Merrimack College 2010-2011: playoff run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Merrimack College 2010-2011: playoff run

I'm dissapointed that I won't be able to see the Eagles play in Manchester but this is one BC fan that would just as soon not have to play you guys again right away. Maybe in three weeks in St. Paul. I've got a niece who graduated from Merrimack and there's been a fair amount of friendly trash talking this week between us. I guess I'll be in Manchester as a part time Mack fan this weekend. Would love to see you guys advance. Don't take ND lightly. They'll be ready but if your guys paly like they did this past weekend they can stay with, and beat, just about anybody. Good Luck!
    sigpicHalf of what he says goes way over my head. The other half goes way, way over my head."

Comment

Nobody left in this tourny is going to be a pushover, but BC is clearly the class of the sport and we kept it pretty close with them, also we know we can go toe to toe with UNH if it comes to that (setting aside home-team advantages).

Now, I'm sure I'm not the only Mack fan or HEA fan who basically knows jack about the Fighting Irish. Can anyone executive-summarize Notre Dame, what kind of game they have, strengths and weaknesses?

Comment

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
        Nobody left in this tourny is going to be a pushover, but BC is clearly the class of the sport and we kept it pretty close with them, also we know we can go toe to toe with UNH if it comes to that (setting aside home-team advantages).

Now, I'm sure I'm not the only Mack fan or HEA fan who basically knows jack about the Fighting Irish. Can anyone executive-summarize Notre Dame, what kind of game they have, strengths and weaknesses?
        Outstanding team, very disciplined. Jeff Jackson will have just as may supporters for the best coach in the country. http://www.und.com/sports/m-hockey/m...on_jeff00.html

He was a Paul Kariya hat trick in the third period away from winning 3 national titles at Lake Superior, similar to BC. But, all 3 would have been in a row.....

Will be a huge test, as will Miami, if they win. MC will have to play their best. Can only hope SD is closer to being 100%. They will need that from him

Should be a blast. Cant wait

ND is primarily a US team with only 3 Canadians. They have a superstar freshman in TJ Tynan with 52 points.

Deep and fast. Have been a hair off over last 5/6 games. MC will have to play best to win but they should.
        Last edited by Hokydad; 03-20-2011, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_NH View Post
          Can you imagine the angst, rage, and turmoil in Durham if Merrimack manages to exit Manchester victorious? "These...these...whippersnappers get into the NCAAs for the first time ever while we get sent home...again!"
          Durham, how about Miami for likely losing to ANOTHER Hockey East team.
          time to write new history

Comment

Hokydad, Do you have any opinions on the recruits out of the BCHL? I know most of them are older players, some putting up good numbers. I've only seen Toomey and Mansfield play. Neither one impresses me that much. I look for Velleca to make some significant steps and contribute more offensively next year. Love Velleca's speed. Have liked the kid since seeing him play on the same Monarchs line as Flynn and Burke.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
              Hokydad, Do you have any opinions on the recruits out of the BCHL? I know most of them are older players, some putting up good numbers. I've only seen Toomey and Mansfield play. Neither one impresses me that much. I look for Velleca to make some significant steps and contribute more offensively next year. Love Velleca's speed. Have liked the kid since seeing him play on the same Monarchs line as Flynn and Burke.
              MC has had amazing luck with picking and recruiting kids others over look. The real key now is that Yopik is out there and is loyal to MD. He is their key on the recruiting side. He sees these players eevry day

Comment

Myers has been looking studly out of the BCHL for next year.
                Before there was a band there was "the drum guy"

@SalvucciM

Comment

Originally posted by jdevoejr View Post
                  I'm dissapointed that I won't be able to see the Eagles play in Manchester but this is one BC fan that would just as soon not have to play you guys again right away. Maybe in three weeks in St. Paul. I've got a niece who graduated from Merrimack and there's been a fair amount of friendly trash talking this week between us. I guess I'll be in Manchester as a part time Mack fan this weekend. Would love to see you guys advance. Don't take ND lightly. They'll be ready but if your guys paly like they did this past weekend they can stay with, and beat, just about anybody. Good Luck!
                  Same sentiment about BC/Manchester... although I have checked out flights to St. Louis.

My daughter graduated from Merrimack also, in 2008, and she knows the seniors on the team. We have the same friendly bickering going on. She and most of her Mack teammates from 2005-2008 showed up at the Garden Friday night. It was a nice reunion for them and I ran into some of the other parents also. They give me grief with my BC attire on. If I wind up in St. Louis, she'll inherit 2 more tix to see her team.
                  'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by Salvo1017 View Post
                    Myers has been looking studly out of the BCHL for next year.
                    His statistics are good, but he is an overager dominating the league. What concerns me is he wasn't even the top scorer on his team in the playoffs. Some kid committed to Bentley was the leading scorer in the playoffs for another team where MC has some commitments. That is why you always have to analyze statistics in junior hockey with a grain of salt. I'm not saying the kid won't develop, but you can't just assume big numbers in juniors will parlay into big success at HE.
                    Last edited by irishfan85; 03-20-2011, 11:20 PM.

Comment

His statistics are good, but he is an overager dominating the league. What concerns me is he wasn't even the top scorer on his team in the playoffs. Some kid committed to Bentley was the leading scorer in the playoffs for another team where MC has some commitments. That is why you always have to analyze statistics in junior hockey with a grain of salt. I'm not saying the kid won't develop, but you can't just assume big numbers in juniors will parlay into big success at HE.
                      But if you don't score in Jr you rarely turn into a scorer in HE so you need to be a scorer in Jr to even have a fighting chance.

BCHL and AJHL are very similar and Myers looks like he's another Barton, Todd, etc. type of player. That's what I would expect. You could have said the same about ellis and heywood (overagers) and they are 2 of the best dmen on the team.

the EJ sucks. flat out awful. any kid who could go to a CC team like MC, CM, BC High would leave there to go play for an EJ team is a friggin moron.

So the EJ sucks

Even the SJHL isnt wat it used to be. AJHL and BCHL are the best out west in my opinion really

Comment

You guys have had a great run this year but I think the inexperience will catch up to you in game 1 when MC loses 5-2. Hopefully the bandwagon fans stay for next season.
                        Last edited by TopShelf999; 03-21-2011, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
                          Durham, how about Miami for likely losing to ANOTHER Hockey East team.
                          You guys better hurry up and change your name to Boston Catholic College or something like that then. We've beaten better teams than Merrimack in front of their home crowds in the NCAA's.

Comment

Originally posted by 'MackFan View Post
                            But if you don't score in Jr you rarely turn into a scorer in HE so you need to be a scorer in Jr to even have a fighting chance.

BCHL and AJHL are very similar and Myers looks like he's another Barton, Todd, etc. type of player. That's what I would expect. You could have said the same about ellis and heywood (overagers) and they are 2 of the best dmen on the team.

the EJ sucks. flat out awful. any kid who could go to a CC team like MC, CM, BC High would leave there to go play for an EJ team is a friggin moron.

So the EJ sucks

Even the SJHL isnt wat it used to be. AJHL and BCHL are the best out west in my opinion really
                            All of what you said is true except for the fact that the EJHL sucks. It certainly is far less than USHL, BCHL and AJHL, but there are some players who play in the EJHL who end up being 100 point scorers in college hockey. The depth is the big issue in the EJHL. High school hockey has really taken a hit. SJP and MC were two of the best teams I've seen in a while in HS hockey. Overall, it really has fallen off.

I hope all of the incoming recruits end up fitting into the role that Dennehy sees for them and obviously some of them will need to be good offensively to make up for loss of Cucci, Barton, Da Costa. However, I've seen too many prolific scorers come in and fizzle out. Taras Foremsky comes to mind.

Comment

All of what you said is true except for the fact that the EJHL sucks. It certainly is far less than USHL, BCHL and AJHL, but there are some players who play in the EJHL who end up being 100 point scorers in college hockey. The depth is the big issue in the EJHL. High school hockey has really taken a hit. SJP and MC were two of the best teams I've seen in a while in HS hockey. Overall, it really has fallen off.

I hope all of the incoming recruits end up fitting into the role that Dennehy sees for them and obviously some of them will need to be good offensively to make up for loss of Cucci, Barton, Da Costa. However, I've seen too many prolific scorers come in and fizzle out. Taras Foremsky comes to mind.
                              Yeah, mental makeup too. Foremsky was a head case.

What I meant was that scoring translates better from the AJHL and BCHL to hockey east. The EJ produces some good players but I'm willing to bet more go DIII than DI. The ones that do go DI aren't generally the ones making any sort of impact. THere are some, but the EJ is what most use as a way to get to the USHL. Collins had the chance to play in the EJ and wanted to go the BCHL route and so did the coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
                                You guys better hurry up and change your name to Boston Catholic College or something like that then. We've beaten better teams than Merrimack in front of their home crowds in the NCAA's.
                                None from Hockey East that's for sure. This teams is as physical and talented as any team in the country, they only lack post season experience. If they can get over the nerves, they will be in St. Paul.

Comment

Working...
                                X