), and I think he'll be a decent 3rd/4th line player who plays well on the PK too

Comment

I just don't trust Rawlings until about 10 minutes into the game. We don't know how good Witt would be starting but he is so much faster laterally and when he was in he did not give up one crap goal that I can think of. Every goal the opponent had to fight for or it was a perfectly set up snipe.
                    Northeastern Huskies

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
                      I just don't trust Rawlings until about 10 minutes into the game. We don't know how good Witt would be starting but he is so much faster laterally and when he was in he did not give up one crap goal that I can think of. Every goal the opponent had to fight for or it was a perfectly set up snipe.
                      You don't trust him until 10 minutes into the game and I don't trust him in the last 10 minutes of the game. He's given up a bunch of goals during the past 10 minutes that have proven costly. Some examples would abe the two UNH games late in his freshman year and that awful softie late in OT against Merrimack/Cucci last season.

OTOH, you are correct about Witt's mobility. I also cannot remember him allowing a softie. He seems technically stronger and in control of his situation.
                      Last edited by Ryecheers; 06-02-2011, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GoNU5 View Post
                        I think Pimm will slowly grow each year, he'll be the 4 year player who by his senior year is producing a solid 20 points or so. He played really well in the QF against BU (his goal was pretty nice), and I think he'll be a decent 3rd/4th line player who plays well on the PK too
                        Mea culpa concerning a bit of overhype of Pimm. My source was impeccable, and indeed Pimm subsequently had a stellar final season in Juniors. As I explained during the season, his adjustment to the college game and to Cronin's system was slower than expected. He played most games as the third/fourth line center with wingers who weren't scoring even a goal a weekend. That sure cuts down on a center's assist total. By the end of season, he was contributing at both ends and had three GWGs among his six goals.

I'm very optomistic about the possibility of growth from our sophs like Pimm and Dongara, the "return" of Quailer, Tuckerman and perhaps Vrolyk and maybe even an awakening from JDaniels' year long coma.

Comment

I've been reading this forum for a while now but finally got around to actually registering/posting. Northeastern student, proud Husky.

Originally posted by roma View Post
                          Friends Meeting: Tuesday June 14, at 6:00 in the varsity room.
                          Membership:
                          Regular: $40.00
                          Students: $10.00
                          Recent Grads: $10.00, 2011, 10, 09

No need to speculate about how good the recruits are. Very Frank discussion about the recruits, returning players, schedule, the good, the bad, the ugly,etc. Questions are welcome.
                          Nothing is off the table; Example:“why did you use your own phones for the text messages?”
                          When Greg Cronin was at Maine they had over one thousand members of their Friends Group, but very few students. NU has about 200 members and perhaps only 10 student members! Why?
                          I am very interested in this. Is it suit/tie like the banquet was & would I be able to pay the $10 at the door?

Comment

Originally posted by Satanic Husky View Post
                            I've been reading this forum for a while now but finally got around to actually registering/posting. Northeastern student, proud Husky.

I am very interested in this. Is it suit/tie like the banquet was & would I be able to pay the $10 at the door?
                            If you wear a jacket and tie, I will personally humiliate you and your ancestors! Look like a student and you will receive a warm welcome. Of course you can join at the meeting. Ask for Louise.

You will learn a great deal about the program and its prospects.

Comment

Ryecheers....loved your great response to Satanic Husky....I'm sure he couldn't feel more welcome. NOW....hopefully you will give us long-distance followers a detailed and LENGTHY summary of EVERYTHING you find out about next year's team and recruits! I wouldn't complain if it took up TWO pages of this thread. GONUS....where are you?

Comment

• Originally posted by canada1 View Post
                                Ryecheers....loved your great response to Satanic Husky....I'm sure he couldn't feel more welcome. NOW....hopefully you will give us long-distance followers a detailed and LENGTHY summary of EVERYTHING you find out about next year's team and recruits! I wouldn't complain if it took up TWO pages of this thread. GONUS....where are you?
                                Here, also looking forward to what is reported at the meeting. I recall last year's gave a lot to mull over in regard to recruits, future season. Cronin may also flesh out the schedule some, I think we still have an OOC game to fill in. Should be very interesting, and I'll bet we fill up a few pages discussing what is expressed at the meeting.

Comment

Working...
                                X