Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northeastern Huskies Offseason (Discipline: let's find it)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies Offseason (Discipline: let's find it)

Just found this....check it out #5

http://dansallows.com/top-10-junior-...-11/#more-1602

Sallows is an amatuer scout and this is the only hit from the USHL on this year's list. Fun to watch-commentary line says that it looks like the opposing player ran into a tree.
    Last edited by canada1; 05-27-2011, 12:41 PM.

Comment

So where does Haar fit in with the rest of our D?
      Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
      Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Haar is a strong Dman and he will help out a lot. Really like Olesiak. Question is will he turn Pro? He'll be a first rounder for sure. Great Great player!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Papa View Post
          Haar is a strong Dman and he will help out a lot. Really like Olesiak. Question is will he turn Pro? He'll be a first rounder for sure. Great Great player!!!
          So who's he likely to be paired up with? A Haar-Oleksiak shutdown pairing?
          Northeastern Huskies

Comment

Haar will be strong from the start I think, he seems the most ready of our D-men. Not sure where he'll be, my thinking is on the 2nd pairing with Oleksiak. Haar is one of the smaller D-men on our team at 6'0'', and has offensive power, so fitting him with Oleksiak could be a nice fit. I think (and hope) Oleksiak will stay another year, a guy his size needs some time to mature. Luckily he's projected for later in the first, so as long as a team with a drastic need isn't drafting him I think we'll have him for one more year.

Comment

Originally posted by GoNU5 View Post
              Haar will be strong from the start I think, he seems the most ready of our D-men. Not sure where he'll be, my thinking is on the 2nd pairing with Oleksiak. Haar is one of the smaller D-men on our team at 6'0'', and has offensive power, so fitting him with Oleksiak could be a nice fit. I think (and hope) Oleksiak will stay another year, a guy his size needs some time to mature. Luckily he's projected for later in the first, so as long as a team with a drastic need isn't drafting him I think we'll have him for one more year.
              I talked to Oleksiak earlier this year and he definitely spoke of needing to grow into his huge frame. That's why he didn't play in the CHL among other reasons.
              Northeastern Huskies

Comment

All this talk about the incoming class is fun and all, but in the end, freshmen are freshmen and are unpredictable. Look at what Braden Pimm did last year, which was basically nothing. And this was a kid who had been touted on a few boards as ready to play at NU two years ago, on Vitale's team. After watching him this year, I highly doubt it. I think the two big additions will be Renz and Haar. The rest are up for grabs about what they are going to do. I am not counting Vinny in that because he has already played at this level and will need zero time adjusting. He is a transfer as far as I am concerned, not a freshmen.

This season will be won or lost, not by the defense which will be the best in Hockey East, or the goalie who at worst will be a Top 3 goalie in Hockey East, but by certain guys up front. Quailer, Vermeersch, Daniels J, Tuckerman, and Vrolyk. These 5 are the new leaders up front. These 5 are all juniors now, and with one senior up front, they need to also play like seniors. These 5 all had huge sophomore slumps, (though to be fair to Vrolyk he did get in only 11 games last year, but only managed 1 goal and 1 assist). Yeah a few of those guys are working back from injury, or did, but none of them were difference makers last year, and now its their turn.

And honestly, the focus up front should REALLY be on these 3 guys; Quailer, Vermeersch and Justin Daniels. They should be embarrassed that Dongara scored more points then they did last year. EMBARRASSED. A small, weak freshmen whose only game is his wheels? Dongara is a nice little player, but his top game, is not anywhere near the level of what those 3 average games should be. Throw in the fact that Steve Silva scored more goals then those three combined did last year should have those guys hitting the weights every morning at 6 followed by tons and tons of skating.

They are the ones who are going to start the season getting last years top lines minutes. They are the ones who are going to be counted on for goals. They are the ones who are going to be counted on for leadership. Forget Gaudreau, if we are counting on him to be the guy next year, season is over before it started. If those guys finally live up to their billing, we will be bringing home a trophy from somewhere next year, and going farther then any Cronin team has gone before.
                DogHouse Graduate 2001

Comment

Originally posted by Huskies01 View Post
                  They are the ones who are going to start the season getting last years top lines minutes. They are the ones who are going to be counted on for goals. They are the ones who are going to be counted on for leadership. Forget Gaudreau, if we are counting on him to be the guy next year, season is over before it started. If those guys finally live up to their billing, we will be bringing home a trophy from somewhere next year, and going farther then any Cronin team has gone before.
                  Well, I'm excited that the #2 scorer in the USHL is coming I don't know about you. We need finishers. And yes, they had better pick it the F up. Quailer though, was much better than his stat line looked. He would've had a lot more points if his partners in crime could ever finish. Daniels was terrible. The worst of all of them. Quailer created a lot of opportunities and even Vermeesch on occasion but Vermeesch is like Alexander Semin but without the insane shot. Too reliant on stickhandling instead of just straight forward hockey. But let's be real, Saponari + Gaudreau are going to be a filthy line. Gaudreau is a player that could've easily played at BC - small, lots of talent and speedy.
                  Northeastern Huskies

Comment

Pimm didn't produce a lot of offense (6-3-9), but he had some good stickhandling skills and played well all year. I do agree though, this is the time our upperclassmen need to step up. They got hampered with injuries, or had opportunities but couldn't finish (Quailer reminded me this year of McLaughlin in 09-10, with multiple post-ringers and such that made him snakebitten). I hope they spend the offseason prepping and can be ready come the fall. If they can do that, and if our newcomers can produce like they did in the USHL, we could go far.
                    Last edited by GoNU5; 05-28-2011, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Clay. Witt.
                      Northeastern Huskies

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
                        Clay. Witt.
                        Backup goaltender to Chris. Rawlings.

As for Gaudreau, we had the #1 scorer from the USHL come to NU 4 seasons ago. Made it to the all Hockey East freshmen team. Left after one season. Saponari is going to pick up where he left off at bu. He is a known factor. Gaudreau, not so much.

GONU5 - if Pimm had been playing so well, he would have seen more time on the ice as the season went on. The fact that he was glued to the bench while other freshman forwards played in front of him, not only 5 v 5 but on the PP, not to mention underwhelming upperclassmen leads me to hope that he realizes he needs more then just good stickhandling skills if he plans on getting on the ice this year. There are 4 freshmen forwards, Sapanori and a returning Tuckerman. Based off what he did last year, there is a very good chance Pimm is going to be sitting next to you in the balcony if he doesn't come back in the fall as a different player.
                        DogHouse Graduate 2001

Comment

Sigh. I hope by this junior year Rawlings gets his **** together and stops the shutout to 8 goals against nonsense. We need consistency.
                          Northeastern Huskies

Comment

As for Gaudreau, we had the #1 scorer from the USHL come to NU 4 seasons ago. Made it to the all Hockey East freshmen team. Left after one season. Saponari is going to pick up where he left off at bu. He is a known factor. Gaudreau, not so much.

GONU5 - if Pimm had been playing so well, he would have seen more time on the ice as the season went on. The fact that he was glued to the bench while other freshman forwards played in front of him, not only 5 v 5 but on the PP, not to mention underwhelming upperclassmen leads me to hope that he realizes he needs more then just good stickhandling skills if he plans on getting on the ice this year. There are 4 freshmen forwards, Sapanori and a returning Tuckerman. Based off what he did last year, there is a very good chance Pimm is going to be sitting next to you in the balcony if he doesn't come back in the fall as a different player.
                            101:
                            What in the world were you thinking with your comments about Pimm?? Yes, the kid took a bit longer than expected to absorb and adjust to Cronin's system. That was probably due to the fact that he'd played the past three years for a strong coach with a very different offensive system. His team, The Vernon (B.C.) Vipers won the national championship during his last two years when he centered the second line.
                            He started the year as the fourth line center. He finished as the regular center for the third line, as a PK and was getting more time on the power play. He and Dongara each scord six goals. That is the most of any returning player after McLaughlin's 11. While Robbie's goals may been more exciting, but Pimm had three game winners. Only McLeod had more (4). In addition Pimm's 16.2% shooting percentage was second on the team to McLaughlin's 17.5. In the final games against bu (and two of his junior teammates, Gill and Noonan), he was a bear on defense and along the boards.

There is no point in comparing Costello and Gaudreau. I've seen both play and their games are vastly different. Costello had to be set up and needed another real gunner to pad his assists. He had Tampa Bay's Pat Purcell to do that in Juniors. Gaudreau also had great linemates, but his skating and creative passing skills dwarf Costello's. He is a good student and could have gone to play anywhere. Coming in with Saponari will provide benefits to both players. This was a real recruiting coup for Seb and Albie.

I agree that Haar should be able to step into Hewkin's spot and contribute additional offense from the blue line. I've only seen him play once and his defensive skills looked better than Newton's at the same stage. As for Renz, Vernon is expecting him to return next season to sharpen parts of his game. I think that may happen given our numbers on D and the fact that none our defensemen is a senior this season (although we could lose one to the pros). I don't know if our coaches have made a decision yet.

FWIW, While both goaltenders are very capable, I feel more confident with Witt in the net.
                            Last edited by Ryecheers; 05-28-2011, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Anyone who doesn't feel more confident with Witt in net is fooling themselves.
                              Northeastern Huskies

Comment

Huskies 01 - I, too, wonder why you are so hard on Pimm. I thought his game progressed as the season went on last year, just as Cody Ferriero's did. Not the same kind of player as CF, but still a player. Comparing Pimm's first year to what can be expected from Gaudreau in his first year isn't fair to either player. From most accounts, Gaudreau is supposed to be an elite offensive player. I would be happy with the same kind of year Brodie Reid had last season from Gaudreau next season. Reid took a bit of time to find himself, but had hit his stride when it counted at the end of the season.
                                As for the Rawlings - Witt debate, I will admit that I wanted Witt to start the last game against BU at Aggannis. After reflecting on things at the end of the season, I have a different view. I don't think it matters so much who plays goal - it is more important how the team is playing defense in front of them that is more important. If the defense doesn't allow the pass across the front and allows Rawlings to square up to the shooter, then he will play very well. If the defense isn't breaking those passes up and Rawlings has to move side to side, he will not play so well. Rawlings' better nights are a result of good team defense more times than his ability to steal a game himself.

Comment

Working...
                                X